Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
GeorgeM

Drives: 2016 2SS, Yellowjacket, A8
2SS sound system nothing more than a simple radio!

PANDORA! That system that requires you to have your cellphone when you drive? Then plug your phone into the console, sign-in, input password (so now you have a loose phone sliding around with a wire attached), all that just to hear music? GET THE HECK OUTTA HERE! And it uses up cellphone data.

After spending several months talking to other Camaro owners, I can safely say that there are a some unhappy owners who are not thrilled with what amounts to a simple radio in the Camaro. There is no CD player, and try copying compressed CD's onto a thumbdrive that will actually play. There are formatting issues that a lot of us cannot overcome. Further, why should it be such a hassle, the thumbdrive, or Pandora, just to listen to the radio. What we are left with is a simple AM/FM radio (which even the most basic car models have), that's it!

Give me the Ford product (they have CD players), you can keep your GM cars. My wife bought a Lincoln because all GM products, including Cadillac, ditched the CD. Yes, not having a CD player is a deal buster.

Pandora, thumbdrive, FORGET ABOUT IT, it's too much of a hassle.
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
Wait, didn't we tackle this rant back in February?
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
I don't know, the 2ss stereo works and sounds great for me. How about sat radio? I pay about $50 a year for serius xm. They are easy to bargain with.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
GeorgeM

Drives: 2016 2SS, Yellowjacket, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
Wait, didn't we tackle this rant back in February?
Yes, and that is why my post states "After spending several months talking to other Camaro owners", so it' not just me ranting! There is a good percentage of other owners who feel the same.

Now you know.
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Toons
Speed Racer

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Wait, you don't take a phone with you when you drive?
Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
PANDORA! That system that requires you to have your cellphone when you drive? Then plug your phone into the console, sign-in, input password (so now you have a loose phone sliding around with a wire attached), all that just to hear music? GET THE HECK OUTTA HERE! And it uses up cellphone data.

After spending several months talking to other Camaro owners, I can safely say that there are a some unhappy owners who are not thrilled with what amounts to a simple radio in the Camaro. There is no CD player, and try copying compressed CD's onto a thumbdrive that will actually play. There are formatting issues that a lot of us cannot overcome. Further, why should it be such a hassle, the thumbdrive, or Pandora, just to listen to the radio. What we are left with is a simple AM/FM radio (which even the most basic car models have), that's it!

Give me the Ford product (they have CD players), you can keep your GM cars. My wife bought a Lincoln because all GM products, including Cadillac, ditched the CD. Yes, not having a CD player is a deal buster.

I guess I don't understand...my thumb drive worked perfectly from the beginning. I use no folders...just copy the mp3 files from my computer to the root directory on the thumb drive. Then plug into the USB slot in my center console and select Media. It's no more complicated than that. It should work in all of our cars this way. The only variable should be the thumb drive itself. If there's an issue with the USB module, that can be replaced under warranty.

As for Pandora...again, not sure i understand the problem...when I get into the car, I place my phone on my magnetic mount, plug in my charging cable, and fire up Android Auto (all of this takes maybe 5 seconds). The last station/app I listened to is queued up (usually Pandora) and either starts playing automatically or I press "play" to start (depending on how I left it last time I stopped the car). Dead simple...and because my phone is connected, the sound quality is great (better than possible over Bluetooth). And who doesn't want their phone to have more charge when they get out of the car than when they got in?

Last thing I don't understand...why would anyone want to carry CDs in their car? Here are reasons I don't want to:

1. Heat is bad for them.
2. Cold is bad for them.
3. There's no good place to store them in the Camaro.
4. I don't want to have to swap them out while driving (dangerous).

Anyway, just thought I'd offer an alternate perspective. In my view, the audio system in my Camaro is really great!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post

Then sell your Camaro because you sound technically ignorant. Go get a Ford and enjoy the simplicity of CDs. It's not that hard to put songs on a thumb drive or hdd and go. Never had a issue and have used several formats mainly flac and mp3 no issues and I use a 1 tb hdd. Super easy and have yet to meet another Chevy user that's had issues other then the few I've seen in this forum. So sell the Camaro and go Ford. Bye
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #8
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Chevro...-/332299648391
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Lol
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:07 AM   #10
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
all I hear is, "Waaaaaaaaaa I'm technilogically retarded"
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #11
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
89 bucks, sweet deal.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
You won't buy / enjoy the finest sports / muscle / pony cars that's ever come along because it does have a CD player?

I'm not sure how to even respond to that...

I'll go with:

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Rediculous....I'm 67 and it is not hard at all to Fire up iTunes, burn a cd and transfer it Via cut and paste to the USB. I hardly want the 8-10 CDs attached to my visor like we used to do, nor do I like looking for a song and shuffling CDs at 70 miles an hour on the interstate. Gm is on the right track by getting rid of CD'S, if you want one, quit whining and buy an $80 one off amazon and play it thru your AUX.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #14
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
You're doing something wrong if you have issues with ripped music playing. I've got stuff ripped from CDA, converted from MP4 (with video stripped), converted from m4a, from ogg, from wma and varying encodings of MP3.. Some have embedded lyrics in the MP3, all have album covers that show up with the song. Hell, some of my stuff is transcoded directly from friggin YouTube music videos.

It's not just a simple radio and why on Earth would you want to waste space with an optical reader?
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote