Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 05-24-2016, 12:58 AM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
New interpretations after another excellent Test Drive

So I found a great dealership in Irvine, the salesman understood my want to wait for the 1Le, or ZL1. I took a black 2SS with MRC and Dual exhaust * manual for a excellent test drive with my wife in the car this time.

He really let me dig in on the highway and around turns going through every mode as long as I wanted ! I ended up hitting up to 120mph numerous times on the highway after he saw my skill with a manual he said he was actually just really enjoying the drive! This really allowed me to see the things I love about the 2SS and what seemed to be missing. Im getting closer to the purchase when the 1LE comes out but still may fall for the 2SS now as my wife and I don't love suede.

things I noticed .... Power is just exceptionally perfect like a true prize fighter , did feel the 1Le suspension and 6 piston brakes would make a improvement in turns and bite. Felt a bit of a weaker link in that aspect compared to the power within the car. I also wonder do the coolers come standard as what would be on the 1le? i have to say i think the 6 piston brakes would def make a huge difference? not sure how the suspension on the 1Le would add to handling ? I also kind of can't imagine that car with the 640HP ZL1 you definitely have to have respect and skill to take that to the limit .
Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Bonehead move doing 120 on roads....you gotta be about 22 .....
Old 05-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I'm really interested in reading all the comments on brake feel. The feedback is almost universal in saying that the brake feel could be better, but the objective numbers say that the car stops faster than an M4 with carbon ceramic brakes.

How did GM manage to make brakes that work really well, but feel like they don't lol?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
I'm really interested in reading all the comments on brake feel.

How did GM manage to make brakes that work really well, but feel like they don't lol?
I've had 4-5 cars now with Brembo's. My Camaro feels great, just like all the others.

One observation: I just got my Colorado back from having new front calipers installed (Warranty issue as they were in the range of potential bad parts). Upon getting it back the brakes felt better, harder, more responsive. I attribute this to a good bleeding job my dealer did on the installation as the Calipers are essentially the same. Perhaps The Factory bleed on some Camaros was less than complete as the complaints seem to vary..
Old 05-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
I ended up hitting up to 120mph numerous times on the highway after he saw my skill with a manual he said he was actually just really enjoying the drive!
What does your ability to shift a manual transmision have to do with going basically double the speed limit on public roads.

You sir are an idiot.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post

You sir are an idiot.

As was the sales guy for allowing/encouraging this......
Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
I also wonder do the coolers come standard as what would be on the 1le?
Coolers are the same on the 1LE as the SS. Track ready.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
I feel sorry for the trusting person that actually buys the car that you and the salesman trash.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to go 120 to test the car. You can find everything you need with some small 30-60 acceleration bursts, a few hard brake applications, and adding a little speed to some sweeping turns to feel the grip. Going 120 in a straight line tells you nothing about the dynamics of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
I'm really interested in reading all the comments on brake feel. The feedback is almost universal in saying that the brake feel could be better, but the objective numbers say that the car stops faster than an M4 with carbon ceramic brakes.

My opinion is brake pad compound isn't up to par. I feel like the compound isn't suited to the capability of the calipers. As far as the 6 pistons on the 1LE go, we won't know until late this year. However I can say the 6 piston upgrade cars also suffer a less than exceptional initial bite. I drove a 6 piston upgrade car and could still feel the lack of bite, but the stopping power was still there.

If you do some research on the track reviews some of the guys are starting to post now you will see the pads don't seem to handle the abuse as well as you would hope. Good news is that's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Well at least it's good to know where we can go rag one out, and which dealership to actually avoid buying from.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #11
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
Well at least it's good to know where we can go rag one out, and which dealership to actually avoid buying from.
Ding ding ding.

ITT: Things don't go the way OP thought they would... "I'm gonna go brag about ragging on a new car, huehuehue"

Bonehead.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to go 120 to test the car. You can find everything you need with some small 30-60 acceleration bursts, a few hard brake applications, and adding a little speed to some sweeping turns to feel the grip. Going 120 in a straight line tells you nothing about the dynamics of the car.

My opinion is brake pad compound isn't up to par. I feel like the compound isn't suited to the capability of the calipers. As far as the 6 pistons on the 1LE go, we won't know until late this year. However I can say the 6 piston upgrade cars also suffer a less than exceptional initial bite. I drove a 6 piston upgrade car and could still feel the lack of bite, but the stopping power was still there.

If you do some research on the track reviews some of the guys are starting to post now you will see the pads don't seem to handle the abuse as well as you would hope. Good news is that's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix.
I wonder how many of them have had their brakes burnished/broken in properly......that makes a difference.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Probably about 1%.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
What dealership was this at?

So forum members know not to buy this Camaro that has been thrashed well under the break in.

Closed Thread