Here is another one in which the winner is a surprise to me
Old 11-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
VW yeah no thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I get it, its a good platform and that the cheapest version and has very nice interior (IMO). Shares same platform as Audi A3 and TT, TTS. Think they are even working on a small Porsche on the same platform not bad company. It is a lot better all around car then the Camaro. Camaro is amazing SPORTS/MUSCLE CAR but thats a narrow focus. VW Golf GTI is a 4 door car that is relatively cheap, Sporty, Practical, Versatile, economical, All wheel drive, easy to drive. Ticks off a lot more boxes for a lot more people. Would I buy one (maybe some day if fuel gets stupid expensive) not today, I have a truck for daily driver I need it for my work and to tow a boat weekends, and I have a Camaro for fun and weekends because it is awesome to drive, looks bad_ss, has V8 power and sound. If I could only have one vehicle it would be a truck because its what I need. Which is my point I love my Camaro but for most it is impractical (as good as it is). It can't tow, can't carry much, can't fit real people in the back, it's tough for the average driver to see out off (my wife would hit everything in it).
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Well, they also called the CR-V an SUV, and gave it the SUV of the year despite the fact it can barely tow a bicycle rack.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
trashmanssd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Well, they also called the CR-V an SUV, and gave it the SUV of the year despite the fact it can barely tow a bicycle rack.
Yeah that I would really have to stretch to defend that. CUV category I get it but SUV seems to me to mean at least good (not great) off road and can tow at least 5k-6k pounds (not 3000 pounds on 1" receiver). These CUV's are just minivans with 2" lift, front or AWD, and not so minivan ugly.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Where are all the hellkittens? The Dodge marketing machine would have eaten this up.

700HP CAR OF THE MILLENNIUMS FOREVER*

*NHRA certified millennium equal to one Earth year.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
It wins for one of the ugliest of the year for sure.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
what ? All sucker mom transportation!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
I've had 2 VW a MK4 99 Jetta and 2002 Golf. They have come along way. Good job to the GTI for improving every year. It's almost like watching your lil brother grow up and becoming a champ.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Would you prefer it if they had:
Car of the Year
Truck of the Year
SUV of the Year
Crossover of the Year
Wagon of the Year *
Personal Urban Mobility Device of the Year **
Miscellaneous Transportation Machine of the Year ***
* wagons are technically trucks in terms of vehicle classification, but just as it seems strange to include crossovers as SUVs, wagons aren't really trucks.

** small, single or double seat vehicles of limited speed that are ideally suited to navigating congested urban areas.

*** Any people-mover that isn't covered by the above categories. Excludes mass-transit.

If crossovers like the CR-V are going to be put into a category, the best one is SUVs because 99% of the time, people buy them for the exact same reasons: they sit high, have lots of space, and they look truck-ish.

And since it has to be said every single year ... a significant part of the Motor Trend ____ of the Year award is how well it does its intended function. If its not meant to tow things, why should it be penalized for not being able to? It makes as much sense as whining about sports cars getting bad fuel economy or an economy car for having poor acceleration.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
trashmanssd

I would prefer it. Crossovers have become a huge market bigger than real SUV's they deserve their own segment. They are a hybrid Car/SUV/Minivan/Station wagon little bits and pieces from each. They are called crossovers for a reason they are not a true SUV or a true Car. I just feel it can't win a category it isn't truly committed to. I would not want a Crossover to win car of the year also. But I believe it is worthy of its own category or just change it to CUV of the year and drop SUV of the year as really SUV's are a dying breed.I know its semantics but I am old and stubborn and I hate change.

Last edited by trashmanssd; 11-14-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
you knew we were headed this way when the trailblazer was blazed..haha.. I owned 3 (GMC Version) loved em.. I won't own 3 bicycle haulers haha