Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #127

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I hear that comment all the time but whom at Ford has stated this? Other than the Ford GT of a few years ago, Ford does not play in that market segment.
I hear ya,...but in my mind I always thought of the "Shelby Mustangs" as being more of a competitor with the Vette? (Completely un-official and un-substantiated point of view on my part...lol...just sayin")
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #128
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I hear ya,...but in my mind I always thought of the "Shelby Mustangs" as being more of a competitor with the Vette? (Completely un-official and un-substantiated point of view on my part...lol...just sayin")
Well I am in the market for a Vette and I just can't imagine cross-shopping a Mustang. Imagine going out to look at Vettes and coming home with a Mustang? How disappointing.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #129

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Well I am in the market for a Vette and I just can't imagine cross-shopping a Mustang. Imagine going out to look at Vettes and coming home with a Mustang? How disappointing.
I agree...Personally, I think Ford blew it's chance to compete with the Vette, going all the way back to the 50's...lol...The T-Bird sort of was the candidate to answer the Vette, but Ford couldn't figure out what the T-Bird was supposed to be, and blew the shot at making it their sports car...

I think the Camaro/Mustang thing loses some steam, given that Ford butchered the T-Bird line and never tried to compete with the Vette, and was left with "just" the Mustang and the "Shelby" upgrades.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #130
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I love my Camaro, but I somewhat agree with the OP. Ford seems to be more performance oriented, and they seem to understand what enthusiasts want. They offer add-on packages, gears, they make their cars lighter, etc.

What does GM do? They make our auto run in 4-banger mode. Just one example where the they chose economy over pure performance. It seems when comparing the Camaro to the Mustang, the Ford always edges it out in performance.

That said, the Camaro is much better looking, and it's an awesome car. I just think it's pretty conservative in its stock form.

Reliability wise, who knows. I'm sure there are plenty of Fords in the shop, but I just took my SS in for a rear main seal replacement because it was leaking oil at 1700 miles (probably sooner)

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #131
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
The Vette is always going to be Camaro's handicap. That's the cold fact. Ford's Mustang doesn't have the handicap - if they get a monster HP package they aren't competing with any halo cars. GM on the other hand can't allow the Camaro's HP to get too close to Corvette range or else all the 'Vette snobs will have their panties in a bunch. That's why you'll see Camaro's HP playing second fiddle. There's a reason Camaros has almost always had the same engine as the 'Vette, but yet has always been detuned so the HP wasn't identical to the Vette.
Excellent observation! I'm surprised the ZL1 was allowed to do the Nurburgring as fast as it did since it humbled many Z06s. The 4th gen Camaro was definitely victim to this malady and wasn't allowed to get close to 350 HP until Corvette got the Z06 at 385 HP. I'm very happy with the performance of my Camaro and if I choose to run faster in a straight line or road course, all it takes is money! I've had 5 Mustangs and 3 Camaros and I loved each...enjoy the power guys, the day is coming!!!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #132
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I love my Camaro, but I somewhat agree with the OP. Ford seems to be more performance oriented, and they seem to understand what enthusiasts want. They offer add-on packages, gears, they make their cars lighter, etc.

What does GM do? They make our auto run in 4-banger mode. Just one example where the they chose economy over pure performance. It seems when comparing the Camaro to the Mustang, the Ford always edges it out in performance.

That said, the Camaro is much better looking, and it's an awesome car. I just think it's pretty conservative in its stock form.

Reliability wise, who knows. I'm sure there are plenty of Fords in the shop, but I just took my SS in for a rear main seal replacement because it was leaking oil at 1700 miles (probably sooner)
this is why they are selling less mustangs though. Majority of the the consumers care about the overall car instead of straight numbers and engine options. You can put a 1,000,000 hp in a car but it doesn't look fresh on a 10 year old design it will flop
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #133
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Ford has no competitor for the Vette. The Mustang's direct competitor is the Camaro - always has been, and to some extent, the Challenger. The Corvette is essentially in a league of its own as far as American cars are concerned (at least until you get into Viper price range).
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #134
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Excellent observation! I'm surprised the ZL1 was allowed to do the Nurburgring as fast as it did since it humbled many Z06s. The 4th gen Camaro was definitely victim to this malady and wasn't allowed to get close to 350 HP until Corvette got the Z06 at 385 HP. I'm very happy with the performance of my Camaro and if I choose to run faster in a straight line or road course, all it takes is money! I've had 5 Mustangs and 3 Camaros and I loved each...enjoy the power guys, the day is coming!!!
What are you talking about? F-bodies had the same 345hp ls1s as the vettes since 1998, way before the z06 came out
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #135
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAG View Post
This made me .

What's even more sad is the ZL1 gets hit wth a gas guzzler tax and the GT500 with more power doesn't and is rated 24 mpg hwy vs 18/19 of the ZL1. to Ford
I'm sure if I had a 'stang, I'd find some things to complain about too, but I gotta give those Ford engineers props. The GT500 is 600-some HP and it's getting 24 mpgs. That's pretty darn amazing.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #136
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
For a GM man that was quite the blue oval fanboy rant.

Also, let's not forget something. The mustang is both Ford's Camaro and their corvette.
And the Mustang came first and has remained in production, uninterrupted. As a result GM will usually be playing catch up. Camaros are good in their own right and have been some of the best looking cars ever built. That's plenty to enjoy.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #137
samhardy2008

Drives: 2012 3.6 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
Ford has no competitor for the Vette. The Mustang's direct competitor is the Camaro - always has been, and to some extent, the Challenger. The Corvette is essentially in a league of its own as far as American cars are concerned (at least until you get into Viper price range).

what about the ford GT?
samhardy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #138
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhardy2008 View Post
what about the ford GT?
A very limited production car built only in 2005 and 2006 (4038 total). It's American competitor was certainly the 2006+ Corvette Z06. But that was what...6 years ago?
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #139
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
They dont make the GT anymore, hence the reason it wasnt mentioned.

Honestly i dont understand why GM has more then one sports car, and now there is talk about a full size v8 sedan..

I personally dont buy a car for stock numbers... I prefer GM for my performance goals. IF i wasnt a hot rodder I would probably drive a toyota or honda. Reliable good vehicles unlike most of the GM junk lately but I am sure someone will disagree.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #140
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I agree...Personally, I think Ford blew it's chance to compete with the Vette, going all the way back to the 50's...lol...The T-Bird sort of was the candidate to answer the Vette, but Ford couldn't figure out what the T-Bird was supposed to be, and blew the shot at making it their sports car...

I think the Camaro/Mustang thing loses some steam, given that Ford butchered the T-Bird line and never tried to compete with the Vette, and was left with "just" the Mustang and the "Shelby" upgrades.
Yep the tbird went in an entirely different direction for sure.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote