Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
DirectTo

Drives: Sold!
87 Ranger

Yeah.

You read that right.

Wife and I are both pilots and this old POS is our airport beater truck that we don’t have to care about. That being said, it needs to run. 87 2.9 V6, 5 speed.

About two weeks ago it started idling rough occasionally - it’ll idle fine for several minutes then suddenly it feels as if a cylinder is missing and it gets rough, sometimes it’ll just idle roughly, sometimes it’ll die. Pressing the accelerator will run the RPM up, but you can still feel it missing. After a bit it’ll smooth out and feel fine for a while, then repeat. Seems to be no rhyme or reason.

It has idled high as long as I can remember (1200 or so when it’s not struggling). I put new plugs and wires in it a while back. Cleaned the idle air valve, been trying to find a vacuum leak without success.

Any suggestions? I’m at my wit’s end and about ready to just set it ablaze in the street and do the world a favor by having one less Ford.
DirectTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
gen6waiter

Drives: Toyota Taco. 2010 SS-Sold :(
was gonna say vacuum leak.
how about MAF sensor?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
Try using a propane torch to locate vaccum leaks.Cut it on , but don't light it and run it around all of the areas you may have a leak.If it's leaking you will hear the engine change sounds.
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote