Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #29
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
I'm taking it to the dealer next week to check out the alignment etc.
Maybe something in the suspension was damaged when you hit the bag that damaged your front end?

My ZL1 rides a lot smoother than my Corvette!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #30
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickskier View Post
Maybe something in the suspension was damaged when you hit the bag that damaged your front end?

My ZL1 rides a lot smoother than my Corvette!
It was still going on before that. On a flat surface the car rides smooth but when it comes across a bump in the road it doesn't seem normal. Other than that the car handles excellent.
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #31
ZL1-PA

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I had a 2010 SS before trading in for the ZL1.
In my opinion, the ZL1 rides like a limo compared to how my 2010 SS did.
It quietly absorbs the bumps in the standard touring mode, plus of course it handles amazingly. The extra weight may be part of it as well.
The only complaint I have is the ZL1 is making my 420 HP 300ZX TwinTurbo and 350 HP STi feel slow (and they both ride rougher).
ZL1-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #32
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I agree, I think the magnet ride control, is way too stiff and sensitive. On a smooth road its great, but hit a bug in the road and you feel like you hit a speed bump. I would much rather have shock absorbers then what they use in this car. imo its expensive mistake with too much hype.
I would make sure that your spacers were removed or that nothing else is wrong with your suspension. When I am in tour mode I would consider the car anything but rough. It even surprises my passengers until I put it into Sport or Race mode, and then it feels like what they expected. The mag ride has been around in Cadillacs and Corvettes for many years so they have had a lot of time to refine the technology.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #33
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
Quote:
It was still going on before that. On a flat surface the car rides smooth but when it comes across a bump in the road it doesn't seem normal. Other than that the car handles excellent.

So what was the outcome? My car has done the exact same thing from the very beginning. And all Im running is a 2010 V6, RS package. I took it to GM and they said nothing was wrong. Every so often on the road or highway a smal bump will protrude, and when my car goes over it BANG! the bottom of the car is hit, I have to slow down extremely to avoid contact.

GM said everything was at its normal settings. And the springs were fine, TP fine, and the car was at normal height so wtf.
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #34
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I have never thought of "rough" as a word to describe the ride. ZL1 ride is very good.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #35
2Z's4me

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Being a previous SS owner, the ride is different than the SS on a ZL1. It handles better in every way but the bumps are killing the smoothness. My SS usually absorbed all the bumps on the road without a problem. With my ZL1, the ride feels great but whenever I hit a bump it seems like I'm actually hitting a pothole. Also, my front right tire sounds like it's hitting the wheel well on every bump. Anyone have similar problems?
Your situation seems odd. My car rides very smooth in all road conditions. When I took delivery on the car my first impression was it rode like a Caddlilac and not a sports car. I would definitely get the car into the dealership and corrected under the factory warranty. Good luck!
2Z's4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #36
BriteCrawler

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I went from 2005 SRT-10 Ram to 2009 Challenger to 2011 SS to 2014 ZL1. Z rides the best of all 4.

Did you take it in?
BriteCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #37
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Being a previous SS owner, the ride is different than the SS on a ZL1. It handles better in every way but the bumps are killing the smoothness. My SS usually absorbed all the bumps on the road without a problem. With my ZL1, the ride feels great but whenever I hit a bump it seems like I'm actually hitting a pothole. Also, my front right tire sounds like it's hitting the wheel well on every bump. Anyone have similar problems?
Dump the Supercar's if you are not tracking it or if you can afford to put a second set of rims with Michelin..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 AM   #38
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Hey everyone, the problem is now fixed! It turned out that all my tires were running 26 psi and the dealer had to replace a strut. I'm still puzzled on why my strut was bent in the first place but good thing for warranties.
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 AM   #39
himmy33
Go Cougs!

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Just curious how has the ride improved?
himmy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #40
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I would expect the TPMS to whine like a little girl at 26psi. It did on my SS at 30. Must be they give the Z's more slack.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #41
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
magnet ride is B.S. It took me a long time to accept the B.s. too, because if you try hard enough you can learn to like it. But the magnet ride is overly sensitive and only good for a perfectly smooth track imo. I think that in the theory of how it functions to correct the lean of the car as it pulls through corners is excellent, but bumps have not been factored into the equation properly yet. I believe what happens is the magnet ride holds the car firmly in place, rather then to let it flow up and down with the bumps as conventional shock absorbers would.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #42
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
magnet ride is B.S. It took me a long time to accept the B.s. too, because if you try hard enough you can learn to like it. But the magnet ride is overly sensitive and only good for a perfectly smooth track imo. I think that in the theory of how it functions to correct the lean of the car as it pulls through corners is excellent, but bumps have not been factored into the equation properly yet. I believe what happens is the magnet ride holds the car firmly in place, rather then to let it flow up and down with the bumps as conventional shock absorbers would.
I disagree. I think it's great on rough roads (especially considering it's a high performance car) and I was pleasantly surprised when I first test drove it. I didn't expect a car that handles this well to also offer such a compliant ride. I'm sure then next generation will be even better. Here is an older article that explains it pretty well.

http://jalopnik.com/5932764/how-magn...d-a-race-track
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote