Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
rburke76

Drives: garnet red
6th generation not selling?

6th generation camaro not selling reason?
one of the reasons it is not selling as well as it should...Yes, price point, other options out there (bmw, mustang, challenger, etc...) but here is maybe another reason. Been a car guy my whole life, lived in a county that had 2 car plants, (GM and Chrysler)...have you watched the car shows lately? Gas Monkey, Overhaulin, Bitchin Rides, Counts Kustoms, etc..almost every day you see a 1st generation being worked on. Guess what? For 30,000$ you can get a 1st generation camaro with fuel injection replacing the carbuerator, disc brake conversion, 18-20 inch tires, and that LS Engine that can give you 400-500 horsepower and still get decent gas mileage? Why buy a "new" camaro for$30,000 - $50,000 when you can buy a classic 1st generation made with modern components?...These "car shows" and today's technology are ruining sales for this 6th generation camaro. The 5th generation camaro sold well because it had a better price point (V6 for $22,500) and looked more muscular with those three indentions and camaro written on the side. I love the 6th generation camaro, I have a 4cyl turbo and my price was $27,000..That's good enough for me..But other people want more horsepower, and just want a V6 or v8...Unless something changes quick there will be no 7th generation camaro, heck the 2018 camaro might be the last year and then no more camaro ever...And guess what? Most people won't miss it...Sad....Rant over.
Attached Images

rburke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
Need to shammy your hood...or use a blower...just saying

Nice ride
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Here's hoping!!! JK

Then my Fifty might actually be worth keeping as a collector.....LOL
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
You need a drying agent like duragloss aquawax to dry off that hood!

Great looking Camaro, BTW..............

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I will break it down easier for you

Us sales for 2016 72,705
Us sales for 2015 77,502

4,797 us sales are down but I would not say it's going anywhere yet.

Canada 2016 2,708
Canada 2015 2,668

40 plus sold not huge but better then the last year of the 5th gen

Gen6 Camaro is incredible classics are great and all but this car is much more then just a 4 or 500 hp car.

Technology
Warranty
Handles

Personally love the looks or I would of went 5th gen which I also like but the interior is just not my cup of tea.

Times are changing crossovers SUVs trucks and compact cars sell! These types of cars not as well mustang has a big following I know a lot of Mustang guys but only one Camaro guy.

Cars incredible I think you might have bought the wrong model SS and up and you wouldn't think this way you would have a permanent grin like I do now and a sciatica attack from the torque.

Just my 2 cents...
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Could it be that ALL CARS ARE DOWN DUE TO CHEAP GAS? Everyone is buying SUV's and Trucks.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
I will break it down easier for you

Us sales for 2016 72,705
Us sales for 2015 77,502

4,797 us sales are down but I would not say it's going anywhere yet.

Canada 2016 2,708
Canada 2015 2,668

40 plus sold not huge but better then the last year of the 5th gen

Gen6 Camaro is incredible classics are great and all but this car is much more then just a 4 or 500 hp car.

Technology
Warranty
Handles

Personally love the looks or I would of went 5th gen which I also like but the interior is just not my cup of tea.

Times are changing crossovers SUVs trucks and compact cars sell! These types of cars not as well mustang has a big following I know a lot of Mustang guys but only one Camaro guy.

Cars incredible I think you might have bought the wrong model SS and up and you wouldn't think this way you would have a permanent grin like I do now and a sciatica attack from the torque.

Just my 2 cents...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
Could it be that ALL CARS ARE DOWN DUE TO CHEAP GAS? Everyone is buying SUV's and Trucks.
I agree on both comments.

This topic has already been posted a few times and most make the same comment.. Gas is cheap. SUV and Trucks are hot right now. Sales are not that far off to start talking about the Camaro going away..
JMHO

PS: Dry your car before taking pictures and posting.. Just giving you a hard time
Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Yes, you can equip a 1st gen with a fuel injected LS1, air conditioning, coil over fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, power brakes, and it will be a great ride for $40,000 no one would argue that.

But seriously, would you drive that car year round? To work and back every day? In city traffic, bad weather? The steel alone used on every car in 1968 would rot out in 4 years of daily driving in Cleveland winters.

The 6th gen can be driven year 'round. It has modern passive and active safety features for one thing that you could NEVER install into a '68 restomod..... maybe ABS or traction control, but stability control? 8 Air Bags? No.

And then there's the modern convenience thing. Yes people buy a restomod for the performance and to drive the car and for the looks and that's all that matters or should matter, but let's face it: a 6th gen is just a billion times more comfortable to live with. Dual zone climate control, cruise, heated seats, even rear defrost....... kind of ties into the whole year round driveability.

A restomoded 1st gen is great but it's really a different car. Even the people who buy one probably own a much newer Camaro for their daily driving. It's a great car, I've seen some really well done ones at Barrett-Jackson over the years (both on TV and in person), and they are great cars for what they are. But they are NOT every day drivers. Even the millionaires who own a whole lot of them wouldn't drive them all the time and have a modern Camaro for that.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
It's funny, just like a few posters here, I noticed the hood and had a eye twitch haha. And no matter what happens to the camaro from here out...I gots mine! Lol
And I absolutely love it

Last edited by Drizzt ss; 02-19-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Drizzt ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Forms are great for conspiracy theories !

simple fact is, as written above , sedans are flat right now.....all the action is in the SAV, SUV , truck and crossover markets.BMW 3 ser were down 28%, 2016 vs 15......the x3 was up 35%!
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #11
RobertSmith

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke76 View Post
6th generation camaro not selling reason?
one of the reasons it is not selling as well as it should...Yes, price point, other options out there (bmw, mustang, challenger, etc...) but here is maybe another reason. Been a car guy my whole life, lived in a county that had 2 car plants, (GM and Chrysler)...have you watched the car shows lately? Gas Monkey, Overhaulin, Bitchin Rides, Counts Kustoms, etc..almost every day you see a 1st generation being worked on. Guess what? For 30,000$ you can get a 1st generation camaro with fuel injection replacing the carbuerator, disc brake conversion, 18-20 inch tires, and that LS Engine that can give you 400-500 horsepower and still get decent gas mileage? Why buy a "new" camaro for$30,000 - $50,000 when you can buy a classic 1st generation made with modern components?...These "car shows" and today's technology are ruining sales for this 6th generation camaro. The 5th generation camaro sold well because it had a better price point (V6 for $22,500) and looked more muscular with those three indentions and camaro written on the side. I love the 6th generation camaro, I have a 4cyl turbo and my price was $27,000..That's good enough for me..But other people want more horsepower, and just want a V6 or v8...Unless something changes quick there will be no 7th generation camaro, heck the 2018 camaro might be the last year and then no more camaro ever...And guess what? Most people won't miss it...Sad....Rant over.
I agree there are a lot of choices. I'm thinking new choices because I'm not much for working on my own cars anymore. I can understand car companies and dealers wanting to get the best price they can. What I don't understand is them thinking you HAVE to come back to them.

I gave up 14 years of daily driving a Miata because Mazda dealers didn't want to deal (at all). I bought a Evo X instead which has been great. I think a 1LE would be a fantastic car, but I can wait.

I think the Mustang and Camaro basically churn over the same buyers. Buy new to replace old. They need to keep that in mind no what what their aspirations are for the car. World class sports car? Go for it, as long as the price is reasonable. King of the hill musclecar that has a price also. I think the problem is they want one car to be everything which artificially pushes up the price for the the volume leader models.

The high-horsepower gas engines, at the level we're talking about now, have a limited lifespan. The electrics (hybrid and otherwise) are coming. So I think you're definitely right in at least one sense. That party is ending. Whether that is by buyer indifference, miss-pricing, or regulations these types of cars may be the last of the pure v8 engine musclecars.
RobertSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Price is very similar based on inflation. From 5th gen to 6 gen actually all gens are comparable in price from 1st to 6th. Camaros not going anywhere soon.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #13
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
That's about the size of it.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #14
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I tried it for a couple years. Bought a well done 69 with Hot rodded LT1 and 4LE60. Full modern front clip based on C4 with coil overs and rack and pinion steering, nice molded seats, 17" wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes. Car handled great and drove nicely and I drove it about half time as my daily.

But it really wasn't a pleasant car to take on a long road trip. Wife didn't like it much. It was still a pretty hard core car. The 6th gen is so much better in every way. Rides nice. Quiet cabin. Very nice NVH and stiff chassis. Does everything well. I would not trade my 6th gen to get a pro touring classic. They look cool and the performance is pretty good but you can't give them the manners of a newer car. I would much prefer driving my 6th gen in almost any situation.

At this point I would not bother building a classic pro touring car. You can't make them as good as a new one for anywhere near the same $. I would like to add a classic to the stable at some point. But it would just be a drive it couple times a month on a Sunday type of car so may as well keep it old school.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote