Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #43
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Where'd you see this? 2.0 is currently the larger of their 4 cylinder turbo options (here in the U.S.) The 2.3 is a new engine (at least for us) and is going into the new Lincoln MKC crossover first with 270HP and 300TQ. It is then expected to be used in the Mustang with a more aggressive tune. Probably in the realm of 290+ HP and 320+ TQ

I really don't see Ford using 2.0, 2.3, and a 2.5 litre 4 cylinder turbo engines...it seems a bit overkill but if you've got some proof I'd be curious to see it.

Mustang6g follows this stuff pretty dang closely, and I see no mention of a 2.5 there.

Anyways...if GM uses an N/A V6 versus a T4 from Ford, the V6 will always be at somewhat of a TQ disadvantage, but I'm expecting at least 330 or more HP (hopefully 340 or more like the Hyndai Genesis coupe) so the V6 shouldn't be at a HP disadvantage. It just won't be as quick off the line if this is the case.
Taken from the marketing survey given to those who have actually seen the car and broke nda

This might be a good measuring stick
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Taken from the marketing survey given to those who have actually seen the car and broke nda

This might be a good measuring stick
I saw that as well, but I believe those displacements listed were considered to be "faked" whereas the power listed may be fairly close to expected output.

We'll see soon enough!
Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #45
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I saw that as well, but I believe those displacements listed were considered to be "faked" whereas the power listed may be fairly close to expected output.

We'll see soon enough!
yes, all .1 to .2 larger or smaller.

Obviously the rumored 5.5L and 6.2L weren't listed when the survey was taken, but those cars have been spotted in the wild, along with a TT variant.

Also with Ford copyrighting GT350 and Mach 1, again who knows.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #46
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Interesting anecdotes: We have some younger buyers who have bought V6 Camaros - and their friends are teasing them about it..........

..............not because they didn't buy a V8 - but because their friends think a 4 cylinder is the way to go.....

The point in all of this: YOU and I may not want a 4 cylinder engine - but that doesn't mean there may not be a market for it.

You can believe that if Ford intends to offer a 4 cylinder engine - it's been researched in many more ways than just reading this site.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #47
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Interesting anecdotes: We have some younger buyers who have bought V6 Camaros - and their friends are teasing them about it..........

..............not because they didn't buy a V8 - but because their friends think a 4 cylinder is the way to go.....

The point in all of this: YOU and I may not want a 4 cylinder engine - but that doesn't mean there may not be a market for it.

You can believe that if Ford intends to offer a 4 cylinder engine - it's been researched in many more ways than just reading this site.
That definitely happens. But when you have a car as sexy as the 5th gen most people are willing to give up a little something to have that beautiful ride. I have a lot of respect for some of the turbo 4 imports....for their power. Not their looks.

A bit off topic but...

Case in point...my car is 4 years old now. Earlier this week as I went through a fast food drive thru the girl in the window was generally excited to see my car and told me how gorgeous she thought it was. Now how many other cars can do that after 4 years?? Not many at all except for the high end or exotics. Camaro is neither (to many people).

Nail the design first. (yes I know easier said than done)

We all know the cars are going to perform incredibly.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #48
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm ok with turbo 4s, or turbo 6s, or any sort of V8. Buy what you want.

I'm ok with having to pay to play. You want a V8, then you'll pay more. OK. I'm good with that.

We got 4 "sizes" of HP for our current Camaros (soon to be 5 when the Z/28 gets here). Not everyone wants or needs max hp. The neat thing is, all Camaros can substitute as a grocery getter and at the flick of the throttle, every one of them can put a smile on your face! Isn't that the point?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
good!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #50
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well my little 4 banger 170hp Sky got the same mpg as my big 323HP V6.... Small doesn't necessarily mean better mileage.
I owned a Turbo Redline Sky, which after the GM factory tune was pushing 290HP and 340tq. Add some high-flow cats and that 3000 lb. car was no joke.

A muscle car is was not, and can't come close to touching my new 1LE. However it would give a stock SS a run for it's money, especially in the corners a stock SS can not hang. Top end is another story, in straight-line a stock SS would overtake it, but the point is that it was a fun a$$ car to drive.

The problem with the Sky was that the design lacked all sense of practicality and didn't have back seat. You couldn't really use this car as a daily driver either as the quality was just not there and is where GM had to skimp just to get the car to production at the price they offered it.

Considering the 6th Gen will based on the Cadillac ATS platform, I could see offering a more sporty coupe style with a small back seat. A turbo 4-cylinder is not the end of the world... but the days of a Camaro being a "muscle car" would be over. I wouldn't call the new Mustang a "muscle car". It seems Ford has already thrown in the towel.
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #51
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
I owned a Turbo Redline Sky, which after the GM factory tune was pushing 290HP and 340tq. Add some high-flow cats and that 3000 lb. car was no joke.

A muscle car is was not, and can't come close to touching my new 1LE. However it would give a stock SS a run for it's money, especially in the corners a stock SS can not hang. Top end is another story, in straight-line a stock SS would overtake it, but the point is that it was a fun a$$ car to drive.

The problem with the Sky was that the design lacked all sense of practicality and didn't have back seat. You couldn't really use this car as a daily driver either as the quality was just not there and is where GM had to skimp just to get the car to production at the price they offered it.

Considering the 6th Gen will based on the Cadillac ATS platform, I could see offering a more sporty coupe style with a small back seat. A turbo 4-cylinder is not the end of the world... but the days of a Camaro being a "muscle car" would be over. I wouldn't call the new Mustang a "muscle car". It seems Ford has already thrown in the towel.
I'm not a ford fanboy, or a GM one, but throw in the towel is a bad phrase to use here.

The new Mustang will be lighter and faster than the current S197 5.0 powered vehicle. Just because it's base model is getting a turbo 4, does not mean it will not have V8 variety, or even FI V8. They won the last round of the pony car wars in performance, I have a feeling you'll see all three going lighter and more efficient.

I'm sorry but a 3200-3300lb Mustang with a 430hp V8 (rumored S550 specs) is nothing to sneeze at, considering the current S197 weighs around 3600-3700 and has 420hp, and outruns the SS in the 1/4 and 0-60. Let's not even talk about ZL1 to GT500 power to weights either. It's going to be tough to wrestle the 2+2 RWD performance car crown from Ford again in this generation, but let's hope GM steps up to the plate with a lighter, more powerful Camaro, as competition is a good thing.

It's adapting, not giving up. Chevy can't keep a bloated Camaro as well, hence they're dropping weight (Alpha) and going with more efficient drivetrains as well.

It's ok to be proud of your car, but don't let brand loyalty blind you. If anything, the HP wars are getting more exciting as cars are dropping weight and going up in power.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #52
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
I'm not a ford fanboy, or a GM one, but throw in the towel is a bad phrase to use here.

The new Mustang will be lighter and faster than the current S197 5.0 powered vehicle. Just because it's base model is getting a turbo 4, does not mean it will not have V8 variety, or even FI V8. They won the last round of the pony car wars in performance, I have a feeling you'll see all three going lighter and more efficient.

I'm sorry but a 3200-3300lb Mustang with a 430hp V8 (rumored S550 specs) is nothing to sneeze at, considering the current S197 weighs around 3600-3700 and has 420hp, and outruns the SS in the 1/4 and 0-60. Let's not even talk about ZL1 to GT500 power to weights either. It's going to be tough to wrestle the 2+2 RWD performance car crown from Ford again in this generation, but let's hope GM steps up to the plate with a lighter, more powerful Camaro, as competition is a good thing.

It's adapting, not giving up. Chevy can't keep a bloated Camaro as well, hence they're dropping weight (Alpha) and going with more efficient drivetrains as well.

It's ok to be proud of your car, but don't let brand loyalty blind you. If anything, the HP wars are getting more exciting as cars are dropping weight and going up in power.
I have to agree. The market is constantly shifting. Moreover, companies like GM and Ford have different goals. Ford is not the top grossing automaker and doesn't require the sales that GM does just to fund operations. GM's sales lead is almost misleading in that it only shows leadership in the pony car segment and not the massive expense of running the world's largest automaker. One might argue that if GM wasn't in the lead on such a halo-esque—albeit not halo due to the Corvette's standing—product it would reflect not only a poor product but a poor company. I wouldn't make these arguments personally, but I could see them being justified from a business standpoint.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #53
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:

The S550 will weigh 3400+ with the coyote. The 13's weigh 3600. 200 pounds is pretty big diff though. I just hope it looks good, cuz the 13's are awesome looking.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
The S550 will weigh 3400+ with the coyote. The 13's weigh 3600. 200 pounds is pretty big diff though. I just hope it looks good, cuz the 13's are awesome looking.
The mules are weighing in less. I own a 2012 Premium, its 3720lbs.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
The mules are weighing in less. I own a 2012 Premium, its 3720lbs.
That's cuz they are mules. Full production s550 coyote's will weigh 3400+
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #56
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
That's cuz they are mules. Full production s550 coyote's will weigh 3400+
Sorry, pre production mules, meaning equipped. The car went on a significant diet.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 4 cylinder camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro forum, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 4 cylinder, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation, new camaro