Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Just_Bill
Camaro newbie

Drives: Camaro
Question LED footwell purple lights=fail?

I installed purple LED light strips on my friend's black Camaro the other day as a Christmas present. It's all black with all black interior. I got the lights from AAC so I'm sure they are good.

You can hardly see the lights at all! I tapped into the dome light using the wire you can find on the passenger side kick panel like it was explained in another thread.

At full dark you can see a little bit of purple but not much. I also put the purple LED light in the dome light. That also does not seem to put out much light. It's very disappointing after all the threads I've read on here about how great they are.

Could it be because the black interior and purple lights do not make a good combo? Is there a dim switch that might have the lights dimmer than normal I am not aware of? I'm thinking of adding a second LED strip to each side under the dash, would that work? I'm just really disappointed.
Just_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Im not sure of the footwells but my AAC dome and trunk lights are bright. Take a few pics and show us.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Just_Bill
Camaro newbie

Yeah I guess I will take some pics and post them so everyone can see what I mean, thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Throw something light-colored into the floor and see the difference. I'm thinking the light is just not reflected by all the black, much like a blacklight.

Another thing worth noting is that all of these pictures you see with interior lighting are metered a LOT. Mine looks good but it is WAY dimmer in person than I anticipated based on everyone's pictures. They simply are not that bright, IMHO.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Just_Bill
Camaro newbie

Quote:
Another thing worth noting is that all of these pictures you see with interior lighting are metered a LOT. Mine looks good but it is WAY dimmer in person than I anticipated based on everyone's pictures. They simply are not that bright, IMHO.
Yeah I'm afraid that is most likely the case. I'm going to wire the switch to power from the fuse box and see if that makes any difference. That's what I wanted to do anyways, one from the fuse box and one from the dome light so she can switch them if she wants.

But chances are it's just because of the black on purple. I suppose an extra set of lights under the dash would help. In daylight you cannot see any light at all under there, even though her windows are tinted.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
All my lights came from SJMAutoprod. He's a vendor here. All my lights are purple and I too have the black leather interior. I have 1 LED on both sides of the console for the footwell lights. Its an accent light so its just bright enough to show off the footwells not blare light like a center stage. I also have purple dome light which is also a accent light. I wish it was a lil brighter so I could actually turn it on to find stuff, but it works for me. Along with all mentioned I have purple ambiant door lights, cupholder, Door pull, lights on back of console, and finally lights under back seats that shine in back footwell area. Again its all accent lighting not made to blare light like center stage at a rock concert. If you try to take pics its gonna turn out blue. Purple is very hard to take pics of or id post some up
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
Purple is going to hard to see in daylight anyway. I have blue and they are hard to see in bright daylight. I can see them but in day light i think most footwell lights won't show up good. At night though...
Attached Images

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Just_Bill
Camaro newbie

Thanks everyone. Well I'm going to install a second strip under the dash on both sides and see how that looks. I'm sure it will help at least a bit. Then put some under the back seat, I already have a wire going to it. I guess it looks okay, just not what I imagined.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Just_Bill
Camaro newbie

Well I found something out that was very interesting. I still had a set of lights from AAC. I decided I would put those with the other lights under the dash and get one more set for the back seats.

I went to my local autozone shop and saw the LED strips they had came with a test button to see the lights on. I could tell they were much brighter. I bought a set and put them under the back seats.

The "12 single strips under the back seats show up MUCH brighter than the two "15 strips that are under both sides of the dash! So there IS a big difference in who makes the lights. The "12 strips are even thinner and more narrow than the others. Cheaper to boot!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I have purple AAC foot wells - can't see at all during day, can see them fine at night. Make sure they are angled properly when connecting.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote