Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Brake pedal squishy/brakes tampered with.

So, this is why I generally like to take my own car into service so I can state what needs to be done and what not to touch.

Thursday: my mom calls me, says that she wants her car detailed and wondered if I can come grab it after work. (She lives about 80 miles one way from me.) I say sure no problem, I’ll just trade her out and let my Camaro sit at her place for a day. I get off work, around 6, went and grabbed it and was back to my place by 10:00. I specifically told her the ABS light is on because of a broken wheel speed sensor so, if you drive it be careful. On my way back I was worrying about my car, but it’s my mom and I trust her. I trust her to the point where I thought hey my car needs an alignment and the people I normally take it to are located where she is at. I call her and tell her hey if you can please take it to the alignment shop tomorrow and have it aligned. I SPECIFICALLY tell her to tell them not to touch my brakes or worry about any lights on the dash, just tell them to align the car. She says okay.

Friday: car gets aligned, she drive it home, nothing to report

Saturday: she drives car to me and switches me out for hers. Tells me that the brake pedal feels funny. And that it feels different then when she dropped it off. Alarm bells are going off in my head. I asked did you tell them not to worry about the dash lights and all that. She says yes, she told them. I get it this evening drive it for approximately 25 miles and can for sure tell that the brake pedal is sponges/squishy and that on the intital press the brakes don’t bite until the very end. I pop the hood and find brake fluid on my master cylinder and all over my master cylinder cap. This tells me that someone had brake fluid on their hand when they tightened the cap. If I pump them twice or three times they feel normal but on that initial press it’s all sorts of messed up. Not to mention where the tech put the wrench he messed up the powdercoat.

I need Suggestions on how to proceed. I don’t have any factual proof that they touched the brakes, but some very strong indicators.

I got my calipers painted back in June and have the invoice from the dealership when they, for $220 dollars mind you, used their special diagnostic tool to bleed the ABS system.

Pictures:
Attached Images

Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.

Last edited by Ashen L99; 10-05-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Check the bleeders on the calipers for leaks , if the pedal is soft its because your loseing fluid or air is getting in
Old 10-03-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
This needs to be addressed by someone you trust. Time to fix that speed sensor and then bleed the system properly. It sounds like somebody tried to do you a "favor" by bleeding your system old school and then when it didn't turn out as planned they thought they could just pretend nothing happened. I know I'm stating the obvious when I say minimize driving this vehicle until all your brake issues are remedied. Hope your E-brake is in good working order.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:08 AM   #4
Ashen L99

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Check the bleeders on the calipers for leaks , if the pedal is soft its because your loseing fluid or air is getting in
Checked and they are all tight. I’m pretty sure air got in the system like Arizona stated.
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:09 AM   #5
Ashen L99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
This needs to be addressed by someone you trust. Time to fix that speed sensor and then bleed the system properly. It sounds like somebody tried to do you a "favor" by bleeding your system old school and then when it didn't turn out as planned they thought they could just pretend nothing happened. I know I'm stating the obvious when I say minimize driving this vehicle until all your brake issues are remedied. Hope your E-brake is in good working order.
Yeah, it will be going to the dealership again for another beak bleeding procedure and I’ll have them order A new sensor. What you stated are my thoughts exactly. A phone call is in order.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im taking this to mean you cant bleed these brakes the old school way,or did someone screw up and leave an air bubble in the system?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
im taking this to mean you cant bleed these brakes the old school way,or did someone screw up and leave an air bubble in the system?
It's hard to bleed the ABS module if air gets in there. Sometimes you can get the air out by braking hard enough to trigger the ABS a few times.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
If you can, just buy a scanner that has the ABS bleed function capability. More lower priced scanners are coming with that feature. In fact, I'd probably do that instead of going back to the stealer and getting ripped off again.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #9
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I used this setup and had excellent results. Now I didn't have air in the system like you may have. But I would check the calipers for any leaks first. Then clean and check around the brake resivoir area for anything suspicious. Definitely clean up any brake fluid if any from painted surfaces by flushing with clean water. You may need to cycle the abs module as mentioned already.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Dude, you saddled your mom with taking your car to the alignment shop? There’s nothing near you? Where you could have monitored the situation? Cool mom but man, you kinda asked for this one in my opinion. Classic air-in-system symptoms to me. You can compress air, not brake fluid.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Why is your master cylinder cap all black? The factory cap has 'DOT 3' on it and some symbols.
Makes me think they installed a junk aftermarket cap on your car for some reason. Maybe that's why the brake fluid is leaking and causing air in the system...

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #12
Ashen L99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Dude, you saddled your mom with taking your car to the alignment shop? There’s nothing near you? Where you could have monitored the situation? Cool mom but man, you kinda asked for this one in my opinion. Classic air-in-system symptoms to me. You can compress air, not brake fluid.
I have had the car serviced there since I bought it... they know who’s car it is. They know me. So when I said hey mom, would you mind dropping it off and to USE MY ACCOUNT, I figured it would go smooth. 5 years of service history there....
Old 10-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Bleeding brakes for a wheel sensor code. ?????
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
how to proceed?

Bleed brakes, replace master cylinder cap.

Buy Mom chocolates and flowers.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote