Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #43
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
So I called my dealership last week to set up an appointment for my first oil change at 2k miles. I went and did 18 hard autocross runs this weekend, and felt it is appropriate to change the oil regardless of the maintenance minder. I informed the dealer that I would be tracking the car, and wanted to use one of my two free oil changes early. They said it was fine.

So I pulled the car into the service bay this morning (1 hour round trip in rush hour traffic), and the service tech informed me that they would not cover it and that GM would kick it back. I stated that this is not the correct policy and that he should research it further. He said "forums aren't correct, I've been here a long time and that has never been the policy. We have vettes in that have done track days, and we always charge them to change their oil early". I informed him that I had called the previous week to set up this appointment and was disappointed that they had not informed me of this. I explained that they should have told me this over the phone instead of wasting my time. He did not budge, so I told him I would take my car to a different dealership. I was very professional during the entire conversation, but was visibly frustrated. I am not an argumentative person, and did not wish to speak to the manager or anyone else there as I knew there are 2 other Chevy dealerships that are closer to me.

I called a closer dealership who informed me that I was indeed correct, I can have the 2 free oil changes any time I wanted. I am taking it there in an hour and a half and hope that I have no issues...

To be honest, I would have probably saved over an hour by changing it in my garage than by going through this hassle. I enjoy changing the oil on my cars, but considering 10qts of proper spec oil isn't inexpensive, I would like to get my money's worth out of it. I am a young professional (30 y/o), but was wearing flip flops, shorts, a tshirt. I'm not sure if that played into the tech's attitude. I would like to direct my complaints to someone higher up, but not sure if it is worth my time.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #44
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It certainly is not worth your time, and why it's really important to "interview" a dealer before going in..... When I took delivery, I walked back and interviewed the service manager and ask these questions. I was told anytime, and they would use mobile 1 no charge. ( nevertheless, I change my own )
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #45
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It certainly is not worth your time, and why it's really important to "interview" a dealer before going in..... When I took delivery, I walked back and interviewed the service manager and ask these questions. I was told anytime, and they would use mobile 1 no charge. ( nevertheless, I change my own )
Second dealer service manager was great. He understood completely, and said "they are your oil changes, we do them when you want." They are the closest dealer to me, so it looks like they have my business for now. I still have choices for 3 other dealers within 50 miles if this one doesn't work out.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #46
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I got mine changed yesterday at 810 miles. The service manager told me these engines are broken in at the factory. I told him I am old school and like to get the first oil change early. I told him that I owned my Mustang 22 months and put 7083 miles on it so my second free oil change will be in one year. The following year when it will be due I will be out of my 2 year window. He said "it's YOUR oil change but we aren't going to rotate tires this time" I said that was fine. No need to rotate tires at 810 miles.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #47
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I have typically always changed my oil at 1,000 miles. My owner's manual gave the break-in period to 1,500, so I'll change it then. I have 4 free changes, but I will gladly pay for the first one. I do it because it gives me peace of mind. I don't keep cars very long or run them up on the mileage. I just try to think that someone else may have this thing after me.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #48
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
just called my service and they told me, do what you want, you get 2 free ones. so if you want to use them the next month after, so be it. I'm changing mine around the 500-600 mile mark.
I didn't think you could really rotate staggered wheel set up? unless switch the two back.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:07 AM   #49
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Anyone actually sent in an early oil change sample to Blackstone or the like? Curious to see what they say about break in materials in the oil at 500 or 1500 miles. I'm still on the fence as to when I will do the first change on mine but plan on sending the first to Blackstone unless someone else has.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #50
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Anyone actually sent in an early oil change sample to Blackstone or the like? Curious to see what they say about break in materials in the oil at 500 or 1500 miles. I'm still on the fence as to when I will do the first change on mine but plan on sending the first to Blackstone unless someone else has.
One advantage of a 10 qt sump is that contaminants get more diluted and additives get used up more slowly than smaller sumps. Analyzing your oil at this short of an interval isn't going to tell you anything except that the oil is still good.

A good procedure is to go ahead and do a couple of early rinse changes (if that that makes you feel better), then run your oil out to the recommended change interval. This way, you will see how much life is left in the oil at that usage. Then you can make an informed decision of how low you want to run the additive package in your car. My experience after paying for many analyses is that manufacturer's OLMs are trustworthy.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #51
Dakamaro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS w/White Rallye
Just emailed asked a dealer about this.
Here's the reply,
"You do not need anything it is part of the new vehicle purchase from General Motors. It is monitored by the vin number of the vehicle, GM will pay for two oil changes when the oil life monitor is down to 20% life bring it to us or any GM dealer and the oil change service will be no charge."
Dakamaro is offline   Reply With Quote