Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
New member in AZ

Hi Folks. Just bought an '18 ZL1, A10 & PDR.

I'm building a pro-touring car ('70 Firebird Formula), but it's taking forever to finish, so I bought this to hold me over. My son convinced me that a ZL1 is a much better option than the other more expensive performance oriented cars I was considering. For once he was right!

He already has a small list of mods he thinks "we" should do. It's funny, I have a couple '60s muscle cars, and he's never shown much interest in them, but now all of a sudden he wants to start wrenching! His first order of business was removing the front license plate mount.

The plan is to use it as a quasi dd. I'll be making the 4 hr trip to Vegas in it in a couple weeks, and am curious to know how well it will work on a longer drive. I'm considering a spare tire kit from Modern Spare, unless there are better options? Waiting in the desert for a tow really sucks.
Attached Images

Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post

I'm building a pro-touring car ('70 Firebird Formula), but it's taking forever to finish, so I bought this to hold me over. My son convinced me that a ZL1 is a much better option than the other more expensive performance oriented cars I was considering. For once he was right!

He already has a small list of mods he thinks "we" should do. It's funny, I have a couple '60s muscle cars, and he's never shown much interest in them, but now all of a sudden he wants to start wrenching! His first order of business was removing the front license plate mount.

The plan is to use it as a quasi dd. I'll be making the 4 hr trip to Vegas in it in a couple weeks, and am curious to know how well it will work on a longer drive. I'm considering a spare tire kit from Modern Spare, unless there are better options? Waiting in the desert for a tow really sucks.
1st off Welcome... great 1st post.

I drove mine from Detroit to Houston and it's super nice on the highway.

I'm also from AZ (Yuma) and had a 1970 Firebird Formula 400 for 20 years.
Hope to see some pics of yours during the build.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Welcome! Great choice. Wise son.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Welcome and enjoy the drive. I've taken mine on several 1,500 - 2,000 mile road trips. I've driven it from South Louisiana to Bowling Green, KY; put it on National Corvette Museum Raceway (NCM) the next day; Beech Bend NHRA drag strip the following day and then cruised up to a distillery on Saturday. Sunday, I strapped in and drove home to South Louisiana.

I think a short trip out to Vegas will be a walk in the park.

FWIW, Gettysburg, Antietam and Frederick, MD are on the dance card for May.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
Quote:

See ya on the road.
Attached Images

Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
Welcome! I'm in Scottsdale too. See you on the road!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Excellent choice!!

Sweet!! You're gonna love it.
I love mine!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Alponcho

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
1st off Welcome... great 1st post.

I drove mine from Detroit to Houston and it's super nice on the highway.

I'm also from AZ (Yuma) and had a 1970 Firebird Formula 400 for 20 years.
Hope to see some pics of yours during the build.
Here's a pretty accurate rendering of the my Formula project. Aluminum 535ci, T56 magnum, detroit speed suspension, baer brakes, forgeline, etc., but rying to maintain factory vibe, so nothing really over the top--factory colors (carousel red, sandalwood) and finishes/emblems/trim for the most part. Have everything and the metal work is done...Just waiting for my painter to free up some space in his shop, and then assembly.
Attached Images

Alponcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Love it!

Quote:
Here's a pretty accurate rendering of the my Formula project. Aluminum 535ci, T56 magnum, detroit speed suspension, baer brakes, forgeline, etc., but rying to maintain factory vibe, so nothing really over the top--factory colors (carousel red, sandalwood) and finishes/emblems/trim for the most part. Have everything and the metal work is done...Just waiting for my painter to free up some space in his shop, and then assembly.
My first car was a 73 Formula 350. Loved that car!!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Great car and great colour
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Perfect.... I can't even tell you how much I would have liked to to a project like this to mine.
I knew when I finally let it go that someday the regrets would come.

Look forward to to seeing yours done some day.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 681
Size:  100.0 KB
Old 02-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #12
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Perfect.... I can't even tell you how much I would have liked to to a project like this to mine.
I knew when I finally let it go that someday the regrets would come.

Look forward to to seeing yours done some day.

Attachment 1019141
Great pic Mlee! Now those were the days when your car was all that mattered! Thanks for sharing
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Great pic Mlee! Now those were the days when your car was all that mattered! Thanks for sharing
Yup... mowed a lot of lawns to get my 1st car.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:

Welcome, and enjoy the ZL1! I hope it cures your itch while the project car evolves.

My 14yr old son has taken to caring for, and wanting to improve on both of our weekend cars as well. Once he caught the bug last summer he even started washing and detailing neibourhood cars!

We took a long weekend course together (his request for his birthday), on how to do this properly, and then he was off to the races. Advertising thru word of mouth and his friends parents, before long he couldn’t keep up! He made quite a bit of $$ last summer, and plans to get it going again come spring.

Figured I would throw in a shot of him buffing the course project vehicle. It’s great when you find those things you have in common and can enjoy with your kids!
Attached Images