Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Rough ride?

Being a previous SS owner, the ride is different than the SS on a ZL1. It handles better in every way but the bumps are killing the smoothness. My SS usually absorbed all the bumps on the road without a problem. With my ZL1, the ride feels great but whenever I hit a bump it seems like I'm actually hitting a pothole. Also, my front right tire sounds like it's hitting the wheel well on every bump. Anyone have similar problems?
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
135Hoser

Drives: A bunch
That's quite odd, I find the ZL1 to be quite comfortable.

Are you sure your suspension is in tour mode, not sport? That will make a big difference.

You should be able to talk to the dealership about your ride quality concerns.
135Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #3
Shakeandbake

Drives: 2014 Black ZL1
My ss was lowered 1.5 inches and compared to my zl1 it's night and day. I think you may have an issue with the mag ride or suspension components. Head to the dealer.
Shakeandbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Make absolutely sure that the dealer removed the front shipping spacers from the springs. If they are still on the car, they will be easy to spot, they're bright yellow.

Many dealers forget to take them out during PDI.

Also, the dealer should have installed two small 'winglets' at the front corners of the car below the front fenders.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
That's quite odd, I find the ZL1 to be quite comfortable.

Are you sure your suspension is in tour mode, not sport? That will make a big difference.

You should be able to talk to the dealership about your ride quality concerns.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Make absolutely sure that the dealer removed the front shipping spacers from the springs. If they are still on the car, they will be easy to spot, they're bright yellow.

Also, the dealer should have installed two small 'winglets' at the front corners of the car below the front fenders.

This is correct.I suspect this is what is going on.Let us know what you find out please.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
I drive around town in PTM 5, and it is a bit tooth rattling, but it's not anything punishing to me. Tour mode feels very smooth. I'm interested in hearing if there is an issue.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
SCHUSS
709 RWHP & 677 RWTQ

Drives: 13' HPE 800 ZL1..... IOM vert, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

First thought.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I agree, I think the magnet ride control, is way too stiff and sensitive. On a smooth road its great, but hit a bug in the road and you feel like you hit a speed bump. I would much rather have shock absorbers then what they use in this car. imo its expensive mistake with too much hype.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeandbake View Post
My ss was lowered 1.5 inches and compared to my zl1 it's night and day. I think you may have an issue with the mag ride or suspension components. Head to the dealer.
Or the dealer DIDNT remove the shipping plastic brackets from the OP's car
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
The dealer did remove the spacers. There were two of them sitting inside my car when I picked it up. I'm guessing the mag ride is probably sensitive to small bumps but for some reason my one wheel in the front seems like it's hitting the wheel well. The car was also in tour mode the whole way home
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I agree, I think the magnet ride control, is way too stiff and sensitive. On a smooth road its great, but hit a bug in the road and you feel like you hit a speed bump. I would much rather have shock absorbers then what they use in this car. imo its expensive mistake with too much hype.
Sounds like you need to downgrade sir, Get an SS with RS package. Seriously an expensive mistake it is not, The cars suspension was built to be a daily driver and then take it to the track. If your only using the car for 50% of it's intended purpose you bought the wrong car otherwise you would have more respect for the work that was put into it. The Mag ride is worth every penny. The op either has a faulty part or more than likely still has those spring spacers in it. It's also possible that the alignment got messed up somehow. He needs to take it to the dealership for diagnostics.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
Sounds like you need to downgrade sir, Get an SS with RS package. Seriously an expensive mistake it is not, The cars suspension was built to be a daily driver and then take it to the track. If your only using the car for 50% of it's intended purpose you bought the wrong car otherwise you would have more respect for the work that was put into it. The Mag ride is worth every penny. The op either has a faulty part or more than likely still has those spring spacers in it.
YUP.

It has ALWAYS amazed me when people buy cars that are essentially performance cars and then complain about what makes them a performance car! I have always loved complaints like:

1. Rides too rough! (on a car that does 1.0+ on a skidpad)
2. Gets bad gas mileage! (On a 500+ HP engine)
3. Why do I have to use premium gas?!
4. It's too loud!
5. Tires cost too much!
6. Insurance cost more than my Honda!

I've heard these complaints for YEARS about all makes an models of performance cars.

To be fair to the OP, I do believe he might have an issue. Should probably get it checked out.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Hilarious. Go drive a 1le around and the zl1 will feel softer. I ride in mode 5 most of the time with no complaints. Dont smash through the potholes, try straddling them
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote