Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #29
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Looks good Joe!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #30
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Thanks swiz! Howve u been? been to darlington lately?
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #31
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I understand the shine part (may even try it); but wouldn't you guys rather remove the swirl marks and scratches instead of just filling them? Most of them are self-inflicted and can be prevented with proper paint care and prep.

I do like this reviewer's comment:

Quote:
"This is take-control-of-your-life-wax. Punish-your-kid-wax. Spend-enough-time-with-the-car-that-the-wife-leaves-you-wax. This stuff smells like napalm and probably kills brain cells. But good God will it give your car a protective shine like none other."
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
[QUOTE=DrkPhx;7388412]I understand the shine part (may even try it); but wouldn't you guys rather remove the swirl marks and scratches instead of just filling them? Most of them are self-inflicted and can be prevented with proper paint care and prep.

This is the approach I take. With the above said, I could not agree more. , compounded with the porter cable through different cuts,

1. wash the car very thoroughly getting all bugs and road tar crap off first

2. strip all wax off.

3. Used a Clay bar,

4. Used a porter cable with compound's of various cuts to remove swirl Marks and light scratch's

5. Use a high grade polish to bring out the shine with a porter cable

5. Then use a wax or some thing of your choice to seal all this work in. Two coats with a porter cable.

This is a lot of work. but it is the correct way of doing this and the results speak for them self's. Do this to your car boyz, and your jaw will drop.

Here is mine a 45th SS (Dark Color here)

knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
I think also a good amount of scratching comes from washing the car, moreso on they drying of. For the past few years I've used a decent foamer (Gilmore) on the wash with a DIC20 filtering system BUT the saver is the MetroBlaster to air-dry the car.... Honestly makes a huge difference just as the sealant/wax used.

The Collinite I've yet to try, been playing with the Zaino stuff (Z2) most recently. I'm all for a great sealant or wax. (Is the 845 a wax or sealant?)
This. I also think that an electric leaf blower does a good job. The MetroBlaster is exceptional with the warm air it delivers but it's hard to beat a leaf blower for 50 bucks.

Either way it's typically improper washing and drying that leads to swirl marks.

If you guys want to invest in one thing to minimize swirls/scratches go to carpro's web site and invest in Mircobiber Madness towels they can't be beat! They make a drying towel called Dry me Crazy and it is the softest most absorbent thing I have ever tried.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #34
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
Thanks swiz! Howve u been? been to darlington lately?

I haven't been in a while. I need to get over there and try out these Pilot Super Sports. I've also added headers and a ported LS7 throttle body.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #35
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Not a good cleaner, but is a great, long lasting wax. Only wax I use.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #36
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I have used Collinite Waxes for almost a decade - we carry the entire line up here : Collinite Waxes - AutopiaCarCare

If you want to get a deep, ripping shine (vs. the bright shine that 845/476s produces) go with Collinite Marque D'Elegance 915!!!

It is a little harder to use (you may have to wipe down the car with a damp towel to get ride of any streaks) but it really creates a rich, warm carnauba shine and will last 4-6 months. The water beading is incredible.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #37
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I'm glad you guys are having such great luck with Collinite Waxes... me? Not so much.

I dunno if I might have been sold a defective bottle or what; but every time I used Colly 845, my results lasted less than 3 weeks. By week 3, the beading was completely gone, and I am 100% certain I followed the directions. I dunno if it's because I wiped it off too early or if it's because my car was covered in too much contamination for it to bond properly (I can't freakin' clay every damn 2 months), but it just wouldn't last for me.

Using Blackfire BlackIce right now and the beading actually lasts for over a month and starts to fizzle out after a month and a half, which I can tolerate since I try to put a layer on every month anyway. (Outside kept DD in South Florida here!) No complaints from me: better protection than what I personally experienced w/ Colly, not to mention better aesthetics since the finish BlackIce leaves on a black car is orgasmic.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #38
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have used collinite 845 and 476 and love them. I have yet to use them on my current camaro which is black. the 476 is what I use as my winter wax and it really holds up. they are a hybrid; part carnuba part sealant. you can see the carnuba in it but it applies and works like a sealant.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote