Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #29
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Its probably almost as cheap to just ad a Heart Beat. You have to do a lot of work to change the cam which means a lot more labor cost
Just my opinion.

I see a fast car at the track. Check it out. If it has super,turbo or nitrous. Yeah its still cool and all. But its to be expected.

You see a car run tens and find out its NA. Now that's bad ass. That takes some thought. That takes some effort.

And they sound amazing with a cam.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #30
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
530 from a heads, cam, intake and exhaust? That's a pretty impressive upgrade from GM parts.
I think they're referring to this as flywheel hp, so if that's the case, 530 isn't all that great at all..
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #31
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
"unspecified power adder"...wonder what that could be? Some good tune work?
A betting man would say they will offer the LT4 supercharger as a kit just like ADM does on here. They have all the parts sitting on shelves already, it's a win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
It wouldn't. Stock is 2.77.

First gear would be useless it's already equivalent to like 4.56 with the 2.77 rear gear.

The Scat has like a 3.07. Seems to help a bit.

Maybe 3.23? 3.73 wayyyy too much imo.

As for the stalls lots of guys claim the new stuff is very streetable in the 4K range. But have no personal experience
Listen to the video one more time. Conventional wisdom would say yes, a 3.73 with a 17.00 effective ratio is too much gearing in first gear and makes it useless, but he did say they put it in the A8.....if it was an epic failure, it wouldn't be mentioned...but it was....hmmm I say.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:22 PM   #32
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
That is exciting news

A 4200 stall converter is not streetable so that's out the window for me, the 3.73 gear change for the A8 I have wondered about for some time and I would be interested in seeing how that would work.
A 4200 isn't bad at all.. I had a yank 4000 in my C6 Corvette and it could've served as a daily driver if needed.. If memory serves me correctly, it was a 10inch converter so the shift extention was kept in check as opposed to an all out race 9inch converter . Factory on that 6L80 was a 10.5 I believe. I also believe this 8L90 we have has a 10inch converter stock. If Chevy builds this converter around the stock diameter while still being able to stall it to 4200, this will be my very first major mod. It will drive like stock almost. Even at 4200, it may not even stall to about 3500 with near stock shift extention. As far as gear ratio goes, I think their thinking on the 3.73's, was do to overall tire height. The guy in the video mentioned having lot of sidewall. From the looks of it , that Hoosier appeared to be 29" tall , minimum 28". I didn't see a 29" tall slick on a 16 on Hoosiers site but if this is the case, that would explain the 3.73's. All they did was get back the final gear ratio they lost with the taller tire..
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #33
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
I'm still interested in the line lock that they demo'ed in that video.... I would love to be able to add line lock to my Camaro without an aftermarket kit.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #34
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
GM debut video from SEMA....
Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #35
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Just my opinion.

I see a fast car at the track. Check it out. If it has super,turbo or nitrous. Yeah its still cool and all. But its to be expected.

You see a car run tens and find out its NA. Now that's bad ass. That takes some thought. That takes some effort.

Yea, this is what I am thinking.

So how about 10s NA with a M6?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #36
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yea, this is what I am thinking.

So how about 10s NA with a M6?
Maybe cool for a race car, but driving one around town is almost always a PITA. I've had friends sell their Vettes after trying to stay NA and make good power. Stalling in reverse, bucking at low speeds, can't pass emissions, blah blah blah. Slap on a blower and drives like it's stock until you hit the loud pedal. No sense making things harder on yourself than they already are.

Saw a buddy at the track this weekend with his Chrysler 300 SRT. He was all pumped up as he'd just had $2100 ported heads, cam, tune, done. Probably $3800 or more with labor. He ran the exact same time he ran before the mods and was pissed. On the phone with his tuner hoping he could get more out of it after the first pass. Never did on Saturday. I told him "supercharge and be done" when I was leaving the track LOL.

Supercharge and be done.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #37
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Supercharger is nice and if Chevy offers a kit for $5-$7k with a warranty (60k powertain warranty - long shot tho) then that will be awesome.

If not, a tune + header package will be sufficient. Running mid to high 11's for an M6 (Low to mid 11's for auto guys) is plenty most that aren't hardcore track guys.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #38
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
you shouldn't have any drivability issues with the GMPP hot cam. Any bigger though, and I'm sure you'll start to open yourself up for remorse in certain DD/street-car situations.

the GM hot cams since the 350ci LT1 then to the LS1, and LS3 have always been reputable for being super easy to tune and well behaved. I don't see it being different here. The new HotRod article highlights the power increase comes from the fact the stock cam is sooo small, not that the hot cam is big.
I suspect your assumption is correct. I do wonder about emissions though, that's an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Supercharger is nice and if Chevy offers a kit for $5-$7k with a warranty (60k powertain warranty - long shot tho) then that will be awesome.

If not, a tune + header package will be sufficient. Running mid to high 11's for an M6 (Low to mid 11's for auto guys) is plenty most that aren't hardcore track guys.
I see a lot of guys on this forum worried about warranty. Has GM warrantied previous model cars with GM performance parts installed? I've never cared much about warranties on my performance cars as I usually mod the hell out of them right off the bat, but would be interesting if GM did do that and not make it a PITA to get coverage in the event of a failure.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #39
750x

Drives: Charger Hellcat
im interested in the A8 calibration....

How does one get their hands on it, i also wonder if it fixes paddle shift delay, faster shifting... etc
750x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #40
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Now if they would just restyle the SS front fascia so I don't wince every time I see it...
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #41
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Maybe cool for a race car, but driving one around town is almost always a PITA. I've had friends sell their Vettes after trying to stay NA and make good power. Stalling in reverse, bucking at low speeds, can't pass emissions, blah blah blah. Slap on a blower and drives like it's stock until you hit the loud pedal. No sense making things harder on yourself than they already are.
All that depends on how aggressive the cam is. The heads/cam will probably rob some low end power but will come on strong up top. Most likely the Chevy combination is a mild one with descent drivability. As it is the LT1 has more power than you can use on the street, but if you track your car all this will add to the fun.

Superchargers are cool but they add weight and are prone to heat soak and if you really use it hard you will break stuff. But if you want to use it hard you will wind up spending ZL1 $$. Been there done this. While with a 500+ rwhp car you can break stuff too but that instant extra torque and power of the SC is harder on the drive train.

I am not putting down supercharging, but you have to understand what you are getting yourself into. Make sure your AAA membership is paid up.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #42
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
It reminds me of the 60's when the big 3 manufactures produced parts for the weekend racer. It really generates brand loyalty. Wish I lived closer to a drag strip. Smart move GM.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote