Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
HeadonaStick

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Another 1-2 Grind Thread and Warranty Issue!

I am having the 1-2 grind issue with my 2011 Camaro.

I won't go into the things my dealer has told me, but basically the dealer where I purchased the car refuses to fix it.

So I go to a second dealer. The service manager immediately tells me to take their transmission tech for a ride and the car grinds its little heart out and the trip lasts 1/2 a block. They arrange a rental for me and aside from the fact that the tech told me that "this is the same transmission they have been using in Corvettes for years and I have never heard of this before" everything seems good and the service are perfect.

That was Monday. Today I call to check on my car since I have not heard anything and I am told that because it has a Hurst short throw on it they won't cover it under warranty. I am at a loss. First of all, the first dealer actually recommended I put it on to help the problem which was present prior to the installation.

Second, all a short throw shifter does is move the fulcrum of the lever - it doesn't touch the transmission and the cable/rods move the same amount of distance. I don't see how this could have caused the issue that is in the transmission.

I am just a little tired of being jerked around. Any suggestions? I haven't had the "big" argument with the service manager yet, but my head is about to explode so I thought it best to wait...

(2011 V6 with 68,000 miles)

Last edited by HeadonaStick; 10-23-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Title change...
HeadonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Throw the stock shifter back on. Takes about an hour. Then take it back?
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
HeadonaStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdDude View Post
Throw the stock shifter back on. Takes about an hour. Then take it back?
I thought about that, but now they will have noted the Hurst shifter. Don't they maintain records of cars in for service by VIN?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
HeadonaStick

I called around 10:30 this morning and was told that the service manager would call me back.

It is now 7:40 and I have not received a call. I am stuck with a rental, don't know what is going on with my car and I suspect they are going to try and make me pay for the rental.

Is there anyone at Chevy who actually wants to help? It certainly doesn't seem like I am going to get any help from the dealers - I can't even get them to call me back.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Maybe search the forum for a recent post from Chevrolet Customer Service Rep and PM them for assistance. I believe the dealer needs to prove that a mod caused a problem before they can deny warranty service.

Good luck with your repair!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
HeadonaStick

I just spoke to the dealer and we are now waiting to find out if it is denied or not, so maybe this is not going to be an issue after all. Not sure why it takes 4 days or more to make a decision, but that is another issue.

Last edited by HeadonaStick; 10-24-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello HeadonaStick,

I have responded to your message requesting more information so we may contact your dealership. I look forward to your response!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadonaStick View Post
I sent the PM last night and haven't heard back yet. I am going to call the dealer again after lunch - the dealer still hasn't called me back.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
HeadonaStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello HeadonaStick,

I have responded to your message requesting more information so we may contact your dealership. I look forward to your response!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks. I replied and appreciate your help.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Thanks for sending the information! I have replied to your private message.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadonaStick View Post
Thanks. I replied and appreciate your help.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
Now thats a good service dept. Looks like i have to take my car to MI for service!!!!
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
HeadonaStick

So, for anyone keeping score at home, Jessica has been helpful and made a number of calls to the dealer - but they are still discussing whether or not to cover the transmission issues under warranty, and the service manager won't be back until Monday. But nobody called to let me know - if it weren't for Jessica's calls I wouldn't know that.

The grind was present prior to the shifter install. I posted here about the issue and I should have a receipt for the install that is after my first post.

I still am at a loss how there could even be a consideration that the shifter caused the problem. It is a pretty well documented problem with these cars. When I took the car in the first time the service writer admitted this is not an unusual issue with these cars. Finally, the shifter doesn't actually impact the internals of the transmission.

Can anyone tell me how the warranty process actually works on the dealer side of things?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
I have dealt with it too, I switched to Redline NS 75-90 fluid and it helped a lot, keep in mind the Hurst shifts the trans quicker, so more prone to grinding, I have to shift fairly easy and if I get up near 7k rpm it will almost always grind.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
HeadonaStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
I have dealt with it too, I switched to Redline NS 75-90 fluid and it helped a lot, keep in mind the Hurst shifts the trans quicker, so more prone to grinding, I have to shift fairly easy and if I get up near 7k rpm it will almost always grind.
A quicker shift may (and that is a big "may") make the grind more pronounced but it certainly won't create the problem.

The shifter doesn't change how the transmission itself works, and all of the connections between the shifter and the transmission remain unchanged.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
I even replaced my trans, and it still acts the same, plus only 2 qts of fluid in this trans, Aisen trans versus the tremec... Its a common issue with the V6, most learn to live with it. I am not saying that you should, but be prepared to it being "normal" for that particular transmission. I bet if you drive 10 others, they all will do the same.