Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #323
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your desire for a whole new Camaro that meets your design parameters. There’s only one area where you’re coming up short IMHO, and that’s on price. GM would never be able to do that car, with all the features that appeal to buyers in all age groups for the low $20s - but low $30s, absolutely. I think there’s a spot in the Chevy lineup for a fun, stylish car that meets the needs of people whose souls have been awakened by the hype surrounding the C8, as well as people who can’t afford a C8 but want or need a family performance car priced lower than the C8.

If you look at the marketplace now, there are only a few cars you can buy under $25K that offer fun, performance, attitude and more than two seats: Honda Civic Si, Hyundai Veloster Turbo (not N) and Ford Fiesta ST. None of those are anything like what you’re talking about for “Doc’s Camaro,” even though they offer a great driving experience; in fact, I own one of them as a daily driver now so my 1SS 1LE doesn’t get destroyed in the real world.
The Ford Mustang...what is the price range from the absolute very base entry Mustang to the GT500 & the total number of sales annually in this Family?? Ford has the GT that tickles Bugatti consumers price points & the ZR1 laughs for what it brings to the table. Honestly, the only thing I can think of is that the Vette flagship from her base trolls into the Camaro sales & GM doesn't address.

Why can't GM capitalize the Camaro with her very base entry to the ZL1 & ZLE and capture the same market currently as Ford does with the Mustang?? Is it simply due to the entry C8 vette being so close to the SS & ZL1 vs Ford having the Mustang family all in the same group?? Let's be honest, Ford has no Vette equivalent across the board & has GM spread too much butter over the bread to save the Camaro?? They NEED competition against a 4 seater Mustang & they already have a superior product, yet fail to even try to market the Camaro. Where are they taking us??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #324
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sell out at what volume? And what do you mean by a “hot 6”?

Right now you can get a great looking Camaro with a “hot 4” for mid 20s. What you are asking is for GM to give you more car for thousands less. Not going to happen. Arguably the current V6 is also “hot” and it’s pretty much $30k.

So it’s way too easy to say if GM would cut the price $10k they would “sell out”.

You’ve made a ton of good points over the years but to say if GM would just give us a great looking high Performance coupe for less than the price of a base Malibu isn’t feasible. A great idea, but GM isn’t about losing $
Volume would depend on projected demand and the price point. By a "hot 6" I mean use a 6 they already have, and soup it up a bit if necessary. I think 300 hp would be perfect for a base level entry Camaro. I'm not saying cut the price of what they already have; make a new pony car. A lot of the pieces can be pulled from the parts bin because it isn't going to be a track car, so that can help keep the costs down. Pull things from trucks and SUV parts bins if necessary. The demographic that would buy this could really care less what's under the sheet metal. They're going to buy primarily based on how it looks, both exterior and interior.

And take note that I'm NOT saying "give us a great looking HIGH PERFORMANCE COUPE for less than the price of a base Malibu..." No high performance; these are street customers who will use these as daily drivers, as second or third cars for their kids, etc. It just has to have good performance and not be a slug, which can basically be done with gearing more than an expensive motor and high performance tech.

Make it look great; make it look exciting, and that alone will bring in the customers. Give it good performance (not record-setting track performance) and bring it in under $25k. If as a parent I could buy two of these for my high school age kids, for the same price as one optioned SS...that's going to resonate with customers. Especially if the kids are begging them to buy it because it looks exciting. By not having the "high performance" goodies in it, that helps lower the cost of insurance too, which is an added plus for buyers.

Nobody thought that GM was going to be able to bring out the C8 at below $60k, but they did. And that car is pretty much a brand new build from scratch; a much more expensive-to-produce prospect than a reinvented mostly parts-bin pony car. The biggest factor would be looks, pure and simple. It has to look great, and that's something that's a designer issue. It can be done. They have the resources to do it; they just have to have the will to do it. Right now it doesn't appear they do unfortunately, which is SUCH a shame. A new, great looking affordable Camaro would sell so well.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #325
gaveup

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 M6
Once the c8s are on the lots, how does GM expect to sell the leftover c7s? Even now, it’s got to be hard to move any of these cars. Would they not have to offer some deep discounts on them? Given that, how much would they have to discount them to make it worth it to the buyer?

I just can’t see someone walking into a dealer to buy a c8 and leaving with a c7 or camaro.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #326
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
Once the c8s are on the lots, how does GM expect to sell the leftover c7s? Even now, it’s got to be hard to move any of these cars. Would they not have to offer some deep discounts on them? Given that, how much would they have to discount them to make it worth it to the buyer?

I just can’t see someone walking into a dealer to buy a c8 and leaving with a c7 or camaro.
I think discounts will happen, even more so than they are now. I wouldn't mind a 3LT Grand Sport for a good price.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #327
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

discounts and I think supply will dry up soon. Didn't they stop building the C7 like two months ago?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #328
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:

1. the c8 won't even go into production until december
2. there's going to be limited supply for 2020 compared to most years.
3. believe it or not this has happened before. See C3-C4
Old 08-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #329
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
discounts and I think supply will dry up soon. Didn't they stop building the C7 like two months ago?
No. There are still orders being built for the C7.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #330
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
I think discounts will happen, even more so than they are now. I wouldn't mind a 3LT Grand Sport for a good price.
You should check out Kerbeck in Atlantic City , they may have just what you’re looking for .
Not everyone is sold on the C8 , they will have no problem selling C7s .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #331
undy

Drives: 2020 2SS vert (ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
1. the c8 won't even go into production until december
2. there's going to be limited supply for 2020 compared to most years.
3. believe it or not this has happened before. See C3-C4
It's reported all over the web that GM's production this year will be between 38K and 40K C8s, which is compared to their highest selling C7's year. The dealer allocations are massive too.
undy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #332
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I think the new C8 will out sell the C7 by a large margin. Once it hits the lots people will love the super car look and performance for under $60,000. I’m afraid it will hurt Camaro sales in some ways. I’m thinking about going back to a Corvette myself.
You would
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #333
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
It's reported all over the web that GM's production this year will be between 38K and 40K C8s, which is compared to their highest selling C7's year. The dealer allocations are massive too.
in half a year? good for them if that's true.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #334
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post

this is amazing, it shows the C8 is really a game changer.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #335
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
No. There are still orders being built for the C7.
False.

The final C7 sold for $2.7 million at the Barrett-Jackson Northeast auction on June 28, 2019.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #336
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
False.

The final C7 sold for $2.7 million at the Barrett-Jackson Northeast auction on June 28, 2019.
The car at auction was an example of the last car to be built at a later date...they are still in production.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote