Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-18-2024, 04:01 AM   #1
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Exhaust Install Question

Hopefully someone here has been in this situation, but I'm getting ready to remove my AWE exhaust and replace it with a Corsa Axle back exhaust. The AWE exhaust doesn't use valves so I remember removing the OEM valve control motors from the stock exhaust since they weren't used. Now that the Corsa exhaust has valves, the install instructions state:

Locate the muffler and the valve control unit removed from the stock muffler. Orient valve to match the rotation of the valve control unit as it was when removed from stock exhaust.

Since I have no idea what the orientation of the valve control units were when I removed them from the stock exhaust, is this going to give me any problems installing them on the Corsa exhaust or is it much simpler than this and am I overthinking this process?
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:32 AM   #2
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Pretty sure they only attach one way, been a while since I swapped the ones on my '17 so many years ago, but I don't think you can mess it up...

That said, you could probably figure it out but just attaching the control unit to the muffler and toggle'ing it in the car and watching it. On a lift it might be tricky, but still doable?

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:46 AM   #3
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Pretty sure they only attach one way, been a while since I swapped the ones on my '17 so many years ago, but I don't think you can mess it up...

That said, you could probably figure it out but just attaching the control unit to the muffler and toggle'ing it in the car and watching it. On a lift it might be tricky, but still doable?
Thanks man, I feel like it should be self explanatory but when the instructions state to specifically mark the position, I was second guessing how self explanatory it might be. I remember swapping them on my C8 Stingray but that was 2 1/2 years ago. I just remember thinking at that time it was pretty straight forward and all that nonsense about remembering their position was pretty irrelevant.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:48 AM   #4
Bearded_Seamonkey

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
I don't have any input to help you out...sorry. But I would like to get your opinion on how the corsa is in comparison to the AWE. Why are you switching? And if you wouldn't mind giving a review on the differences as you drive the corsa. Thanks!
2000 Corvette
Bearded_Seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:23 AM   #5
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seamonkey View Post
I don't have any input to help you out...sorry. But I would like to get your opinion on how the corsa is in comparison to the AWE. Why are you switching? And if you wouldn't mind giving a review on the differences as you drive the corsa. Thanks!
I would also like to hear a comparison video on the Corsa if you could.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:36 AM   #6
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seamonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I would also like to hear a comparison video on the Corsa if you could.
I can report back on the change. Honestly, I'm not doing it because I want a better sound. In my opinion, the AWE exhaust sounds very good. Its just that I've had this setup for 3 1/2 years now and honestly as I'm getting older, I think I just want something quieter. With no valves in the AWE exhaust, 2" headers and high flow cats, its quite loud. I just want to ability to make the car quieter when I want it to be. I'm honestly surprised my neighbors haven't come at me with pitchforks by now. Looking at the designs of the valved axle backs available, I like what Corsa has done with with theirs and prefer the black tips option even though I will surely miss the 4.5" AWE tips, no one has tips that look as good as AWE.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:19 AM   #7
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Was your AWE a catback system?
Old 04-18-2024, 07:29 AM   #8
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Was your AWE a catback system?
Yes, which brings me to another issue, I'm hopeful I'll be able to swap the axle back Corsa system and connect it to the AWE X Pipe. I don't want to have to buy a Corsa X Pipe to connect it if I can help it. I won't know for sure until I get the Corsa system tomorrow and get the car up on a lift to see if it will bolt on.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:08 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
They only go on one way, so you should be good. But you could always key the car on with the valves plugged in and not installed to make sure they default to the correct position then install them.

You should be fine on the X pipe. I have my Corsa axle back bolted up to a Borla 60608 resonated X pipe and it all fit perfect.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:36 AM   #10
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
They only go on one way, so you should be good. But you could always key the car on with the valves plugged in and not installed to make sure they default to the correct position then install them.

You should be fine on the X pipe. I have my Corsa axle back bolted up to a Borla 60608 resonated X pipe and it all fit perfect.
Awesome, thanks! Would it matter which exhaust setting they were in, Stealth, Tour, Sport, Track?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:42 AM   #11
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Awesome, thanks! Would it matter which exhaust setting they were in, Stealth, Tour, Sport, Track?
What I found when doing mine was:

I think once you shut the car off, the valves go back to the default position. Thus when I start my car, it defaults in touring mode (as the default)?

So, I'd think the valves are in touring mode when no voltage is being pushed to them, the car starts up in touring mode?
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:48 AM   #12
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
What I found when doing mine was:

I think once you shut the car off, the valves go back to the default position. Thus when I start my car, it defaults in touring mode (as the default)?

So, I'd think the valves are in touring mode when no voltage is being pushed to them, the car starts up in touring mode?
I would think if you select Stealth mode, the valves would stay in that position when you shut it off since some people prefer Stealth startup. I know when I selected Tour or Sport mode in the mode selection, the car will stay in those modes after its shut down, Track mode will default back to Tour mode though if its shut down in Track mode. Not sure if any of this actually applies to the exhaust valves though.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:58 AM   #13
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I would think if you select Stealth mode, the valves would stay in that position when you shut it off since some people prefer Stealth startup. I know when I selected Tour or Sport mode in the mode selection, the car will stay in those modes after its shut down, Track mode will default back to Tour mode though if its shut down in Track mode. Not sure if any of this actually applies to the exhaust valves though.
Thanks for pointing this out. I never use "Stealth Mode", only what's selectable via the mode button. So mine just defaulted at shut off back to touring.
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:59 AM   #14
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Another question to ask is when you switch from one catback to another (different brands) is the "cut" you made for the original going to work with the new?