Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: V8 or V6TT
V8 265 83.33%
V6TT 53 16.67%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #29
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I think a V8 would be cool if it was actually DOHC and you could get extreme VVT gains out of it. But no, an instant-torque boosted V6 will outstrip the V8 model by lengths. Yes, you could modify the V8 "further" but you could always just up the fuel and boost and, again, whoop V8s.

Plus the TTV6 would get killer mileage.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #30
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
V8...because you could always add to it later.

because there's no extra heat from two turbos.

because there's less to have problems with down the road than a main V8.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 AM   #31
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I think a V8 would be cool if it was actually DOHC and you could get extreme VVT gains out of it. But no, an instant-torque boosted V6 will outstrip the V8 model by lengths. Yes, you could modify the V8 "further" but you could always just up the fuel and boost and, again, whoop V8s.

Plus the TTV6 would get killer mileage.
If that was the case, the LF3 would get better mileage than the LS3 but it doesn't. I doubt a TTV6 would beat the LT1 in power, torque and mileage.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #32
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
All due respect, but I think you're comparing different vehicles with different engines for your mileage claims. I remember an article that popped up stating the GM engineers tested the LF3 in the C7 (for a cheaper base model) and could not get better gas mileage than the LT1. And the LT1 is rated for 29 highway, as you know.

The TTV6 guys on this forum could always be asked for their gas mileage. I know that my 6 gets over 30 on the highway and I know of a few centrifugal supercharged V6 guys that consistently get the same.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #33
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
This would be a tough choice for me. LT1 versus LF3.....if you had to keep them completely stock it would likely be the LT1 for me, and that is mostly because of the sound of the V8. Its just a heavenly sound that puts a stupid grin on your face.

That is likely the only reason I'd get the LT1 over the LF3....sound.

That said, with nothing more than a tune on both, I think the LF3 V6 would be slightly faster than the LT1.

Dynos on an otherwise stock CTS V-Sports already seem to indicate that the LF3 may be slightly underrated. Throw a tune on it and suddenly you have nearly 400rwhp, and nearly 450rwtq or more. So in my opinion, when you don't have a bunch of money to spend on mods, but want the best bang for your buck...the LF3 is the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banter View Post
V8 > TTV6 all day. Sure the TT V6 is easier to tap for more power because it already has boost but nothing beats the sound and the power curve (have you seen the stock LT1 torque curve? it's a work of art) of a V8.
Yes the LT1 is an impressive engine...I love it. But the torque curve on the LF3 is equally as impressive in my opinion....and when tuned even the mighty LT1 will not match the low - mid range torque of the LF3. On the high end, the LT1 overtakes it since the smaller turbos on the LF3 are running out of steam at that point.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
I've always been a V8 guy and would only choose a TTV6 if it was AWD. All my V8's I've punished for well over 100,000 miles and sold them in good running condition.

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I prefer a V8. But depending on price and performance considerations...I could be swayed to buy the TTV6...
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #36
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I personally would like to see 4 engine choices for a 2016 F body.

2.0T LTG that makes about 300HP/300TQ. This would be the base model.

TT 3.6 LF3 420HP/430TQ. This would be a upgrade over base model.

6.2 LT1 460HP/465TQ for the SS model.

6.2 LT4 625HP/635TQ for the ZL1.

One thing to remember guys is if the car gets put on the ATS platform(which it better) there should be no reason why the SS should be over 3600lbs, with the base model not exceeding 3400lbs. Should make for some fun cars that would still be really fuel efficient. I think with the above engine choices built on ATS platforms the Camaro would certainly reign supreme over the competition.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #37
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I hope there is a 6th gen zl1.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
X2

The only way I'm coming out of my ZL is into one that handles better, has more power and is faster than what I'm driving.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I personally would like to see 4 engine choices for a 2016 F body.

2.0T LTG that makes about 300HP/300TQ. This would be the base model.

TT 3.6 LF3 420HP/430TQ. This would be a upgrade over base model.

6.2 LT1 460HP/465TQ for the SS model.

6.2 LT4 625HP/635TQ for the ZL1.

One thing to remember guys is if the car gets put on the ATS platform(which it better) there should be no reason why the SS should be over 3600lbs, with the base model not exceeding 3400lbs. Should make for some fun cars that would still be really fuel efficient. I think with the above engine choices built on ATS platforms the Camaro would certainly reign supreme over the competition.
I completely agree with what you say about the alpha chasis. I think the new Mustang is probably going to be a sweet performing car, but I also think the next gen Camaro on alpha will be just as light (or lighter) and just as good of a handler as so far the ATS gets rave reviews for handling.

The one problem I see above is that I don't think there is any way they will offer a TTV6 and the LT1 V8. The cost is just too similar and the power too similar for it to make sense in my mind...heck the TTV6 may actually cost more than the LT1 and at stock power, makes less power so then it really doesn't make sense.

Not saying it isn't possible that we will see a TTV6 in the next gen at some point, but what I'm hoping for is

Turbo 4 - 260 - 290 HP / 280 -310 TQ.
n/a V6 (LGX?)- 345+ HP/290+ TQ
LT1 V8 - 450+ HP/ 450TQ
LT4 SC V8 - 600+ HP / 600+ TQ

If GM pushes the power further on the turbo 4, then I think that may not leave room for a V6, unless they go Ford's route and don't offer a new/improved V6 and instead make the V6 the base and the turbo 4 the optional engine. (hope not)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #39
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I completely agree with what you say about the alpha chasis. I think the new Mustang is probably going to be a sweet performing car, but I also think the next gen Camaro on alpha will be just as light (or lighter) and just as good of a handler as so far the ATS gets rave reviews for handling.

The one problem I see above is that I don't think there is any way they will offer a TTV6 and the LT1 V8. The cost is just too similar and the power too similar for it to make sense in my mind...heck the TTV6 may actually cost more than the LT1 and at stock power, makes less power so then it really doesn't make sense.

Not saying it isn't possible that we will see a TTV6 in the next gen at some point, but what I'm hoping for is

Turbo 4 - 260 - 290 HP / 280 -310 TQ.
n/a V6 (LGX?)- 345+ HP/290+ TQ
LT1 V8 - 450+ HP/ 450TQ
LT4 SC V8 - 600+ HP / 600+ TQ

If GM pushes the power further on the turbo 4, then I think that may not leave room for a V6, unless they go Ford's route and don't offer a new/improved V6 and instead make the V6 the base and the turbo 4 the optional engine. (hope not)
If the LF3 does cost just as much as a LT1 to make then yes there will be 0 reason for it to be in a 6 th gen at any trim level. Some of you guys want it for the power it could make with bolt ons. Well the new LT1 makes 35RWHP from just a tune so a LF3 would have to make nearly 75RWHP from a tune to just break even with a LT1 and even then it will never sound like a v8. The low end torque of a LT1 is very impressive as well. Just look at a dyno curve. It also responds very well from lt headers. It would have a single cam change rather than 4. There is no scenario that I see where a 6th gen would benefit from a Lf3 rather than a LT1. Maybe weight but even then it can't be all that much.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #40
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Twin turbo is sick, more so with AWD.

Still, I guess I am a purist, or what not, but the character of this car and the history has been the fabled V-8. The legendary small block V-8 with push rods, I mean strip that away and is it really a Camaro? Things evolve and change and as I get older I see it more all the time. Progress? Depends on definition.

Can a GM TT V-6 out gun an import doing the same? No. It can try it for less no doubt and gain plenty of support. Multi-valve and overhead cams? Sure, but why buy a Camaro? All this "new" tech exists and has for some time. You can buy one tomorrow in lots of models.

I am not against performance, efficiency, and bottom line numbers (drag strip/road course/etc). I just believe in my heart the Camaro (and the Corvette) are singular American icons. They not only stand for something, they ARE something. Maybe it's not tangible. Maybe I cannot express it well here in writing. Maybe only us in the older than 35 bracket even know what I am talking about. Maybe I am an idiot, distinct possibility!

Very glad my 2014 Camaro is in process. A dream car for me, one I always wanted.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #41
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
V8. There Is NO other option!

While a TTV6 may have more horse, it's just about topped out in HP. A few bolt ons and you'll surpass a V6 with ease.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #42
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
V8. There Is NO other option!

While a TTV6 may have more horse, it's just about topped out in HP. A few bolt ons and you'll surpass a V6 with ease.
Not even close to topped out. They are getting the caddys above 400 rwhp just with a tune.

Sent from my Samsung via Tapatalk.

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation