Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #57
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Maybe my car is more tired than I realized. If I wasn't putting so much money in my Chevelle, I would fix the Z28.

I'm 23. I grew up with it and its the car that got me interested in Camaros.

I drive it because my Chevelle isn't done and I still think its a good car, just not in the way a Z/28 is.
I rest my case... sounds like GM did something right.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #58
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I rest my case... sounds like GM did something right.
I'm not saying its a shit car. I love driving it. I'm saying the Z28 badge is just for marketing. It doesn't mean what the Z/28 badge does.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Why not? You realize there are many people who used their Z28's just as they came from the factory in SCCA racing, right? Just check out Sam Strano and Solo II, for instance. One didn't need a 1LE to race their vehicle -- and win. There's also the Camaro-Mustang Challenge series, etc. Just because it was "just" another Camaro model rather than some "special" option doesn't make it any less commendable, especially if we put it into the context of its competition from that time frame.
Off the top of my head, Sam's seat time in Camaros was mainly in E-Street Prepared, which is a good bit removed from factory-stock in many respects.
Even F-Stock is allowed to run on better tires than the 5th gen Z/28 ships with.

I can't comment on C-M-C; I've never seen the rulebook.

If you're trying to say that the 3rd/4th gen Camaros were decent platforms for their time as something to start from, sure. But that's not quite the same as either this new Z/28 or the original that makes no excuses as to its intent from the get-go.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #60
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If you're trying to say that the 3rd/4th gen Camaros were decent platforms for their time as something to start from, sure. But that's not quite the same as either this new Z/28 or the original that makes no excuses as to its intent from the get-go.

Norm

That's all I was trying to say.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #61
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Off the top of my head, Sam's seat time in Camaros was mainly in E-Street Prepared, which is a good bit removed from factory-stock in many respects.
Even F-Stock is allowed to run on better tires than the 5th gen Z/28 ships with.

I can't comment on C-M-C; I've never seen the rulebook.

Norm
I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that certain classes like F-stock only allow for things like tires, but one has to use the same wheels (or wheels that were OE optional for that model; one could also use up-level exhaust for instance... like putting NPP on a non-NPP car would be OK). From my recollection, there was some time that went by before the SCCA changed their rules that allowed Z28 owners to swap their 16" wheels out for the new (at the time) 17" SS wheels.

Again, I am not involved in SCCA other than the two days I participated and met Sam when I owned my 2000 (which, incidentally, was bumped into a higher class because I had subframe connectors). With that said, most serious racers are going to change whatever they can to gain a competitive edge -- that is, whatever is allowed in their class. I'd expect nothing different with the 5th gen Z/28 (the only ones that will likely stay stock are one's that won't ever be used for their intended purpose).

At the end of the day, the point I was trying to make is what you were surmising at the end of your post with 3rd and 4th gens being competitive in the context of their competition at the time. I'd also venture to guess that one would have invested significantly less to make their "stock" Z28 into something competitive on the track compared to this [presumably] $70k monster. I am not saying that in a negative light, mind you, but just saying the 80's/90's Z28 was more "grass roots budget" friendly than this LS7 monster is going to be.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #62
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I think we're splitting hairs at this point. The intent for each of the three generation of camaros that were talking about IMO were very different from each other. In the first generation, the camaro wasn't paying homage to anything, so its focus was to offer an alternative to the mustang. The z/28 was a new offering that promised great track handling and affordable small block power. By the time the f-platform reached its pinnacle in the 4th generation, the z28's focus became more or less generic within the camaro line, due in part to the fact that it was a long running model with a legendary past, in which IMO the focus on exclusivity was not present. Ironically the 4th gens were faster, handled better and were more reliable than the first gens, but with the 4th gens they seemed somewhat standardized with its theme (thus z28, then z28SS, then z28 and ss, with the ss being an option for the z28).

With the 5th gens, we have more distinctiveness with the z/28 with some homage cues and an exciting power and handling package. Even with the 5th gen models, some compromise found their way in the offerings. High horsepower and good handling came at a cost of increased weight, bulk and a higher sticker price.

So its really not comparing apples to apples when looking at a 1st gen to a 4th gen to a 5th gen. Each generation's focus was influenced by its competitiors, the technology of the time, and prevailing government standards. All of the generations provided great performance for the money.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #63
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Ironically the 4th gens were faster, handled better and were more reliable than the first gens

So its really not comparing apples to apples when looking at a 1st gen to a 4th gen to a 5th gen.
to the first point

to the second point, to me it is apples to apples. the Z28 was the top of the line Camaro. the 1970 was by all accounts an even better car with better handling and the same acceleration. the third and fourth generations had cornering power the first generation certainly did not. so if we're not talking about actual performance I don't know what the hell we're talking about.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #64
lbls1

^True, but you do have to consider the technology available for the generations at the time. The first gens were trendsetters, as well as the second gen. However, the automobiles at those times didn't have the suspension and tire advantages that the 3rd, 4th and 5th gens had. Its great that the ladder day camaros outperformed their predecessors, but they did so as a result of the advancement of technology and lessons learned from building prior camaros.

Now...imagine a factory built first gen with an ls3, lowering springs, bilstein shocks and brembos. That would strike fear in (almost) any other factory built camaro!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #65
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
not getting your point. everything gets better. still means whatever is the best Camaro AT THAT TIME is a Z28. I love all Camaros. I've owned multiple generations, read books and have decades old magazines on them. since the new 'Z/28' was shown it's the first I've heard that a "Z28 is not a Z/28".
my point is now this thing has started, 'it's not a a real Z without the slash' well if it performs as good or better , how is it it not a real Z? if it's not all of us that owned them should sue GM for false advertising.

Last edited by AZCamaroFan; 06-05-2013 at 04:05 PM.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #66
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
not getting your point. everything gets better. still means whatever is the best Camaro AT THAT TIME is a Z28. I love all Camaros. I've owned multiple generations, read books and have decades old magazines on them. since the new 'Z/28' was shown it's the first I've heard that a "Z28 is not a Z/28".
my point is now this thing has started, 'it's not a a real Z without the slash' well if it performs as good or better , how is it it not a real Z? if it's not all of us that owned them should sue GM for false advertising.
Interesting way of putting it.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #67
lbls1

^My point is that its "pointless" to compare the different generations just based on their performance numbers, because all things are not equal in terms of how each generation of camaros were made, and how each generation produced their performance numbers.

I'm sure the "/" means something, but IMO I think analyzing the slash is an academic point as well. The slash means that chevy is associating this model, by name and its performance characteristics, closely to the first generation (obvious).

Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #68
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
^My point is that its "pointless" to compare the different generations just based on their performance numbers, because all things are not equal in terms of how each generation of camaros were made, and how each generation produced their performance numbers.

I'm sure the "/" means something, but IMO I think analyzing the slash is an academic point as well. The slash means that chevy is associating this model, by name and its performance characteristics, closely to the first generation (obvious).
In my opinion, the / designates that the car is built for the purpose of racing while being street legal. Sure, comparing the 1st gen Z/28 to the 4th gen Z28 isn't apples to apples and the 4th gen probably is faster in every way but, if you took a 4th gen and built it in a way to optimize its track performance, like a 1st gen, it would probably be significantly faster than a standard Z28 would be.

That is the point I am trying to make.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #69
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
The slash was dropped in 1973
...actually, the slash as it's referred to was dropped after 1969, 1970 through 1974 Camaro's Z28's used the same emblem....without the slash....
Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #70
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
everyone likes what they like lol

I've owned 6 Camaro's and 4 of which were t-tops. My 2 hardtops were fun as hell to drive in the twisties, but I loved my t-top cars more.

btw I hate it when people put SS hood's on a Z28, why not just buy the SS in the first place?
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation