Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
BMTGIE

Drives: 2014 RRM SS/ 2011 Black LS
How bad is my paint match?

I recently got new front bumper and got it re painted.

Family/Friends can't tell in person but pics don't lie.

Last edited by BMTGIE; 05-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.
BMTGIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
It's not fair that there is shade on different parts of the car making them appear darker.

And my best guess is the front bumber but that may just be the light.

I would like to add that it does look good. No eyesores.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
BMTGIE

you're right probably not the best pic
Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Looks good to me. Front bumpers don't match from the factory on many colors.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMTGIE View Post

Family/Friends can't tell in person but pics don't lie.
I don't see any problem here.

Your car is dead sexy.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Front bumper to fender mismatch,.. but yes, the lighting is different.

***and tosses in rain to the light*** way too many variables.

Loooks close,.. match the lighting,.. then lets see.

edit to add,... plus the plastic to steel ratio...... make a side by side if you can match it,...
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
kream88

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1SS RS
Looks fine to me.
kream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
Maybe this bulletin from GM will help....

Service Information

2014 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual 5534965 | Document ID: 3541199
#09-08-51-004D: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance - (Jul 17, 2013)
Subject: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance Models: 2010-2014 Chevrolet Camaro This bulletin has been revised to add the 2014 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-51-004C.
On the Camaro, the shade of paint on the doors may appear to be different than the shade of paint on the quarter panels. This appearance varies in severity based on different viewing angles and light conditions. This perception is more apparent with certain colors. Use this bulletin to help the customer understand the design of their vehicle.
Paint Process
At the time of vehicle manufacture, the complete sheet metal body of the car is painted at the same time (the body, hood, decklid and doors). The panels (doors, hood and decklid) are attached to the vehicle and in the proper position when it goes through the plant paint process. All of the panels receive the undercoat layers and top coat finishes using the same material, application process and final bake process. This continuity of process ensures a uniform paint application to the entire vehicle. The result of this extensive process is a seamless paint match over the entire vehicle. The only major exterior panels that do not get painted during this process are the bumper fascias. The bumper fascias receive a flexible paint application using a unique process. All of the paint used in the paint process is matched to a paint color standard, ensuring that the colors are consistent from batch to batch. This color standard also ensures consistency from vehicle to vehicle.
Vehicle Design
On the Camaro, the door to quarter panel angle match is the design intent. The geometry of the quarter panel provides a sporty definition and highlights the depth of the design. It is intended to show the color variation created by angling the body panels a few degrees.
Addressing Customer Concerns
Use the following photographs and descriptions to demonstrate to the vehicle owner that what they are seeing on their vehicle is not a color mis-match, but an intended design feature.

This first photograph shows a paint test panel finished in “Wildfire” metallic. The white arrow points to the paint “standard.” This is the paint sample used to ensure color consistency.

This photograph shows the same paint test panel with a slight crease in the center, creating an angle in the panel similar to the Camaro door to quarter panel relationship. The finish on the right side of the panel has “shifted,” creating a different hue of the same color. Note the arrow shows the paint standard on the left side of the paint test panel in the same position as the first photograph.

This final photograph shows the same paint test panel described in the second photograph. In this photograph, the arrow points to the same paint ”standard” used in the first two photographs but it has been repositioned to the right side of the paint test panel. Note the paint “standard” has shifted along with the finish on the paint test panel.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

There are pictures but for some reason they won't copy/paste here.

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Looks like a normal mismatch from the factory. My '14 AGM ZL1 front and rear fascia don't match the rest of the car. Front is more noticeable due to lighting.
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
The facscia is made of "plastic" (whatever). It will never be a perfect match.
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
BMTGIE

That's a new bumper not the original, the original matched perfect. But I guess it's a good thing y'all don't notice it.

Last edited by BMTGIE; 05-14-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
BMTGIE

Another pic

Old 05-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Can I ask what the purpose of this thread is? I don't see what you're trying to accomplish.

If the paint doesn't match to your satisfaction then get it fixed. If it does, why do you care what anyone else thinks?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I can see that difference. The bumper doesn't "pop" like the fender does. Not as bright nor as shiny. Maybe better polishing might help, maybe not. I've been told there's no such thing as a bad match...only bad matchers.