Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Got to do some Autocross today

I had a short novice class last month and went to the full track race day this month.
We had a pretty good turn out and only got to do 5 runs each. I managed to stay on the track 2 of them (runs 2 and 4). Just not looking far enough ahead for the next set of cones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO_181QiiDw&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc4FKqBzl0o

Lots of learning to be had and need more track time! (And money for tires!)

*Edit* not sure what the gig is with 1st gear farting out and bogging down. Haven't had that happen before.

Last edited by slvrsrpnt; 02-05-2018 at 09:13 PM. Reason: shortened videos to remove dead air time
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
RKeeton

Drives: 2013 BMW M3
That looks like Buckingham Field! You had to run through some tight slaloms. Looking ahead is the only way to not DNF on that course. Seat time is the key. I ran a Pro Solo in 2002 there and it was pretty tight even then since the site isn't very wide. It would help if they used flour to mark the course but that might not be an option for the club.
Attached Images

RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
TEX1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE - Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
I had a short novice class last month and went to the full track race day this month.
We had a pretty good turn out and only got to do 5 runs each. I managed to stay on the track 2 of them (runs 2 and 4). Just not looking far enough ahead for the next set of cones.
https://youtu.be/rH7PT_BvWv0

https://youtu.be/tsQUVxHYblc

Lots of learning to be had and need more track time! (And money for tires!)

*Edit* not sure what the gig is with 1st gear farting out and bogging down. Haven't had that happen before.
It looks like your RPMs are a little low when you're launching but I'm pretty confident the primary cause is you're in sport mode. You can see when you launch the traction light flashes so I'm sure your car is pulling power to regain traction. I'd try track mode and see how it works.

To each their own but I feel driving with the nannies off is the best way to learn your car. You might not be as fast as you'd like while learning but it'll pay dividends later on. With the nannies on you never learn from your mistakes because the computer is correcting the car before you even knew what you did wrong in most cases.

Last edited by TEX1LE; 02-05-2018 at 04:18 PM.
TEX1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeton View Post
That looks like Buckingham Field! You had to run through some tight slaloms. Looking ahead is the only way to not DNF on that course. Seat time is the key. I ran a Pro Solo in 2002 there and it was pretty tight even then since the site isn't very wide. It would help if they used flour to mark the course but that might not be an option for the club.
Buckingham Airstrip is correct. Seat time will make for a better me, still had a blast even running horrible times (when I stayed on course!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX1LE View Post
It looks like your RPMs are a little low when you're launching but I'm pretty confident the primary cause is you're in sport mode. You can see when you launch the traction light flashes so I'm sure your car is pulling power to regain traction. I'd try track mode and see how it works.

To each their own but I feel driving with the nannies off is the best way to learn your car. You might not be as fast as you'd like while learning but it'll pay dividends later on. With the nannies on you never learn from your mistakes because the computer is correcting the car before you even knew what you did wrong in most cases.
2nd video I had it in Track / Track and still had a bit of a bog. RPMs could have been too low, will have to try again next month. I'm still learning the car and new to things more than minor jack assery on the roads.
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
Buckingham Airstrip is correct. Seat time will make for a better me, still had a blast even running horrible times (when I stayed on course!)

2nd video I had it in Track / Track and still had a bit of a bog. RPMs could have been too low, will have to try again next month. I'm still learning the car and new to things more than minor jack assery on the roads.
Looks like you didn't have PTM active in the second video, actually it doesn't even say track mode so something may have been off there. I can't recommend enough you run it in either Track/PTM: Race or all off! Last year with my 1LE was my first time ever doing autocross, I did the first few events in PTM: Sport 1/2, switched it to Race to experiment and the difference is pretty substantial. The best way to learn is all off, if you don't feel comfortable with that got PTM: Race, it's still there enough to keep you out of trouble and you can push the car very hard to learn it's (and your) limits.