Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
New entry model needed?

With the new pricing, a base 1LT with V6 and auto trans (no extras of any kind) will be $31k+ including sales tax. That means the Camaro has now been pretty much priced out of the range of entry-level buyers.

This is not a diss on the Camaro; it is what it is and it offers tremendous value for the price, but I'm thinking GM needs to go back to its roots and come out with a new model performance car. A "younger brother" to the Camaro that starts at around $18,950 with a 4 cyl engine and maxed out with a V6 would be about $23k + tax. It should be sporty but not a track car like the Camaro is.

Its target market would be those who like to look like high performance; they wear the t-shirts, jackets and caps, but are not and will never be high performance drivers. They just want the styling and looks. This is also the perfect entry-level buyer who later on may want to upgrade which brings them into the Camaro realm. But for a lot of customers they just want to look sporty and would use this car to have fun around town, daily driver, take trips, etc. This would be a perfect first new car for high school students or a second/third car for families.

The foreign car companies already hit this target market, but with the Camaro now priced out of reach of this market I think it would be good for GM to use their formidable prowess to develop a competing car that could be a good way for new buyers to enter into becoming Chevrolet performance customers.

I'm thinking they could revive the Corvair name or come up with an alternate that sounds sporty. Take a transverse front wheel drive 4 or 6 and move that to the rear wheels. Give it great styling and aerodynamics in the front. A 4 seater without a lot of bells and whistles; a reasonably basic sporty car with plenty of room for customization later on by the customer if they choose to do so. Make it fun, make it affordable, make it sporty and stylish like a younger brother of the Camaro.

What do you guys think? Yes? No? Maybe?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 08-23-2015 at 01:53 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Yea i see what you are saying but i think cruze kinda holds that position down, but who the hell would want a cruze
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think YES, but GM thinks NO.

To some extent that was the idea behind the Code 130R concept-- a fun RWD coupe slotted below the Camaro. The scuttlebutt is that GM decided that they couldn't make a business case for such a car. The idea is dead.

As crazy as it seems, the $27K 4-cylinder Camaro will be the entry-level sporty car. GM doesn't seem to really care about offering an affordable sporty car. In this sense, though, they're hardly unique in the auto industry. With all of the safety requirements and expenses that go into modern cars, pretty much the entire industry has abandoned the 'youth' market. It's all about profits NOW, rather than cultivating a customer base for the future. The non-rich youngsters will have to make do with used cars.

Last edited by MikeT; 08-23-2015 at 02:08 AM.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I think YES, but GM thinks NO.

To some extent that was the idea behind the Code 130R concept-- a fun RWD coupe slotted below the Camaro. The scuttlebutt is that GM decided that they couldn't make a business case for such a car. The idea is dead.
Look at the FR-S and BRZ, they have been struggling for sales after the first year. Think that was a wise choice to drop it. They need to drop the LTG in a Cruze with some improved styling and interior.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
With the new pricing, a base 1LT with V6 and auto trans (no extras of any kind) will be $31k+ including sales tax. That means the Camaro has now been pretty much priced out of the range of entry-level buyers.

This is not a diss on the Camaro; it is what it is and it offers tremendous value for the price, but I'm thinking GM needs to go back to its roots and come out with a new model performance car. A "younger brother" to the Camaro that starts at around $18,950 with a 4 cyl engine and maxed out with a V6 would be about $23k + tax. It should be sporty but not a track car like the Camaro is.

Its target market would be those who like to look like high performance; they wear the t-shirts, jackets and caps, but are not and will never be high performance drivers. They just want the styling and looks. This is also the perfect entry-level buyer who later on may want to upgrade which brings them into the Camaro realm. But for a lot of customers they just want to look sporty and would use this car to have fun around town, daily driver, take trips, etc. This would be a perfect first new car for high school students or a second/third car for families.

The foreign car companies already hit this target market, but with the Camaro now priced out of reach of this market I think it would be good for GM to use their formidable prowess to develop a competing car that could be a good way for new buyers to enter into becoming Chevrolet peformance customers.

I'm thinking they could revive the Corvair name or come up with an alternate that sounds sporty. Take a transverse front wheel drive 4 or 6 and move that to the rear wheels. Give it great styling and aerodynamics in the front. A 4 seater without a lot of bells and whistles; a reasonably basic sporty car with plenty of room for customization later on by the customer if they choose to do so. Make it fun, make it affordable, make it sporty and stylish like a younger brother of the Camaro.

YES!

in my opinion,I believe that they shouldn't put the 4 cyl in the camaro at all.its a heavy lady so keep up with the V6 and V8 and use the 4 cyl for a new sporty coupe that can keep up with the toyota 86(known as FRS in your country)and 2.0 genesis coupe.but for some reason they don't want to take the risk and I can't blame them,its a very competitive market out there with a lot of "made to perform and cheap cars" like those I mentioned.they don't want the z28 nightmare happen again if you know what im saying.....
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
I dont disagree with you Doc at all. I think all the super high content 5th gens are what squashed a true base model this time around. I rarely see a LS car or a LT without the RS package and certainly never saw them on dealer lots. They were always loaded RS cars whether it be a SS or LT.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
I dont disagree with you Doc at all. I think all the super high content 5th gens are what squashed a true base model this time around. I rarely see a LS car or a LT without the RS package and certainly never saw them on dealer lots. They were always loaded RS cars whether it be a SS or LT.
Yeah I think after Chevy saw how much enthusiasts spend modding their cars, they figured they might as well load them up to start with. Which is a position I can't disagree with from a marketing standpoint, but unfortunately that approach has pushed the price over the "affordable" perception line. And even though the value for the money is there, in the marketplace perception is reality.

My thought is the Camaro team needs to design a "little brother" that looks like it's part of the Camaro family. It doesn't need a lot of uber tech; just enough to feel sportier than a regular sedan. Keep the costs down so it's under $20k. The Camaro design team has gotten so good I think they can pull this off and it would be successful. They can use off-the-shelf parts for everything except the body. Make it look great and fun with a clean interior.

I was going to get a 2016 2LT V6 as a replacement for my Toyota daily driver but the one I want would be $40k with tax, so that's not going to happen now. I'll just keep my Toyota. If they had that "little brother"... THAT I would buy.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #8
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
This whole pricing thing is so annoying... 30 grand for a car no a days is nothing. Even 40k for a car isn't that much, everytime I go into a dealer all the cars are 20k-60k.

Chevy Colardo: 29k-40k
Chevy Impala 30-40k
Chevy Traverse 30k-50k
Chevy Silvarado 30-60k

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:14 AM   #9
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
This whole pricing thing is so annoying... 30 grand for a car no a days is nothing. Even 40k for a car isn't that much, everytime I go into a dealer all the cars are 20k-60k.

Chevy Colardo: 29k-40k
Chevy Impala 30-40k
Chevy Traverse 30k-50k
Chevy Silvarado 30-60k
Well if $30k is nothing to you, feel free to send it my way and I'll make up the $10k difference for the one I want and sing your praises to the end of my days.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #10
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Yeah it looks like the low end pricing is gone. Wow I'd never thought that base camaro would start low 30,000s .ive got a non rs v6 dd and I do see a lot of 2ls..
Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 AM   #11
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
A sporty turbo 4 or v6, rear wheel drive. Call it Nova. Throw in a LT1 SS Nova.
Basically a Cruze rwd.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Time for Cruze SS?
(Like cobalt SS)

I personally want to see Solstice / Sky return.
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM ditched the Camaro LS for the 6th gen, presumably due to lack of profit/sales. I can't see them making an all new car to fill that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Yeah it looks like the low end pricing is gone. Wow I'd never thought that base camaro would start low 30,000s .ive got a non rs v6 dd and I do see a lot of 2ls..
It doesn't. Base Camaro starts at $27,695.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
DREWZ SS

Drives: 14 Camaro - 92 Corolla
Quote:

The foreign car companies already hit this target market, but with the Camaro now priced out of reach of this market I think it would be good for GM to use their formidable prowess to develop a competing car that could be a good way for new buyers to enter into becoming Chevrolet performance customers.

GM is in it for the money and a "younger brother" is not money
DREWZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote