Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Camaro Catches on Fire!

Just saw this on the local news station and thought I would share. http://www.kcci.com/news/driver-char...sh/28066770DES MOINES, Iowa —A Des Moines auto dealer is facing multiple charges after a crash on I-235 Saturday night and then later an OWI charge in a different town.Steven Luebke, 57, of Grimes, was charged in Des Moines with driving without a license, reckless driving, failure to maintain control and parole violations. He was also charged in Prairie City with OWI.CRASH ON I-235:The crash on Interstate 235 was reported near Second Avenue about 5:43 p.m. Saturday.According to a police report, a red 2010 Camaro with auto dealer license plates was first reported driving down Southeast 14th Street. Witnesses told police the driver was out of control spinning tires at every light and racing down street."The car was being driven so hard that it started on fire as the driver was getting onto I-235," according to the report. With smoke filling the car, the driver lost control, it hit the center median and burst into flames.The driver who was wearing a black suit got out of the burning car and jumped into another car and left scene, according to police witnesses. The man who picked up driver, Cameron Boone, later called police dispatchers to report he was the driver who picked up the man and took him to a home in Grimes. He said he was trying to help but looking back he should not have given the guy the ride.Police found the crashed car on I-235 was facing eastbound in the westbound lanes next to the median with the front end on fire. The arriving officer reported that he got close enough to see if someone was still inside the vehicle, but had to step back when a small explosion happened.A second crash was reported when cars near the first crash scene collided due to the smoke from the crash.OWI CHARGE ON SAME DAY:Prairie City police have confirmed to KCCI that Luebke was arrested and charged with OWI Saturday night at the Casey’s in Prairie City.After the crash on the freeway in Des Moines, police said Luebke went to Deery Brothers and took a black SUV. That's the vehicle he was stopped in in Prairie City.ARRESTED ON SUNDAY:On Sunday, police arrested Luebke and charged in connection with the I-235 crash. He was charged with driving without a license, reckless driving, failure to maintain control, and parole violations.An officer investigating the case said one of Luebke's neighbors hold him "that Steven had just returned to the home and that he was so intoxicated that he had to help carry Steven into the house."Officers gained access to Luebke's home after he did not answer the door. According to the police report, officers found Luebke passed out in an upstairs bedroom. He was arrested and taken to the Polk County Jail.PAST RECORD:Luebke is barred from driving due to three prior convictions for driving while intoxicated. He was the general manager of Deery Brothers Chevrolet in Pleasant Hill, but Monday afternoon was no longer listed on the company's website.Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/driver-char...#ixzz3DQA7jXRf
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
pwrmanpaul66

Drives: 2016 2/SS 6 spd Dual Mode
What a LOSER !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I sure hope that wasn't a customer's car in for servicing. Probably not given the dealer tags, but he may have swapped them if he was planning to have a little fun.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
I did what? I black out when I drink..
TXLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm thankful somebody wife, husband, son or daughter didn't get hit by this guy and possibly killed. Multiple convictions.......wow!
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
It was even supercharged.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Cymaro

Here is the story from today.DES MOINES, Iowa —A Des Moines metro auto dealer is facing multiple charges after a crash on I-235 Saturday night and an OWI charge in a different town.Auto dealer charged in crash, OWI incidents on same day After a fiery crash Saturday evening, the man was charged in an OWI case in another town.After a trip home to his apartment in Grimes, then to his office at Deery Brothers Chevrolet in Pleasant Hill to pick up an SUV, 57-year-old Steven Luebke was arrested in Prairie City on a drunk driving charge.It was about 5:30 p.m. Saturday when a red Camaro caught fire under the bridge near Second and Third avenues on I-235.The fire was just the beginning of a wild weekend for a man who was still on the road even with a long history of drunk driving arrests.“We saw a red Camaro that was not able to control it and keep it under control driving down the road,” said witness Charles Piper.“I swear every single gear he hit, he was squealing tires,” Jaslynn Piper said.Charles and Jaslynn Piper were the first to see what happened to Luebke Saturday afternoon. Police confirmed he was driving the Camaro so hard and fast it caught fire and crashed on the freeway.The Pipers captured the car fire on a phone.“We didn't think anything of it at first, and then once he got into the car accident we thought he was drunk or something,” Jaslynn said.“It probably caught on fire because of the way he was driving before he crashed it,” said Sgt. Steve Woody of the Des Moines Police Department.Police said two people were injured when their cars crashed in the smoke that spread over the freeway.They said they saw a passer-by pick up Luebke, and police later found out that person took Luebke home to his apartment in Grimes. A neighbor said Luebke was so drunk he needed help to get in his front door.Des Moines police tracked him down him the next day, and arrested him for driving while barred, reckless driving and failure to have control.Police are now discovering that sometime after crashing the Camaro on the freeway, he went back to his dealership in Pleasant Hill and took a black Chevrolet Tahoe. He drove to Jasper County Saturday night, and a Prairie City police officer noticed him and arrested him for drunk driving at a Casey's General Store.It was around 11:30 p.m. Saturday that Prairie City Police Chief Will Mortenson noticed the smell of alcohol and Luebke’s bloodshot, watery eyes.He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail in Newton.Police say Luebke admitted to drinking before getting into the Camaro Saturday, and it’s his fourth OWI arrest in 15 years.Both the Camaro and the Tahoe had Deery Brothers dealer plates. Brad Deery said Luebke no longer works at Deery Brothers Chevrolet in Pleasant Hill.Luebke was let go from Toyota of Des Moines two years ago after other OWI incidents. He was only allowed to drive a car with an interlock ignition to prevent drunk driving.Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/auto-dealer...ixzz3DV53gWs9I feel really sorry for the Camaro, also glad no one was hurt.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Cymaro

And sorry about my copying and pasting skills
Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
OWWWW, "He was the general manager of Deery Brothers Chevrolet in Pleasant Hill" HOW??????, man someone at that dealership is going to catch hell for not doing a better background check on this loser. Hope they werent customer's cars!

Last edited by BlueStreakHouTX; 09-20-2014 at 07:15 AM.
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Deery Chevrolet is having a fire sale on Red Camaros! Stop by and tip back a few with the sales staff. Tell them that Steven Lubke sent you!
Bring a six pack for the sales staff and get an additional 10% off on your best deal!

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
see what happens, see. He did NOT trade his key for the new one. He kept the old switchblade key, and now it started a fire. Trying to tell you people. The switchblade key is making people crazy. This is just the start of things!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
see what happens, see. He did NOT trade his key for the new one. He kept the old switchblade key, and now it started a fire. Trying to tell you people. The switchblade key is making people crazy. This is just the start of things!

Switchblade key apocalypse

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Kinda wish that was my car because if it was that dealership would be putting in a nice and paid for black z/28 order I would be anxiously waiting to pick up. Or we could go to court for more their choice.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Kinda wish that was my car because if it was that dealership would be putting in a nice and paid for black z/28 order I would be anxiously waiting to pick up. Or we could go to court for more their choice.