Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I agree, keep it clean & simple. I like all my cars to look like they were just pulled off of the showroom. (I don't want to look at air fresheners, a dozen different mounts, or cheap stick-on plastic pieces)
With the tech in the car for AA/CarPlay, I honestly don't know what having the screen of the phone visible in any form would really add as a value component. I'm all for just tucking the phone away somewhere discreet and having a cable connected for charging...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #30
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Tons of apps that are useful that don't show up in Apple Car play.

Quote:
Such as..? What is the "ton" of useful apps, that should be used WHILE driving?
Gas Buddy for starters. I also have several of the fast food apps on my phone so I can order and pay for my burgers or whatever from the car while I’m in the McWendy’s King parking lot.

Finally, I just ordered an OBD dongle that I will connect to the Torque Pro app. This will allow me to see what the ethanol content is in my tank when I fill up on E85.

Let’s not make the logic leap of thinking that because the phone is in field of view that there is active engagement while the car is moving. I have no issue looking at Gas Buddy while stopped at a light or before I leave a parking spot. I make my fast food orders while sitting still in their parking lot, in line. Not at 75 mph trying to find the nearest drive-thru.

So, those of you who use ProClip or cup holder mounts or window suction cup mounts, good on ya! Use responsibly. Those of you who prefer a nice uncluttered interior and can do without the distraction of the phone in a holder, good on ya! Enjoy the tranquility. Let’s stop trying to convert each other.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Gas Buddy for starters. I also have several of the fast food apps on my phone so I can order and pay for my burgers or whatever from the car while I’m in the McWendy’s King parking lot.

Finally, I just ordered an OBD dongle that I will connect to the Torque Pro app. This will allow me to see what the ethanol content is in my tank when I fill up on E85.

Let’s not make the logic leap of thinking that because the phone is in field of view that there is active engagement while the car is moving. I have no issue looking at Gas Buddy while stopped at a light or before I leave a parking spot. I make my fast food orders while sitting still in their parking lot, in line. Not at 75 mph trying to find the nearest drive-thru.

So, those of you who use ProClip or cup holder mounts or window suction cup mounts, good on ya! Use responsibly. Those of you who prefer a nice uncluttered interior and can do without the distraction of the phone in a holder, good on ya! Enjoy the tranquility. Let’s stop trying to convert each other.
While I understand the sort of things you're describing in terms of use "in the car", I see none of them as needing to be used "while driving", and that's the reason they don't come over to AA/CarPlay.

Waze has gas pricing information built into it - why not extend the functionality from the car to send notification to Waze that the fuel level is low (like it does to pop up a notice in the dash) so that Waze can offer you up some refueling options?

One of the biggest issues with anything on the AA/CarPlay side is that the touch screen in the car is terrible compared to using the phone directly, and you have no way of stabilizing your hand like you do when holding the phone.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #32
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
These guys that run these phone mounts.. I would be curious to hear how they actually use them and their ages. I tend to think that I'm one of the younger guys on the forum (may be wrong), but no sort of phone mount has ever interested me in the least. I hate looking at them and I don't see a use for them, particularly if you have apple carplay/android auto.??? I've never used any in my life, but I would agree that Proclips is quite popular.
Exactly this. I set my carplay maps to whatever destination I need and put my phone away in the console. Having it on a mount always on display is distracting, your super important texts can wait.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #33
mooton

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I agree, keep it clean & simple. I like all my cars to look like they were just pulled off of the showroom. (I don't want to look at air fresheners, a dozen different mounts, or cheap stick-on plastic pieces)
This!

I cannot stand looking at cables and mounts. People spend a lot of time detailing their interiors and then have these unsightly add-ons ruining the aesthetics.

The Proclip mentioned here is probably the best solution for these cars if I had to use one, but I don't like that it blocks the passenger's access to the climate controls.

I've had very good luck in my 2019 with CarPlay2Air which gives you wireless CarPlay. The device itself is buggy, but I managed to find the right firmware version for it which has made it 99% stable and I will not be updating it anymore. So, unless I'm on a long trip, the phone stays in my pocket and calls, music (Apple Music and Amazon), podcasts, audiobooks, and maps are all handled via CarPlay.
mooton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #34
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Quote:
Agreed.

The following app categories are supported in CarPlay:

Audio
Communication
EV charging
Navigation
Parking
Quick food ordering

Logically, if having a visible iPhone screen is a distraction, unnecessary or even dangerous, as some here seem to think, then so is the visible car interface for it. Those of us who prefer 2 screens are smart enough to manage both of them safely and effectively.

And if a single interface cable is the cause for consternation, that's a sympton of a larger issue than AA/CarPlay.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #35
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
I like charging my phone and docking it in the car. Especially when I’m driving 45+ minutes to somewhere. I use a pro clip and love it (age 32 here).
Old 08-12-2021, 06:32 AM   #36
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:

What is the purpose of this..?
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #37
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
Agreed.

The following app categories are supported in CarPlay:

Audio
Communication
EV charging
Navigation
Parking
Quick food ordering

Logically, if having a visible iPhone screen is a distraction, unnecessary or even dangerous, as some here seem to think, then so is the visible car interface for it. Those of us who prefer 2 screens are smart enough to manage both of them safely and effectively.

And if a single interface cable is the cause for consternation, that's a sympton of a larger issue than AA/CarPlay.

we can all pretend that these phone mounts aren’t used in traffic, whether it is simply looking at the device while moving, or engaging with some sort of touch/audio interaction..but it happens. Those who say it makes absolutely no difference or either blatantly lying or delusional.lol All there is to it. Go through traffic anywhere and tell me if people are on their phones. Now, further tell me that these exceptional mounts don’t encourage that use.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #38
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It shouldn't if the phone is docked. It's no different then looking at the gauge cluster or infotainment at that point. The safety issue is those that fumble **** with their phone in hand while trying to drive. As I already mentioned once, My texts and calls come through the infotainment and the texts are automated.

When my phone is docked in the proclip mount this what I use it for:
Attached Images

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #39
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It shouldn't if the phone is docked. It's no different then looking at the gauge cluster or infotainment at that point. The safety issue is those that fumble **** with their phone in hand while trying to drive. As I already mentioned once, My texts and calls come through the infotainment and the texts are automated.

What does "docked" mean?
Old 08-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #40
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
What does "docked" mean?
means it's placed in a holder and connected to the cars infotainment so it handles your texts and calls.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #41
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:

That's nice. Reminds me I need to set up my torque pro one day, lol.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #42
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
means it's placed in a holder and connected to the cars infotainment so it handles your texts and calls.
So, "connected" to the Infotainment. Which, in the case of 2021 and newer, is available wirelessly and the phone can literally be anywhere in the car.

While I can appreciate that the info you're seeing off of the OBD2 port has some value in certain circumstances, I would guess that it doesn't provide any real-time information that impacts your driving in day-to-day (meaning that you aren't watching the data outputs and adjusting your driving "all the time"). In other words, that data is more like the fuel gauge and less like the speedometer in terms of how often you check and and make adjustments.