Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: mandatory high performance driving course for sports car owners ,& drivers
No anyone can drive any car without training 114 69.94%
Yes All drivers should have to take a high performance driving class to drive 18 11.04%
yes but only the owners at time of purchase 6 3.68%
It should just be offered,but the cost is still figured into the cost of the car. 25 15.34%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #43
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Probably the wrong forum to poll if you're looking for a legitimate answer...
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #44
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
I voted For the option of taking the course, which by the way Ford offered to all Boss buyers in 2012 and 13. However, I think ALL driver testing and training should be much stricter than it currently is. Way too many people out there have zero knowledge of any the basic physics involved when operating a car.

You would be shocked at how many "drivers" I have trained over the last 5 years that have no clue as to any reallly basic accident avoidance whatsoever. Hand management, foot placement, seating position, skid recovery/prevention, you name it. It makes me cringe when I think of these people on a highway.

What is even worse is when the loose nut behind the wheel who can barely get the car through a serpentine exercise tells me about his Corvette or other performance machine. And even worse, is when he blames the car for his inadequate skills and lack of competency. Sadly most performance car buyers fall into the later category, Mustang, Camaro or whatever buyer. Until you actually take a REAL driving course at a REAL driving school, you won't realize how much you don't know about driving.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #45
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
I voted For the option of taking the course, which by the way Ford offered to all Boss buyers in 2012 and 13. However, I think ALL driver testing and training should be much stricter than it currently is. Way too many people out there have zero knowledge of any the basic physics involved when operating a car.

You would be shocked at how many "drivers" I have trained over the last 5 years that have no clue as to any reallly basic accident avoidance whatsoever. Hand management, foot placement, seating position, skid recovery/prevention, you name it. It makes me cringe when I think of these people on a highway.

What is even worse is when the loose nut behind the wheel who can barely get the car through a serpentine exercise tells me about his Corvette or other performance machine. And even worse, is when he blames the car for his inadequate skills and lack of competency. Sadly most performance car buyers fall into the later category, Mustang, Camaro or whatever buyer. Until you actually take a REAL driving course at a REAL driving school, you won't realize how much you don't know about driving.
Thank you, I drove from the AGE of 8 in go carts,and still went to the barber school of racing, after racing competitively for 10yrs to improve my skill level. yrs before that,i also raced a firebird out of herb adams shop back in the 80's when he was still located in Monterrey, CA before the track changed its name to MAZDA raceway...

The sad thing is that they are looking at it as control when its really only about saving lives,and improving the over all driving experience...
I would think if you spoke to most driving school instructors(not drivers ED) that they would think it would be a good idea to train people to drive high powered cars before cutting them loose in them.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #46
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
LOL, and all Mustang drivers need to take remedial mechanic's training.
Why, if not for the mustang there would of never been a Camaro !!!!!!!!!!!! or any pony wars....
Old 04-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #47
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Legally, I can go buy a gun without having to take a course. I can buy a cross-bow without taking a course. I can do electrical work in my house without taking a course. I can buy a nail gun and air compressor without taking a course. I can buy a welding torch kit without taking a course. Etc....

Abused, EVERY ONE of the things I mentioned can kill you and/or others. A car is the same. Don't need any course for that. And who would pick and choose which cars or products you buy required a course? A death panel?

Emotional reactions don't always mean the best course of action for the masses. You want a law? Then get out and petition for it and see what the general population says. If it's a great idea, then everyone should jump on board with it. If you take responsibility for your actions/decisions, then you don't need laws to tell you that driving like an idiot at high speeds is dangerous.

Courses are out there. Go get it. It's optional. If you want to be a better high performance driver then do it. But don't take away people's choices.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #48
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Freedom.Freedom,Freedom.

If you are stupid enough to buy a 500hp car without having any experience handling it natural selection should take over.

There are too many laws already thats all I have to say.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #49
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
BTW any smuck can go buy a large sport street bike and more people get killed on them than high end high power cars
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #50
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Legally, I can go buy a gun without having to take a course. I can buy a cross-bow without taking a course. I can do electrical work in my house without taking a course. I can buy a nail gun and air compressor without taking a course. I can buy a welding torch kit without taking a course. Etc....

Abused, EVERY ONE of the things I mentioned can kill you and/or others. A car is the same. Don't need any course for that. And who would pick and choose which cars or products you buy required a course? A death panel?

Emotional reactions don't always mean the best course of action for the masses. You want a law? Then get out and petition for it and see what the general population says. If it's a great idea, then everyone should jump on board with it. If you take responsibility for your actions/decisions, then you don't need laws to tell you that driving like an idiot at high speeds is dangerous.

Courses are out there. Go get it. It's optional. If you want to be a better high performance driver then do it. But don't take away people's choices.
Well said...
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #51
RaySouth

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT
You can't legislate stupidity especially when the legislators themselves are stupid. We don't need even 1 more law in the US, until they start enforcing the ones on the books. You can't mow down 4 people and get off with probation for starters. I don't need the government telling me what to do, ever!!! It is called personal responsibility.
RaySouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #52
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
more laws, yes just what we need... my kid is going to have a very nice car when she turns 16, it is personal responsibility to make her respect it..

sorry, people like the o.p make my skin crawl.

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #53
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
The do have a class it is called life.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #54
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeantSarcasm View Post
I'm 19 and drive a ZL1 everyday. I worked hard all through high school and got a full paid scholarship to LSU and I'm currently working on a degree in biochemistry in preparation for med school...rather than having to spend my college tuition on school, my parents spent their saved up money on a car as a gift. Personally, I think the whole topic is kind of unnecessary. If I had a civic and wanted to race it and drive carelessly I would. I have 600+ horsepower at my disposal just like most of the ZL1 owners on the forum. I have no violations on my record and plan on keeping it that way. I drive around with ZL1 emblems on my car proudly...that way I don't have to show off for people to know my car is faster than theirs. I rather have it and not use it than not have it at all...just trying to give you guys another perspective.

Sarge
so why have it at all?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #55
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 View Post
Sorry bro but you make some stupid a** threads...
Right! I thought this crap would be over by now, one day there was 7 he started on the 1st page!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #56
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Raise your kids or the cops will.......
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote