Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Valve Springs etc

Is there any benefit to having valve springs, retainers etc, all the items that are usually upgraded when doing a cam swap, without swapping the cam?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If the engine was high enough mileage to warrant some refreshing maybe. Stock cam, the OE LS3 blue springs are a good choice. PSI also has some beehives that would work good with the stock cam, and a mild performance cam if you did that some day (PSI 1511).

Maybe pop a cover off and see if you have yellow or blue springs. The blue are better. The blue springs are a great stock spring... but, limited in lift to very close to stock. If you have any inclination of maybe someday putting a mild cam in, could put PSI 1511s in and they will work with both stock or mild performance cam within their lift limit which I believe is around .620". They would work great with a cam in the .570-.600 lift range. A bit overkill for a stock cam but won't hurt anything. You might lose a couple hp going to a slightly stiffer than stock spring, but probably not even noticeable. That PSI beehive has been used forever in endurance racing , I know Katech uses it and sells it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
You can replace springs if over 65,000 miles anyway. By installing new valve springs, it will give sharper acceleration and increase rpm by 200-300.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I highly recommend upgrading valvetrain parts when doing a camshaft swap. Most Camshafts will have a required, accompanying valve spring.
And it's worth upgrading while you have the engine opened up. I wish I had upgraded more parts in mine while doing the camshaft swap. At a minimum I recommend springs, and pushrods.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
A good trunnion kit never hurts. Needle bearings broke in engine=Bad news
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Thanks fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote