Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Question Issues with Roto-Fab CAI - High Pitched Whistling

Hey all. I've had a Roto-Fab CAI installed on my '18 ZL1 for about a week now. I've been noticing a very high pitched whistling noise coming from the engine bay. The sound is very noticeable with the windows up, but with the windows down it's almost unbearable at times.

From what I understand.. a slight whistle is normal for many after market cold air intakes, but this seems a little excessive.

It's worth noting that there were problems seating the metal housing into the engine bay and it seems to have left a slightly bigger gap between my hood and driver's front quarter panel as compared to the passenger's side. I'm unsure whether an incorrect seating of the CAI would be the cause or if the whistling is normal?

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Are you talking about the noise you hear under part load — say half throttle? Most open filter intakes sound like this, but I don’t hear anything from mine at light throttle or a steady cruise. Under some load, yes.

And for what it’s worth, I had issues at first getting the heat shield seated. One of the mounts is adjustable, and tweaking it made all the difference. Getting all the silicone hoses aligned can be a little tough too. You sure you don’t have any air leaks from the couplers?
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrist5683 View Post
Hey all. I've had a Roto-Fab CAI installed on my '18 ZL1 for about a week now. I've been noticing a very high pitched whistling noise coming from the engine bay. The sound is very noticeable with the windows up, but with the windows down it's almost unbearable at times.

From what I understand.. a slight whistle is normal for many after market cold air intakes, but this seems a little excessive.

It's worth noting that there were problems seating the metal housing into the engine bay and it seems to have left a slightly bigger gap between my hood and driver's front quarter panel as compared to the passenger's side. I'm unsure whether an incorrect seating of the CAI would be the cause or if the whistling is normal?
The first thing to address is the fit as this may fix both issues. While our 2017 ZL1 system fits properly on many 2018 cars, we are seeing an issue on some. We've found some cars have a mig weld in the lower area of the strut tower where only a spot weld was previously used. Our air box assembly butts to this area on the back side. In at least two cases we are aware of, the thickness of the mig weld can be enough cause interference with the air box. We are in the process of making a slight change in our air box design to accommodate either scenario. Meanwhile, we have been making a modification to systems we know are being used on 2018 models. We shorten the seal material on the lower rear seal to 8.5". This leaves about 3.5" without the seal so it doesn't interfere with the weld. Also, we move the two rear mounting studs slightly rearward which effectively moves the air box forward about .125". The mounting grommets have the flexibility to absorb this change without affecting the front mount.

For the last few months, we've made this modification to all orders known to be for the 2018 ZL1. Meanwhile, we have been receiving feedback from some of our dealers concerning fitment on the 2018 cars. So far none of them have reported back with this problem using the 2017 version on 2018 cars.

Harrist5683, I will PM you with contact information so we can work to resolve these issues over the weekend.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I have a Roto-Fab dry intake sitting in my garage waiting for my 2018 ZL1. It's going to fit improperly you're telling me now?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Mine is a '17 and makes a more noticeable whistling noise than say my gen 2 CTS-V with an Airaid intake. Not really happy with how audible it is, but really don't want to spend more money trying other vendors.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
harrist5683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
The first thing to address is the fit as this may fix both issues. While our 2017 ZL1 system fits properly on many 2018 cars, we are seeing an issue on some. We've found some cars have a mig weld in the lower area of the strut tower where only a spot weld was previously used. Our air box assembly butts to this area on the back side. In at least two cases we are aware of, the thickness of the mig weld can be enough cause interference with the air box. We are in the process of making a slight change in our air box design to accommodate either scenario. Meanwhile, we have been making a modification to systems we know are being used on 2018 models. We shorten the seal material on the lower rear seal to 8.5". This leaves about 3.5" without the seal so it doesn't interfere with the weld. Also, we move the two rear mounting studs slightly rearward which effectively moves the air box forward about .125". The mounting grommets have the flexibility to absorb this change without affecting the front mount.

For the last few months, we've made this modification to all orders known to be for the 2018 ZL1. Meanwhile, we have been receiving feedback from some of our dealers concerning fitment on the 2018 cars. So far none of them have reported back with this problem using the 2017 version on 2018 cars.

Harrist5683, I will PM you with contact information so we can work to resolve these issues over the weekend.
Thanks for the reply, I'll wait for your PM.

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
Old 03-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
My 2017 did it. I took it off and sold it.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
I didn’t specify my car was a 2018, so I’m guessing that’s why I had minor fitment issues. Adjusting the rear mount/s (can’t remember if it was one or both) was all I needed.

I don’t think I’d consider what I hear a “whistle” though. More like a honk kind of noise under lighter (no boost) acceleration, which turns into awesome blower whine when into boost.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

So you can adjust it so the whistle isn't there or should I return mine now?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I have a Roto-Fab dry intake sitting in my garage waiting for my 2018 ZL1. It's going to fit improperly you're telling me now?
As long as u specified 2018 when you ordered, should not have issue.
FYI: I ordered my also with the dry filter for my 2018 M6. Rotofab sent me the correct modified unit and it went in super easy. Just remember to flip over your old housing to be sure the grommets did not lift off from the car. If they did just remove And place back on the car.
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
As long as u specified 2018 when you ordered, should not have issue.
FYI: I ordered my also with the dry filter for my 2018 M6. Rotofab sent me the correct modified unit and it went in super easy. Just remember to flip over your old housing to be sure the grommets did not lift off from the car. If they did just remove And place back on the car.
I bought it from Summit Racing. There's no way they know what car I have.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
harrist5683

Update: I spoke with Roto-Fab customer service on the phone and they told me that they are in the process of developing a new air box that will fit any model year Gen6 ZL1. Once the development is complete, they will be sending me one of the new air boxes (few weeks from now).

It's worth mentioning that I had the option to be sent the solution that roto-fab mentions above, but I preferred to just receive the newest air box version instead.

Mod List:
Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #13
Gritesh

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black
I just put this on my 19 zl1 and the whistle is quite loud under moderate acceleration I checked all my clamps and everything and I don’t see what could be causing this
Gritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
You know this is an old thread.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote