#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
MBRP exhaust on a ZL1?

Does anyone have the MBRP Catback Street Profile exhaust on their ZL1?
How do you like it? I'm looking into ordering it.

https://www.mbrp.com/collections/s70...ro-zl1-6-2l-v8
Old 04-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have the MBRP Race 3" stainless steel catback on mine. It sounds really good. I feel that the Race version is probably just on the edge of "too loud". Back when I was just boltons I used to always look and make sure nobody was standing around or behind the car before starting it up as the cold start sounds like an explosion, lol!! The street version would probably be a little quieter. I got it because at the time (back in 2017) it was only around $800 while other companies were charging like $1200 for theirs...and some were charging more for an axleback than I got my catback for.

Install is pretty easy. Last I knew they didn't come with functional valves. But they do have a bracket that you bolt the stock valves to and then bolt the bracket inside the rear panel so it is out of the way. That was pretty cool. I say go for it. MBRP makes some really great products and I usually go with them over everyone else. My 18 GT has the MBRP Race 3" stainless steel also.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I have the MBRP Race 3" stainless steel catback on mine. It sounds really good. I feel that the Race version is probably just on the edge of "too loud". Back when I was just boltons I used to always look and make sure nobody was standing around or behind the car before starting it up as the cold start sounds like an explosion, lol!! The street version would probably be a little quieter. I got it because at the time (back in 2017) it was only around $800 while other companies were charging like $1200 for theirs...and some were charging more for an axleback than I got my catback for.

Install is pretty easy. Last I knew they didn't come with functional valves. But they do have a bracket that you bolt the stock valves to and then bolt the bracket inside the rear panel so it is out of the way. That was pretty cool. I say go for it. MBRP makes some really great products and I usually go with them over everyone else. My 18 GT has the MBRP Race 3" stainless steel also.
Thanks for the info!
I had an MBRP cat back system on my 2010 SS and loved it so I figured they still made a great product. It amazes me the price difference between systems nowadays, most are too pricy for my taste.
MBRP is much more affordable!
Old 04-08-2022, 09:40 PM   #4
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
just installed the race version. its loud for cold start up and WOT but you can 100% DD it and not cause an issue. i can talk in the car, no drone, just sounds good.

however...install is a huge PITA!! slip fit sucks!! also they screwed up one pipe that wouldnt slip fit over the OEM cat on the passenger side and i had to cut, weld it and make it fit.
Attached Images

synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper3000 View Post
Thanks for the info!
I had an MBRP cat back system on my 2010 SS and loved it so I figured they still made a great product. It amazes me the price difference between systems nowadays, most are too pricy for my taste.
MBRP is much more affordable!
thats because they dont use stainless like others. aluminized steel is the cheapest junk you can buy but it works for a summer car or track car. 409ss isnt any better. these 2000-3000k systems which are still way over priced use 304ss which can still surface pit rust and will need polished overtime as they use cheap Chinese 304ss. real american 304ss wont rust at all and you'll see words written down the side of it like PVC pipe at Home Depot and it'll be super dull looking metal. thats the good stuff! i know Fast Intensions only uses USA 304ss.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:21 PM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
thats because they dont use stainless like others. aluminized steel is the cheapest junk you can buy but it works for a summer car or track car. 409ss isnt any better. these 2000-3000k systems which are still way over priced use 304ss which can still surface pit rust and will need polished overtime as they use cheap Chinese 304ss. real american 304ss wont rust at all and you'll see words written down the side of it like PVC pipe at Home Depot and it'll be super dull looking metal. thats the good stuff! i know Fast Intensions only uses USA 304ss.

Give me a break with this nonsense. I had this system on my ZL1 for 5 years now and over 20K miles. MBRP makes a great product. And if using a different type of stainless steel allows them to price their products for less than half of what you're paying then I'm all for it.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #7
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Sorry since this isn't exactly what you were asking. I had an MBRP Axle Back on, not a CAT Back. Sounded mean as hell but holy lord was it LOUD! Too loud, so I replaced it with a Stainless Works.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:57 AM   #8
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
If you can afford a ZL1, you can afford a real exhaust. MBRP is like a semi-well made straight pipe.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:18 AM   #9
synolimit

Quote:

Give me a break with this nonsense. I had this system on my ZL1 for 5 years now and over 20K miles. MBRP makes a great product. And if using a different type of stainless steel allows them to price their products for less than half of what you're paying then I'm all for it.
And I’m sure you DD through every winter no matter what haha
Old 04-09-2022, 01:19 AM   #10
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
If you can afford a ZL1, you can afford a real exhaust. MBRP is like a semi-well made straight pipe.
It’s under a lowered car, who cares! No one cares or sees a waste of money like that.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
And I’m sure you DD through every winter no matter what haha
Actually I do. I DD all my cars. The only time I don't drive them is if snow is on the ground. So after 5-6 years would you like me to pull some pics of how my exhaust looks today? let me know and I will gladly do so.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
I'm certainly not the one you wanna talk finances with. I can afford anything any company has to offer for this car. However I refuse to throw away money on overpriced items that do nothing more than the same item from a different company that costs a third of the price.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Quote:
I'm certainly not the one you wanna talk finances with. I can afford anything any company has to offer for this car. However I refuse to throw away money on overpriced items that do nothing more than the same item from a different company that costs a third of the price.
Titanium literally sounds different than stainless steel and MBRP offers an objectively worse product than Corsa so...
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

OP for what you'll spend on a Corsa exhaust or any of these other exhausts you could go to JRE and get their 75-100 RWHP package.

Haha, $600 for exhaust tips. $1700 for an axle-back. $2200 for a 2.75 inch catback. At those prices I'd rather have the stock exhaust. MBRP Race system is $1000 and it is one of the best sound systems available. No drone. Super easy install. I did mine on ramps with hand tools and it took maybe about 3 hours. And it is durable. They also work well with future upgrades. I'm now on LTs with cam, blower, ported heads, etc. I had the LTs matched to the catback to make it a true complete 3 inch system from the collectors back. This thing is the most aggressive sounding car I've owned.