Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Camaro or Corvette?
2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE 41 49.40%
2016 Corvette 1LT Z51 42 50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #29
erickangulo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I know that Costco has discount program for automobile purchases but I did not know that they contacted you. How did they know that you wanted a 1LE?
I checked on their site for discounts and chose the 1LE as my preferred choice of vehicle. I'm assuming that with that information they checked local dealer inventories and sent their offer. It's pretty bad ass.
erickangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #30
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
The best place to buy a new vette is Kerbeck. 15% off MSRP plus additional discounts.

I'd get 2016 Z51 but used though. There's no major difference from 2016-17 except somebody else ate the biggest year of depreciation for you. It may end up being cheaper than a new Camaro.

Also, I'm not sure which performance numbers support the 1LE over the Z51 except for the slightly higher engine output. The 1LE is a heavier car and the Z51 is the 1LE of C7's. Make sure you get it with magnetic ride if you go with the vette though or it's going to be a rough ride when the roads aren't perfect.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #31
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
ok since you apparently don't believe me are some more easy google searchable figures.
http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/upszzo4f17hm
That is a comparison between the 1LE and the stingray.
Oh wait you say? But how do I know that isn't just the base stingray without the z51 package.

I'm glad you asked
If you look at the curb weight of the car its listed at 3477 lbs.
Here are the curb weights for the c7 corvettes
3,347 lb (1,518 kg) (Base) 3,444 lb (1,562 kg) (Z51)

That combined with the fact that there isn't a separate entry for the z51, strongly leads me to believe that these times refer to the z51. It shows that it could go either way on the track, and considering from an MSRP standpoint there is like 20-25k difference between the (new) cars.

I feel like getting a brand new car with full warranty and no wear or miles on it is kind of a big deal for 2 cars that have similar performance values.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #32
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post

I really love the wheels on the 1LE, but really can't go wrong with either vehicle. I'm a noob here tho, so it would be a hard choice for me too. But this site has a ton of good info and helpful members thank god!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #33
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
ok since you apparently don't believe me are some more easy google searchable figures.
http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/upszzo4f17hm
That is a comparison between the 1LE and the stingray.
Oh wait you say? But how do I know that isn't just the base stingray without the z51 package.

I'm glad you asked
If you look at the curb weight of the car its listed at 3477 lbs.
Here are the curb weights for the c7 corvettes
3,347 lb (1,518 kg) (Base) 3,444 lb (1,562 kg) (Z51)

That combined with the fact that there isn't a separate entry for the z51, strongly leads me to believe that these times refer to the z51. It shows that it could go either way on the track, and considering from an MSRP standpoint there is like 20-25k difference between the (new) cars.

I feel like getting a brand new car with full warranty and no wear or miles on it is kind of a big deal for 2 cars that have similar performance values.
I still don't, sorry, and it's not personal. I just don't think that site is conclusive...and the driver was the same guy on the same day???
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

Old 02-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #34
Goobaba

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
a mighty tough choice.i looked at a base 2004 vette,51,000 miles and liked it when i drove it.came home with a 2015 RS camaro,certified used with chevy warrantee.drove about 15 different ones,looked them all over including a couple of 2016s.was not impressed with having to pay $1500 more for the optional 6 cylinder so i went with the last year it was standard.since my car only had 8,000 miles on it when i bought it,it wasnt even broken in yet.if you really like the vette see about getting a certified used one,the warrantee is a great feature.
I was also looking at used vettes before I went with the Camaro RS. Here in ATL you can get a used C6 for around the same price as a new Camaro RS. I test drove a few Corvettes, loved the V8 power and sound, but the interior just couldn't hold a candle to the new Camaro's. That and the Camaro's overall better daily drivability, plus a new car warranty tipped the scales way into the Camaro's direction. I would've been happy with either.
Goobaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #35
7stringtheory

Its not really relevant whether it was the same driver / same day in this case because you are essentially spending 25k more to get a car that doesn't really show a clear edge whether that means spending 25k more on a new one or buying a used one instead of a new 1LE. I feel like this is a spot where proving its likely a toss up between the two makes the 1LE a clear winner from a performance value standpoint.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #36
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Comparison of 1LE, Z51, Grand Sport:

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 02-16-2017 at 01:57 PM.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #37
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
Its not really relevant whether it was the same driver / same day in this case because you are essentially spending 25k more to get a car that doesn't really show a clear edge whether that means spending 25k more on a new one or buying a used one instead of a new 1LE. I feel like this is a spot where proving its likely a toss up between the two makes the 1LE a clear winner from a performance value standpoint.
You're quoting track times from this site. So yes it is relevant - you brought it up. The driver absolutely plays a role in track times and so does the temperature. The 1LE weighs 300+lbs more than a Z51, which also has better aerodynamics. I just don't believe what you posted is accurate. Now if you showed us Randy from Motortrend doing laps back to back in the cars like in a head to head, that would be another story.

Where are you getting $25k more from? His topic's title says "1LE vs. USED 2016 Z51". If you're going to start talking about "value", you can't ignore depreciation in your comparison. Everyone can do whatever they want, but a brand new Camaro 1LE is probably going to lose close to $10k (give or take) of it's value in Year 1 of depreciation alone. A 1 year old Z51, if he can score a good price on a good car (maybe CPO), that's $ he's never going to lose when the time comes to sell. For comparable cars - even if I'm off by $1k in my estimate - that's not chump change. Assuming it's a good car, going used over new is always the better value if the $ is right. I haven't looked up the value of used Z51's lately but I'd bet they're close now, which is why he titled the comparison to a used Z51. Saying the 1LE is the clear performance value winner only makes sense comparing new to new.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #38
LesBaer
FMPG

I looked up the vin# from the sheets above on Carfax and it's definitely a Z51 (3LT).

Anyway, I'm out...good luck on your decision OP. You can't go wrong either way

Old 02-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #39
7stringtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
You're quoting track times from this site. So yes it is relevant - you brought it up. The driver absolutely plays a role in track times and so does the temperature. The 1LE weighs 300+lbs more than a Z51, which also has better aerodynamics. I just don't believe what you posted is accurate. Now if you showed us Randy from Motortrend doing laps back to back in the cars like in a head to head, that would be another story.

Where are you getting $25k more from? His topic's title says "1LE vs. USED 2016 Z51". If you're going to start talking about "value", you can't ignore depreciation in your comparison. Everyone can do whatever they want, but a brand new Camaro 1LE is probably going to lose close to $10k (give or take) of it's value in Year 1 of depreciation alone. A 1 year old Z51, if he can score a good price on a good car (maybe CPO), that's $ he's never going to lose when the time comes to sell. For comparable cars - even if I'm off by $1k in my estimate - that's not chump change. Assuming it's a good car, going used over new is always the better value if the $ is right. I haven't looked up the value of used Z51's lately but I'd bet they're close now, which is why he titled the comparison to a used Z51. Saying the 1LE is the clear performance value winner only makes sense comparing new to new.
No, you are missing the point. Its not relevant. Obviously it would be relevant if we were trying to determine the absolute winner down to any degree of accuracy. But my point is that the fact that the times that are available are that close gives the edge to the 1LE in my opinion. Because if you can even prove they are close with such a disparity in cost, I feel its pretty evident which is a better value. And you say that the cost is only relevant comparing new to new but that is also not true, because you have to factor in when you buy used you are losing value in the warranty, and I dont claim to be a car price depreciation expert but I would guess that a 2016 z51 with <15k miles on it hasnt gone through its entire major depreciation hit before it start to devalue more linearly. (i could be wrong about that)

Edit: Warranty is kind of a big deal for a performance machine you intend to push hard just saying
Old 02-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #40
erickangulo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I think that this kind of nails it in the head. You've gotta pretend that these two cars will be bought for the exact same amount of money. New vs new, is hands down get the 1LE as there's no way I could afford a new Z51. Thanks to everyone for the advice, it looks like it'll be really close. I mean, part of the reason that I wouldn't get a Mustang is because I feel like the Camaro edges it out in most of the categories overall. And it seems to me from Car and Driver (who is a reputable source) that the Corvette edges out the Camaro. We'll see a year from now.
erickangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #41
7stringtheory

How does that nail anything on the head? If you are "pretending the cars will be bought with the same amount of money" you also have to pretend that someone has driven the ever living shit out of the z51 for 10-15k miles and you are getting sloppy seconds.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #42
Swayse

Drives: GTPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickangulo View Post
I think that this kind of nails it in the head. You've gotta pretend that these two cars will be bought for the exact same amount of money. New vs new, is hands down get the 1LE as there's no way I could afford a new Z51. Thanks to everyone for the advice, it looks like it'll be really close. I mean, part of the reason that I wouldn't get a Mustang is because I feel like the Camaro edges it out in most of the categories overall. And it seems to me from Car and Driver (who is a reputable source) that the Corvette edges out the Camaro. We'll see a year from now.
Stock for stock magazine racing. Shoot, buy a used GTPP Mustang, add 350R springs and Koni shocks, PSS tires, Headers, Tune, GT350 intake manifold and enjoy. Just reving out to 8,000 rpm is worth the thrill.
Swayse is offline   Reply With Quote