#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-13-2023, 02:08 AM   #1471
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
When have major media outlets ever misled the public with a false narrative to drive an agenda? ...I'm sorry I even dared to question anything.
I love this logic. The media output you agree with is accurate, but the bit you dont agree with is false?
Like I said, I dont know what youre reading but the majority of what Ive seen is anti-EV, certainly when its personal opinion.

Quote:
And how much have rates increased in europe as they transition to expensive green sources of energy?
Rates have gone up in the last 18 months but mainly because theres an actual war happening in Europe at the moment.
Renewables are actually cheaper than fossil fuels: https://cleantechnica.com/2023/04/15...pions-on-cost/ and as I keep banging on about you can actually generate your own, free energy.

Rail against the purchase cost, complain about the charging network, even moan about the lack of engine noise but you cant attack them for using clean*, cheap energy.

*potentially clean anyway
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:29 AM   #1472
docwra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
This is an interesting thread. One group of people who want to be left alone to drive what they want and another group that wants to dictate the driving choices that other people have.
I dont think anyone is trying to dictate anything, as Ive said before on a personal level Im just trying to counter misinformation. I do have a 2014 Z28 as well if that makes you feel better?

And its not that clearcut either. If I lived in your neighborhood and wanted to burn tyres in my yard all day would that be OK with you?
What about if I ran my air raid siren for a few hours every morning?

The second "group of people" youre talking about want cleaner air and less environmental impact from the stuff we do, the same way you probably dont want to breathe burning tyres or be deafened by an air siren, unfortunately you cant always allow individual choice in a community.

Out of interest was there the same resistance and protests when you guys started smog testing?
Do you agree now it was a good thing, a step in the right direction?
Old 12-13-2023, 08:26 AM   #1473
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
I dont think anyone is trying to dictate anything, as Ive said before on a personal level Im just trying to counter misinformation. I do have a 2014 Z28 as well if that makes you feel better?

And its not that clearcut either. If I lived in your neighborhood and wanted to burn tyres in my yard all day would that be OK with you?
What about if I ran my air raid siren for a few hours every morning?

The second "group of people" youre talking about want cleaner air and less environmental impact from the stuff we do, the same way you probably dont want to breathe burning tyres or be deafened by an air siren, unfortunately you cant always allow individual choice in a community.

Out of interest was there the same resistance and protests when you guys started smog testing?
Do you agree now it was a good thing, a step in the right direction?
And let's use your rather poor analogy to illustrate why all of this so-called environmental concern (not you specifically; the environmental movement in general) is at best insincere or at worst fake.

On a global scale, the earth being the neighborhood, we have China, Russia, and India all burning tyres to their hearts content and nobody says anything about it. Well, they do say something... something like "Would you please someday maybe stop burning tyres? No need to stop now if you don't want to, of course, but maybe someday?"

To which China, Russia, and India reply, "Sure, whatever", and load even more onto the fire.

If the people in charge really thought that burning fossil fuels was putting the planet in peril and would lead to the doom of us all they wouldn't sit idly by and let it happen. So, since China, Russia, and India are free to do whatever they choose, one can only assume that it's not really about the environment.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:37 AM   #1474
docwra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
To which China, Russia, and India reply, "Sure, whatever", and load even more onto the fire.
The point is someone has stop burning tyres first, China arent going to cut down if they can see you burning just as many tyres as they do, similarly the average Indian cant afford to switch to solar or heat pumps until the costs come down a lot further.

The timing of this is pretty sweet for my argument:
https://www.reuters.com/business/env...me-2023-12-12/

Quote:
If the people in charge really thought that burning fossil fuels was putting the planet in peril and would lead to the doom of us all they wouldn't sit idly by and let it happen.
Now who is being naive? All the big parties really care about is winning the next election, hopefully as more people lobby for environmental change they will start actually taking notice. Watch the movie "Dont Look Up" for a far better explanation, its actually pretty entertaining too.

And even if the greens are wrong, is that really a bad thing? Cleaner air, cleaner lakes and rivers, less reliance on massive oil and mining cartels?
The ability to make your own power cant be bad, surely?

Fair play, I totally see your points and know a lot of people who agree with you ....... but can you answer me the smog test question our friend avoided?

Last edited by docwra; 12-13-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:57 AM   #1475
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I have to say...Martin has always had my respect on this forum, and the fact that he's been able to keep going and going and going on this particular topic in an attempt to raise awareness and spread reliable information all while keeping a calm head is admirable.

In the end, what it comes down to at this point in time is that EVs just don't work for everyone, and for certain segments of vehicle, they don't make much sense yet. Whether its cost (most EVs ARE way more expensive than their ICE counterparts...does GM know you can buy a similarly equipped ICE Equinox RS for over 10 grand less than the EV version?) or range anxiety, or home access to daily place to charge, or the way in which you use your vehicles (towing?), to concern over charging station availability/reliability, concern for the ways in which EVs are made,...and so on.

They just aren't there yet. The infrastructure just isn't there yet. All of the above reasons combined are why EV adoption is not taking off like the automakers and lawmakers were thinking. Sure, they are selling (Thanks to Tesla) There's a long way to go.

Where full EV does make sense right now, are for urban commuter vehicles, and the owners have a place to charge at home and they also have an ICE/hybrid vehicle, or they only take one or two long trips each year, and they are OK with that trip taking several more hours to get where they are going and they can afford a premium vehicle for that. That's it. For virtually everything else, hybrid or ICE is the more sensible choice. There is absolutely no way I would buy an EV and not have some sort of gas powered vehicle right now for long trips. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really into adding extra anxiety, complexity, and time into my trips. I guess one could just rent an ICE and keep the EV at home.

When battery charging becomes faster and more convenient, then we'll talk about whether or not EVs make sense for other types of transportation. We are at least a decade or two away from that.

For all you folks here arguing...it's just not worth it. We all want a cleaner planet. We also want sensible choices. Let's just agree on that. Let the technology evolve, and hopefully in the meantime we will continue to have choices of what we want to drive. gm (in my humble opinion) made a mistake by not giving the consumer more choice. Just imagine if they were able to accelerate their EV plans and had dropped more ICE vehicles by now...the only thing they'd be selling is trucks and SUVs (in America anyways. Word is they may introduce some hybrids they are developing for other markets into the American market...we shall see)

Last edited by KMPrenger; 12-13-2023 at 10:09 AM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:35 AM   #1476
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
KMPrenger, that is far too sensible for the internet. Reported.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:13 PM   #1477
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
KMPrenger, that is far too sensible for the internet. Reported.
Beat me to it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:22 PM   #1478
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
The point is someone has stop burning tyres first, China arent going to cut down if they can see you burning just as many tyres as they do, similarly the average Indian cant afford to switch to solar or heat pumps until the costs come down a lot further.

The timing of this is pretty sweet for my argument:
https://www.reuters.com/business/env...me-2023-12-12/
That agreement is a non-binding bunch of nonsense. If you read the article carefully it is a developing country's wet dream in that it is basically a vehicle for wealth redistribution.

Quote:
Now who is being naive? All the big parties really care about is winning the next election, hopefully as more people lobby for environmental change they will start actually taking notice. Watch the movie "Dont Look Up" for a far better explanation, its actually pretty entertaining too.
So we agree that this isn't really about the environment.

Quote:
And even if the greens are wrong, is that really a bad thing? Cleaner air, cleaner lakes and rivers, less reliance on massive oil and mining cartels?
The ability to make your own power cant be bad, surely?

Fair play, I totally see your points and know a lot of people who agree with you ....... but can you answer me the smog test question our friend avoided?
I have never lived anywhere that did smog testing so I'm unaware of how that was received. As for the overall picture, no doubt it was and is a very good thing. Look at pictures of Los Angeles in the 70's, its comical how dirty the air was... almost as bad as Beijing today .

But that result was not achieved by putting a critical major industry (oil and gas) out of business or coercing people to buy something they did not want.

And for the record - I like EV's. I even own one (but it is a PHEV because that makes more sense) and it's a fun car. A station wagon that's a legit 12.5 sec car, what's not to like
Old 12-13-2023, 01:32 PM   #1479
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
That agreement is a non-binding bunch of nonsense. If you read the article carefully it is a developing country's wet dream in that it is basically a vehicle for wealth redistribution.

So we agree that this isn't really about the environment.

I have never lived anywhere that did smog testing so I'm unaware of how that was received. As for the overall picture, no doubt it was and is a very good thing. Look at pictures of Los Angeles in the 70's, its comical how dirty the air was... almost as bad as Beijing today .

But that result was not achieved by putting a critical major industry (oil and gas) out of business or coercing people to buy something they did not want.

And for the record - I like EV's. I even own one (but it is a PHEV because that makes more sense) and it's a fun car. A station wagon that's a legit 12.5 sec car, what's not to like
Owners of pre-1977 Cadillacs and Lincolns would like a word with you. Those cars shrank by about a foot and a half almost overnight. I still can hear my grandfather’s rant in the back of my brain.

Porsche Panamera e-Hybrid or Audi Etron?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-13-2023, 01:42 PM   #1480
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Owners of pre-1977 Cadillacs and Lincolns would like a word with you. Those cars shrank by about a foot and a half almost overnight. I still can hear my grandfather’s rant in the back of my brain.

Porsche Panamera e-Hybrid or Audi Etron?
Volvo V60 Polestar.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:21 PM   #1481
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Volvo V60 Polestar.
Nice! How’d I forget about that one.

Old 12-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #1482
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

This guy does a very well balanced and well documented review of what trips in an EV look like with the current state of public charging. I’ll just post it here with no commentary, except to say if it wasn’t clear why Ford, GM, practically everybody else is signing onto the Tesla charging standard, it should be now.

https://youtu.be/92w5doU68D8

Old 12-15-2023, 04:55 PM   #1483
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’ll just post it here with no commentary, except to say if it wasn’t clear why Ford, GM, practically everybody else is signing onto the Tesla charging standard, it should be now.
You would think they would have learned that from the ICE fueling stations where the nozzles are a certain size for diesel and a certain size for unleaded, etc., because the fuel filler necks are sized the same across the board. Even your microwave uses the same type plug recepticle as your refrigerator and coffee maker.

Of course Elon kinda got there first with the major public charging stations, and I never could understand why everyone wanted to use their "own" style of plug-ins, instead of adopting a "standard" for public charging, whatever that may have been. I mean, I can understand the concept that you can control your equipment by making it fit your own cars for matched components, but c'mon...

I mean, even iPhone finally figured out that USB-C ports were really the best way to go to standardize across their equipment lines instead of using different ports for different Apple products. Derp!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:21 PM   #1484
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I mean, even iPhone finally figured out that USB-C ports were really the best way to go to standardize across their equipment lines instead of using different ports for different Apple products. Derp!
This was because the EU made it law that to be sold in Europe, all smartphones and electronic devices had to use USB-C. Apple didn't make the change because they wanted to or thought it was best.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote