Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-03-2024, 02:41 PM   #1
all muSScle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Oil Cooler Gasket Leak

All,

My engine was completely rebuilt (full blueprint and balance) about a year and a half ago. In addition, I upgraded the entire valve-train along with the basic bolt ons (LTs, CAI, etc). This car was built as a toy and barely has over 1000 miles on it since the rebuild and 500 of those miles were break-in (less than 3K RPM). With that being said I noticed an oil leak last summer, which ended up being a failed oil cooler gasket (the dual o-ring one that wedges in between the cooler and the block just above the oil filter). I replaced the gasket and torqued everything to spec (89 lb-in for two bolts that secured the gasket and then 18 lb-ft for the 4 bolts that secure the entire piece to the block) and this fixed the issue for about 6 months until I noticed it starting to seep again. I obviously verified that the leak wasn’t coming from somewhere else (loose oil pan bolt, valve cover leak, freeze plug in cooler log directly above the cooler gasket) so I am confident that the leak is coming from the cooler gasket area. I went ahead and re-torqued the two bolts and did notice that one was slightly loose but it is still seeping a little. Mind you this is a tiny amount of seepage with nothing visible on the garage floor but I’m OCD about any leak and want this addressed. My question is, what have others done to address this issue? I don’t see how a cooler delete would fix it being that it utilizes the exact same gasket and I’m thinking this is may be a byproduct of the additional heat from the LT’s running along side it and potentially loosening up the bolts. One thought I had was to add lock washers underneath the heads of the two bolts holding the gasket in place to prevent them from backing out but wanted to see how others have handled it? Please advise and thanks in advance.
all muSScle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 05:35 PM   #2
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Blue locktite after your clean the threads with brake cleaner.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 06:07 PM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I deleted mine and installed a mishimoto oil cooler but the block off plate that I used is a lot better quality then those one's that use a gasket. This one uses an o-ring. It hasn't leaked on me yet. You will have to get a 1/8" plug for it though and only use Teflon tape, anything else will leak.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-ls0020erl

Name:  20240203_175317.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  80.0 KB
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:56 PM   #4
all muSScle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Thanks for the replies!
all muSScle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ls3, oil cooler, oil cooler leak