Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #57
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
You're forgetting one thing here though, gearing.

The transmission and rear end ratios in the Mustang make much better use of the power it has available. Take a look at the actual torque per gear chart for both cars now.

All in all I don't see the weight reduction many of you are hoping for coming to fruition. The Mustang crowd thought it'd happen with the 2015 and it ended up weighing more. Each has to update for new safety requirements and that adds up quickly. In the end the new Camaro will most likely end up weighing the same but sport added power.
I didn't forget about gearing...I just didn't mention it. If GM wants to gear the Camaro higher than the Mustang and it end up being slower for that reason only...well thats a dumb move. I expect similar gearing options to the new Mustang.

As on weight, I don't think hoping for a lighter Camaro is as big of a stretch as it was with the Mustang. The Mustang is basically the same size, and added IRS, new saftety equipment, a stiffer chassis, and larger brakes.

The Camaro is not adding IRS, or brembos as those are already standard. There is of course possibly new crash/safety standards, but they are already starting on a proven modern platform. The Alpha platform that has already shown to be lighter than previous gen when you compare vehicles its being used in. Take for instance the new 2014 CTS on Alpha bases at 3,616 lbs, versus the 2013 model which based at over 3,800 lbs, and the new one actually grew in size a bit as well. The 2014 CTS V-Sport with the turbo V6 is the heaviest at over 3,900 lbs, where as the 2013 model was over 4,000 when you added in more options.

So based on that alone, if the Camaro does not change in size at all, it should drop a little weight.

Now there is evidence that the Camaro may shrink, and if so, that pretty much all buy guarantees a weight loss in my opinion.

So that said, I don't think we are setting ourselves up for dissapointment similar to the new Mustang when it comes to weight.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #58
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I didn't forget about gearing...I just didn't mention it. If GM wants to gear the Camaro higher than the Mustang and it end up being slower for that reason only...well thats a dumb move. I expect similar gearing options to the new Mustang.

As on weight, I don't think hoping for a lighter Camaro is as big of a stretch as it was with the Mustang. The Mustang is basically the same size, and added IRS, new saftety equipment, a stiffer chassis, and larger brakes.

The Camaro is not adding IRS, or brembos as those are already standard. There is of course possibly new crash/safety standards, but they are already starting on a proven modern platform. The Alpha platform that has already shown to be lighter than previous gen when you compare vehicles its being used in. Take for instance the new 2014 CTS on Alpha bases at 3,616 lbs, versus the 2013 model which based at over 3,800 lbs, and the new one actually grew in size a bit as well. The 2014 CTS V-Sport with the turbo V6 is the heaviest at over 3,900 lbs, where as the 2013 model was over 4,000 when you added in more options.

So based on that alone, if the Camaro does not change in size at all, it should drop a little weight.

Now there is evidence that the Camaro may shrink, and if so, that pretty much all buy guarantees a weight loss in my opinion.

So that said, I don't think we are setting ourselves up for dissapointment similar to the new Mustang when it comes to weight.
Actually, I would expect an 8L60 and 8L80 for the V6 and SS models, with nothing higher than a 2.92 rear end ratio. The Corvette with the TR6070 already has a 2.56 and does 0-60 in first gear... I'd assume the Camaro will have the gearing advantage.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #59
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Actually, I would expect an 8L60 and 8L80 for the V6 and SS models, with nothing higher than a 2.92 rear end ratio. The Corvette with the TR6070 already has a 2.56 and does 0-60 in first gear... I'd assume the Camaro will have the gearing advantage.
Right on, and another reason I didn't mention gearing ratios...because with new transmissions today having 8+ speeds, it changes what the end ratio really needs to be to have a good performance/efficency balance.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #60
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I expect the camaro to lose some weight, I don't think it will be as drastic as some people in here think though.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #61
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
I assumed the GT would gain around 100 lbs or so, but not 2 - 3 hundred. That would be a bit of a shocker.

There is a thread on this topic now on Mustang6G and its grown to 13+ pages since the story was posted earlier today. Needless to say they are in a tissy over the news. Maybe none of it is true????

Vader is correct...I see no reason the next Camaro SS if built on Alpha at ATS like dimensions can't come in at or under 3,700 lbs. Heck...the BASE 4 cylinder ATS is under 3,400 lbs. The V6 is around 3,450 - 3,500 lbs. So to me, a V8 equipped version should be doable at 3,650 lbs.

It just came out in the news the other day, the 2015 Mustang GT will gain 85lbs over the previous model....Not the porker you were hoping for
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #62
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
It just came out in the news the other day, the 2015 Mustang GT will gain 85lbs over the previous model....Not the porker you were hoping for
Yep, followed the whole thing closely.

As said in the quote I always assumed it would be about the same or gain up to 100 lbs. When they said up to 300 lbs I was shocked, but never believed it.

Guess I was right.

The early rumors said the Mustang would LOSE weight...which it did not. I even said there was no way GM would catch Ford in the weight department if the Mustang lost weight. But now that the Mustang has gained, I think GM can match or maybe even do better.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #63
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Ford still hasn't officially released the curb weight on the '15. A supposed leaked document doesn't mean it's true.

It's kinda fascinating how serious this rivalry is.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #64
EOD_Tech Infidel

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post

2.56 is a base model corvette 6l80 rear end ratio
2.72 for z51/Grand Sport
3.27 in the current Gen 5 Camaro 6l80
TR6070 in the '14 stingray corvette is 3.42 gears

IMO Gearing in the Camaro will be similar to current gen so acceleration is similar in performance due to the higher weight than the Vette.
EOD_Tech Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #65
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
Ford still hasn't officially released the curb weight on the '15. A supposed leaked document doesn't mean it's true.

It's kinda fascinating how serious this rivalry is.

Yea Camaro & Mustang owners is like mixing oil & water. At some point a fist fight is gonna break out

Ive owned both, I love both. I consider both to equal in my mind. The Mustang does some things better than the Camaro and vice versa.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #66
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

The chance of GM gearing the Camaro similarly to the Mustang is pretty slim. And it doesn't matter what current body work on the same platform has done. The Camaro will obviously not share body work so it's impossible to state whether or not there will be a significant weight loss.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #67
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
The 2014 base 4 door Cadillac ATS weighs 3315lb at the curb.

I'd say a 3600lb V8 Camaro is viable.

Wait, isn't that what my 2000 SS Camaro M6 weighed without the spare tire?
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.

Last edited by McRat; 06-20-2014 at 08:21 PM.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #68
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The 2015 base Cadillac ATS weighs 3373lb at the curb.

I'd say a 3600lb V8 Camaro is viable.

Wait, isn't that what my 2000 SS Camaro M6 weighed without the spare tire?
You aren't honestly trying to compare a 4th gen F body to the next gen Alpha based Camaro, are you?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #69
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcas View Post
Also new government safety standards will add a lot of weight. Will be very difficult keeping weight on any vehicle. Even backup cameras are going to be government mandated on all cars from now on.
What mandated backup camaras ! LOL..... ppl are getting lazy! What happen to. taking the time to look over your shoulder! This world is scary!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #70
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
What mandated backup camaras ! LOL..... ppl are getting lazy! What happen to. taking the time to look over your shoulder!
Hey, I hear ya. As a rule, I'm against these sorts of government mandates too, but I think that few would argue that the current Camaro is the most lookin-over-your-shoulder-friendly car out there. This car has a lot of virtues, but great rear visibility isn't among them. In other words, if there are any cars out there that will become a bit safer due to this mandate, I suspect the Camaro is probably among them.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation