Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
kkriskal

Drives: 2018 2SS Triple Black Performance
Blizzard, Snow, Black Ice, Sleet, Snowy Mountains, Blowing/Blindin Snow - Never Again

Hello Friends,

I had to travel to Portland OR for personal reasons. My daughter and I checked the route, weather, road conditions etc. and finalized a window when it was clear, (apart from just some rain and stuff around 42 F) during the duration of our trip (now I know it was supposed to be clear and just a prediction). This trip was from Colorado Springs, CO To Portland, OR (close to 1400 miles).

Left Colorado springs, clear all the way past Denver on I-25, then turn in to I-80 entering Wyoming, drive for a mile or so, first flashing signs, " Blowing Snow, Blizzard, Black Ice, Slow Down and use caution"). I am like what???? My car is just one month old so never got around to changing tires, still running performance tires. And guess what, every bit of what that sign said, HAPPENED. Slipping, crawling, then slipping again, then crawling again and a whole lot of Prayers, This went on for hours, we were tensed like crazy and then my daughter who was with me, said, Daddy, I just checked the weather again, we cross Wyoming somehow, we will be fine. Since I was driving so slow with hazard lights on, it took us forever to cross Wyoming. Entered Utah, what a relief, or so I thought, we got flashing sign board with this welcome when we entered Utah "Black Ice, dangerous conditions, use caution". I was like, is there anyway we can go back or can this all be just a bad dream. Same story, same bad conditions, finally got out of Utah. Entered Idaho, AGAIN, similar snow, sleet, slush, Ice, you name it, it was there.

Crossed Idaho and finally entered Oregon. What a relief, the roads were clear, sky was overcast but no snow or rain. I was like finally this is over, thank god. So we are driving peacefully and finally relaxing and enjoying the drive with music. Then we reach the beautiful "Cascade Range", miles and miles of amazing winding, curvy, up and down mountain pass, it also has something called the "Deadman's Pass". So now the beautiful eager wait to get there was soon welcomed with nightmare called "Blizzard". Check out the pics, it turned out to be miles and miles of worst driving conditions even for the toughest AWD vehicles. I was so nervous throughout this range of slopes and inclines filled with snow, ice and sleet that I couldn't feel my throat or even get words out, that's how dry it got. God know how the car was even moving in this place and how we got out alive and not end up in a ditch or skid of the mountain. Again, you all can imagine how it would have been with the stock summer only tires I have.

Once we got out of the area, it was some icy patches until we crossed Cascade locks and then finally just rain for the last 80 miles of my 1421 mile drive. Never thought I would be so glad to drive in rain.

I have just few things to say. Thank you God for keeping us alive and I would Never try to do something so stupid again.

Have no idea how those tires were able to grip even this much (I keep saying this because I am still not able to get over it). Anyway, never again for sure. Just wanted to share this crazy experience. My daughter took the pics, I was too nervous to even take my hands off the steering.

I am now at Portland and we are exploring an alternate route probably via Sacramento and Grand Junction so we stay as south as possible.
Attached Images

kkriskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Damn, no chains or anything? That’s nuts. Glad you made it
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Buy a set of blizzaks tomorrow and ship the oem tires home.

You made a mistake, which wans’t stupid if you learned from it.

Doing it twice would be stupid, since you learned but then chose to ignore the risk the second time.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Yea that snow storm doubled are snow total here in Utah for this season. I drive mine in the winter on blizzaks. Can't even imagine driving in the snow on stock tires.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | TSP 1 7/8" Catted Headers | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Snow and ice on summer tires is treacherous. I had a brand new 2010 WRX I bought with summer tires in New England and we had a few inches of snow and I thought wow I get to try out how capable the car is with AWD. Well it was plain horrible- i nearly lost it going down a steep hill on a back road to my house. The AWD did nothing with the summer tires. Winter snow and ice tires make a HUGE difference. If you live or have to drive in snow and ice weather like this, get snow tires or at the very least have all season tires one your car.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkriskal View Post
My car is just one month old so never got around to changing tires, still running performance tires.
Wow, glad you made it safely. That is a crazy, scary story!
I would think buying a car in Colorado in December that the dealer would at least warn you about summer tires, or offer the option to swap out to something safer to drive off the lot. Probably very naive on my part to think they would give a crap.
Assuming you bought locally, there were nights in December where the manual clearly indicates you should not drive on those tires:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #7
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Lesson learned for sure! Be safe out there. Equip your ride with the proper equipment for the conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Scary for sure & glad you both made it safely. Yes, beautiful roads in the Cascade, try it again in the late Spring or Summer. Someone mentioned buying show tires & shipping your summer tires back home. Not a bad idea, no sales tax in Oregon!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
OP,
What made you think that you could make that trip on your stock tires at this time of the year?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
I live in Illinois, which is flat prairies. Traveled through western NV about 10 yrs ago in April thinking it was spring so no worries. Checked the weather & nothing was mentioned. However, it started dumping snow & everything else. Driving in to clouds or what ever made me realize that mountains only look good in photos & possibly July in person.

As far as your Grand Junction idea. 70 across CO is not exactly a cake walk & you would still have to cross Vail Pass.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by '01LS1 View Post
I-70 across CO is not exactly a cake walk & you would still have to cross Vail Pass.
Agree. But I-70 through Glenwood Canyon is a spectacular drive, provided you avoid the occasional pebble:
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
There is no easy way back. I put over 100k miles a year on these roads, and bad weather is a near constant this time of year in the Cascades, Blue Mountains, Sierra Nevadas, Wasatch Range, and Rockies. I use the free apps Quickmap and My Radar to plan my trips. The poster who recommended changing tires is spot-on. Well worth the investment. You'll need them again since Colorado is your home.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
SLO

Drives: Slo'ly
I live towards DIA, on your drive back, if you have any issues, let me know. Im willing to rent a car trailer (at your expense) and drive up to Wyoming to fetch you with my Silverado. Don't take chances....glad you and daughter are ok but you may not be so lucky next time. I will not accept payment for myself, just would want a trailer rental reimbursed.
SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Sboston4

Drives: '17 LT Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
I live towards DIA, on your drive back, if you have any issues, let me know. Im willing to rent a car trailer (at your expense) and drive up to Wyoming to fetch you with my Silverado. Don't take chances....glad you and daughter are ok but you may not be so lucky next time. I will not accept payment for myself, just would want a trailer rental reimbursed.
And that friends is why this is such a great forum and a great Camaro family to be a part of. Everyone helping each other out.

Hats off to a great person making a sacrifice to help another Camaro owner.