Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Alex-A

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th Anniversary
Constant 12V Wire

Hey,

Going to hard wire a BlackVue Dash Cam with a Power Magic Pro so I can record while the car is parked. I've been doing a lot of searches, and found numerous threats on switched 12v but limited info on constant 12v. Found one thread where a guy ran a wire from the fuse box under the hood.

Is there anywhere closer I can tap into? Preferably somewhere already inside the cabin, or somewhere near the overhead console/mirror/a pillars?

Thanks
Alex-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Being as how the map lights don't need the car running I would assume there is full time power. Could be wrong though if they cut off after a pretiod of time to save the battery. Not sure is the computer picks up the amp draw. A camera would be minimal I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-A View Post
Hey,

Going to hard wire a BlackVue Dash Cam with a Power Magic Pro so I can record while the car is parked. I've been doing a lot of searches, and found numerous threats on switched 12v but limited info on constant 12v. Found one thread where a guy ran a wire from the fuse box under the hood.

Is there anywhere closer I can tap into? Preferably somewhere already inside the cabin, or somewhere near the overhead console/mirror/a pillars?

Thanks
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Cornholio
I need Teepee!

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Check out the DIY forum, there might be a how-to in there. That's where I found radar detector hard wire instructions (switched power).
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Alex-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
Check out the DIY forum, there might be a how-to in there. That's where I found radar detector hard wire instructions (switched power).
I've been looking. There are numerous threads about switched power for a Radar/Dash Cam, but not a lot of people have installed their dash cams with a kit to use the parking features that advanced cams offer. On top of that, even less people have written up a tutorial on how they did it.

My cam should arrive in the mail in about 2 days, so I'll go probing around seeing if I could find anything then, but in the meantime was wondering if someone knows where to look.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
Alex-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
Being as how the map lights don't need the car running I would assume there is full time power. Could be wrong though if they cut off after a pretiod of time to save the battery. Not sure is the computer picks up the amp draw. A camera would be minimal I think.
I'm sure those switch off after a while. I have accidentally left mine on, and came back 10 - 15 minutes later to find them off.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Alex-A

If anyone wants to know for future references, I went probing around today looking for a Constant 12V Wire. The Red wire from the 3 homelink buttons is a constant 12v wire. The Yellow wire from the homelink buttons is switched, but it doesn't output at 12v, so best to use anything else than that one.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
Amble

Drives: 2017 Arctic Blue 2SS
I would assume there's still a fuse block in the dash behind the driver's side door like the 5th gen. The seats should be always on 12v. The horn as well.

When I hooked up my power magic pro in my 5th gen I used the seats for my parking mode. The problem I had with the device was it was poorly shielded and caused interference with my key fob, causing it to not work at a distance further than 10 feet.
Amble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amble View Post
I would assume there's still a fuse block in the dash behind the driver's side door like the 5th gen.
Nope under hood and in trunk.
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Alex I Have both my radar detector and dash cam hard wired to my mirrors power supply. Use a flat head or panel tool to pry down the panel in front of the rear view mirror. (the one with the garage door opener and lights) There are 5 plugs going into the panel that need to be unclipped. The front two grey ones are push in side and pull out, same with the center most black one. The farthest grey plug has a red tab you have to lift then press in first to get out and that is the plug you want to get to. The 5th black plug is a pain in the a$$ and does not need to come off and I just let the panel hang off it while working. With the center grey plug closest to the mirror the black wire on the far passenger side is your ground. The second from driver side purple wire is your 12v switched wire. It should be the inner most purple wire. You can either shove wire down into the connector or strip and piggyback the wire up to you. Then electrical tape it up and plug it all back in and start the car to test. ez pz

Last edited by Whitemaro6; 02-21-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
I just ended up running it to the front fuse block under the hood.
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Gator Brah

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
I just ended up running it to the front fuse block under the hood.
remember which fuse you used? Im gonna be searching for a switched 12v source later. Definitely none in the trunk box lol
Gator Brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Guys use the passenger side A pillar for all your power needs.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #13
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemaro6 View Post
Alex I Have both my radar detector and dash cam hard wired to my mirrors power supply. Use a flat head or panel tool to pry down the panel in front of the rear view mirror. (the one with the garage door opener and lights) There are 5 plugs going into the panel that need to be unclipped. The front two grey ones are push in side and pull out, same with the center most black one. The farthest grey plug has a red tab you have to lift then press in first to get out and that is the plug you want to get to. The 5th black plug is a pain in the a$$ and does not need to come off and I just let the panel hang off it while working. With the center grey plug closest to the mirror the black wire on the far passenger side is your ground. The second from driver side purple wire is your 12v switched wire. It should be the inner most purple wire. You can either shove wire down into the connector or strip and piggyback the wire up to you. Then electrical tape it up and plug it all back in and start the car to test. ez pz
May have to print this out. Installing a Thinkware F750 2-Ch Friday.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Guys use the passenger side A pillar for all your power needs.
Not sure I'm following this. Are you saying route the cable from the underhood fuse box through the A-Pillar trim and up to the dash cam?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote