Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Break-In: Per the Manual

There was some discussion in another forum/thread about properly break-in for your new Camaro. Thought I'd post this, straight out of the manual, page 9-16. Take it or leave it, but the manual says...

Starting and Operating
New Vehicle Break-In

Notice: Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run.

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):

Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.

Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.

Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow. Do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph).

Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4,000 rpm.

Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.

Do not participate in racing events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break-in period.

Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).

To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi). New tires do not have maximum traction and may tend to slip.

New brake linings also need a break-in period. Avoid making hard stops during the first 322 km (200 mi). This
is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.

Should the vehicle be used for racing or competitive driving (after break-in), the rear axle lubricant must be replaced before hand.

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I am not following this; I am following Tracy's (SC2150) recommendation for break in. The engine needs to be broken in hard, not soft for optimum performance.

I've already:
1- Switched to conventional oil for the 1st 100 mile break in
2- Switched back to synthetic after 100
3- had a few WOT.

Here is a decent link about the subject:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194141
Old 12-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
What if you accidentally exceed 4k rpm a few times?
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
What if you accidentally exceed 4k rpm a few times?
Nothing, if anything it's better for the engine.

Felix - Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I am not following this; I am following Tracy's (SC2150) recommendation for break in. The engine needs to be broken in hard, not soft for optimum performance.

I've already:
1- Switched to conventional oil for the 1st 100 mile break in
2- Switched back to synthetic after 100
3- had a few WOT.

Here is a decent link about the subject:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194141
+1

The "recommend" break-in was written by lawyers, not mechanics.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
It doesn't make sense if you really read into it. If the rings have not seated by 200 miles why would 1500 make it better? I thought they did a pre break in at the factory otherwise there would be a bunch of toasted engines already? No abrupt stops? Just run into the back of the person in front of you. Tell the officer that the "break in instructions said "no abrupt stops"! How else do you bed the pads and season the rotors on the ZL1 so it will stop under a panic situation? I'll bet the lawyers will change that one? Do not exceeed 80 mph, drive here in So Cal you have to be at 70 to get on the damn freeway! I have owned several vehicles with high horsepower and excellent brakes on them and I have never heard of a 1500 mile break in period?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
DefiantXSoldier

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
I'll be doing a hard break in

Sent from Tapatalk App
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #8
Jinxsters

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro
Wow, I did a few crazy things with my V6 and was worried badly because it told me not go over 4K RPM and 80 MPH. I was all worried. Now you guys are like don't drive it like lil miss daisy. I'm so confused.
Jinxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Interesting theories. Drive it like Miss D or go John Force?

Decisions decisions... Lol
Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I have to laugh every time I see this subject debated by shade tree mechanics who are just certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that they know better than the manufacturer. I work for a manufacturer in another field and we get the same thing all the time. Believe me, we have your (and our product's) best interests at heart when we tell you what you can and cannot do with our product. All I can say is, good luck with your warranty claim when your onboard computer tells GM exactly how fast and how many revs you gave it with how many miles.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
There was some discussion in another forum/thread about properly break-in for your new Camaro. Thought I'd post this, straight out of the manual, page 9-16. Take it or leave it, but the manual says...

Starting and Operating
New Vehicle Break-In

Notice: Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run.

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):

Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.

Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.

Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow. Do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph).

Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4,000 rpm.

Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.

Do not participate in racing events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break-in period.

Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).

To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi). New tires do not have maximum traction and may tend to slip.

New brake linings also need a break-in period. Avoid making hard stops during the first 322 km (200 mi). This
is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.

Should the vehicle be used for racing or competitive driving (after break-in), the rear axle lubricant must be replaced before hand.
Guilty on all counts......
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Has anyone really ever been denied drive train warranty for not having followed these "Recommended Guidelines" ?
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Has anyone really ever been denied drive train warranty for not having followed these "Recommended Guidelines" ?

I've never heard of it happening.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Baer383

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray
I broke in my rings and @ 300 miles tore it down to the short block and built it back up from there and got 754 rwhp.

Not bad for not using GM's break in.

MODS, a lot of money,a lot of parts,a lot of time,a lot of patience.

754 RWHP 747 RWTQ 93 Octane

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347243

Last edited by Baer383; 09-02-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote