Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Cashezo

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS, 300C SRT8
Buying a '10 SS Again

Bought a 2LT RS in late '09, traded it in in '13 for a 3LT Z51 Stingray, and now I'm possibly buying a '10 2SS RS tomorrow. It has 30,000 miles and is a 6-speed. Seller agreed to $20,000. Is this a good deal, guys? Anything to look for? Do these motors still tick a little during cold starts?
Cashezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The tick on start up is an L99 issue. You're buying a manual, right? Not an L99 engine.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Nildnas

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Yeah you shouldn't have to worry about the "ticking" if it's the LS3. Unless of course there is an underlying problem. Price looks good if everything appears to be in good condition. Your best bet is to take it to a trusted mechanic and have them do a once over. May cost you a bit but worth the investment imop.

Good Luck! Keep us updated!

502-rwhp and 467 tq on 6lb of boost and conservative tune: By Vengeance Racing
Nildnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I've never had an engine that doesn't "tick" on start, but there are shades of grey.
Depends on temperature, how long the vehicle has sat, and age/condition of the motor.
Some tick is completely normal. There are literally dozens of reasons for a tick, but if it goes away after a couple of seconds, it's probably normal.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
prices are what they are depending on condition, I for one would want to go with a 13 up for the upgrades to the car. Ticking is dependent on some ones perspective I guess as I never have had ticking..and I know the sewing machine sound is more prevalent on l99 engines. Normal start ups are going to make a little more noise until the top end gets the lubrication flowing. And you can be the only one to decide if its worth it and you trust it has not been hammered on.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Hey guys, just a thought here. Often times when someone is asking about if a certain Camaro is worth it, good deal etc....we say "so long as it wasnt beat on". Isnt that sort of what we all do? - Or, are we saying that with proper maintenance the L99 or LS3 can take some beating. I mean, these are muscle cars meant to lay a strip, pull out sideways now and then.

I guess to summarize, when the term "beat on" is mentioned what are really meaning?

Thanks
B
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
my 2013 l99 with 10k miles rattles a bit when first start up after a week sitting..goes away within a second though
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Most people that buy an SS are gonna "beat on it"
Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 AM   #9
Cashezo

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS, 300C SRT8
So the car was parked in the backyard and a lot of crap was on it from it sitting for such a long time I'm guessing. Anyways, I start her up and notice all 4 tires are low. I remember on my old Camaro this would happen when the weather got a little cold. I drove it to a nearby gas station and put some air into them. It was no longer pulling to the right and it drove pretty smooth. This was my first time driving a manual car in a long time and what a joy it was. After some negotiating the seller agreed to $19,500 since it needed new rear tires.

I get home and run a carfax like report and what I found was hilarious. There is an active lien on the car and it was involved in a collision back in 2012. The report stated it was to the front left of the car and I remembered from my initial walk around that the letter C from the CAMARO decal was out of alignment. What's weird is that the amount is shown as $0. Another thing I thought about was why it was parked in the backyard. Could it be the seller is hiding it from getting repoed?

The seller is obviously puzzled and I've decided to continue my search. I am in Canada and the prices for '10 SS cars are still high. People are asking north of $26k and for that price, I can get a '13 or even a '14 in some cases in the US. Sucks that our dollar is at an all time low, though.

Cashezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:57 AM   #10
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I would've done a car fax before I bought the car, but that's a good deal no doubt.
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashezo View Post
So the car was parked in the backyard and a lot of crap was on it from it sitting for such a long time I'm guessing. Anyways, I start her up and notice all 4 tires are low. I remember on my old Camaro this would happen when the weather got a little cold. I drove it to a nearby gas station and put some air into them. It was no longer pulling to the right and it drove pretty smooth. This was my first time driving a manual car in a long time and what a joy it was. After some negotiating the seller agreed to $19,500 since it needed new rear tires.

I get home and run a carfax like report and what I found was hilarious. There is an active lien on the car and it was involved in a collision back in 2012. The report stated it was to the front left of the car and I remembered from my initial walk around that the letter C from the CAMARO decal was out of alignment. What's weird is that the amount is shown as $0. Another thing I thought about was why it was parked in the backyard. Could it be the seller is hiding it from getting repoed?

The seller is obviously puzzled and I've decided to continue my search. I am in Canada and the prices for '10 SS cars are still high. People are asking north of $26k and for that price, I can get a '13 or even a '14 in some cases in the US. Sucks that our dollar is at an all time low, though.

I'll sell you mine for the same price, 55k some miles and everything included with it. Absolutely no issues with it. Downside is you'd have to come to NC to get it and import it lol.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Always Carfax first!
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Did you actually buy it already? Assume if it had a lien he would not have the title
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
Hey guys, just a thought here. Often times when someone is asking about if a certain Camaro is worth it, good deal etc....we say "so long as it wasnt beat on". Isnt that sort of what we all do? - Or, are we saying that with proper maintenance the L99 or LS3 can take some beating. I mean, these are muscle cars meant to lay a strip, pull out sideways now and then.

I guess to summarize, when the term "beat on" is mentioned what are really meaning?

Thanks
B
I'ver never beat on my L99 SS. Never did a burnout or stupid donuts or anything
close. Don't see the point. 40,000 miles & 6 years later it's still near new. I've
also done 9 oil changes which has resulted in absolutely no engine tick.
Sorry, I just don't see the point of abusing machinery. And yes, I drive it all
year long as long as the roads are dry.