Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Service Issues

I took my car in a couple of days ago to get a couple of rattles and the l99 lifter tick fixed. When I got my car back they had only changed the oil because the rattles wouldn't replicate and they gave me a TSB # 07-06-04-025F for 2011-11 Camaros with a 3.6L V6 VVT Direct Injection Engine. I decided to call the service manager to get everything sorted out but I think I will just go to another dealer now, opinions?
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
For the rattle issue you may want to take one of the dealership techs with you on a drive to see if you can't replicate the sounds that you are describing. For the ticking noise, did they give you a copy of the TSB your referenced above? If so that is all the information we have at this time on that issue. I know being told that a sound is normal isn't what you want to hear. Hopefully they will be able to take care of that rattle noise for you. Also, if you would like you can change dealerships as well. There is nothing wrong with that. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Moni
H-Town Camaro Club VP

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Go to another dealer. They have already failed. Cut your loss with them.
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
ayceman

Drives: 2007 Dodge Charger SXT, 2010 2SS
I had my last dealership try to tell me it was an oil change that would fix the tick, as a result they only changed the oil. Of course the tick is still present so I am just taking it to a different dealer with the tsb printed, I suggest you do the same.
ayceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
For the rattle issue you may want to take one of the dealership techs with you on a drive to see if you can't replicate the sounds that you are describing. For the ticking noise, did they give you a copy of the TSB your referenced above? If so that is all the information we have at this time on that issue. I know being told that a sound is normal isn't what you want to hear. Hopefully they will be able to take care of that rattle noise for you. Also, if you would like you can change dealerships as well. There is nothing wrong with that. I hope this helps.

Yeah they gave me a copy of the TSB for the LLT High Pressure Fuel Pump Ticking. I was sitting at a red light and looked over to my passengers seat and saw V6 and almost f***ing flipped out and it's not so much the fact that they told me that it was a normal sound but the fact that they were under the impression that I had a V6 (not that there is anything wrong with that ). It's just not a great way to present yourself as a business if you cannot tell the difference between a LS/LT and a SS for god sakes the badges themselves should be a dead giveaway. Also I did take the shop foreman on a drive and showed him that my center console was actually loose, the retaining clips are broken I believe, and it is causing a rattle across the middle of my interior. He told me that is absolutely normal

I'm glad to see that someone actually cares about us Camaro, Corvette and overall GM Vehicle owners and is taking the time to respond with informative and intelligent information, thanks lots Jeff!
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
ayceman, sorry to hear you have to take your vehicle to a different dealership but sometimes that does get the job done. The IOM Ninja, having another dealership take a look at your vehicle may be the ticket in your case as well. Hopefully they will be able to give you some better information on the problem you are having. I would suggest calling to see if they've seen the issue before and how they handled it just to get some information before going in. I hope this helps you.

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Here's what you need bud.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2578335
#10-06-01-007C: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters) - (Feb 9, 2011)

Subject:Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters)

Models:2007 Buick Rainier
2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)
2010-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2007-2011 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali
2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2007-2009 Saab 9-7X
Equipped with AFM (Active Fuel Management) and V8 Engine RPO L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5 or LZ1

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

This bulletin is being revised to add models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-007B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
<A href="#ss1-2578335">Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.
<A href="#ss2-2578335">Cause

This condition may be caused by any of the following:
• Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.
• A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.
• Dirty or contaminated oil.
• A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.
• Debris in the valve lifter.
• A high valve lifter leak down rate.
<A href="#ss3-2578335">Correction

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:
  1. Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.
    ⇒If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.
    Note: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the tick noise.
  2. Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.
    ⇒If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 16 valve lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.
<A href="#ss4-2578335">Parts Information

Note: A V8 AFM engine requires 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters for a total of 16 lifters.
Part Number
Description
Qty
Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter
AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter
<A href="#ss5-2578335">Warranty Information (excluding Saab Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
J0627
Valve Lifter Replacement - Both Sides
Use Published Labor Operation Time
<A href="#ss6-2578335">Warranty Information (Saab Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Saab Labor Operation
Description
Failed Object
Fault/Reason Code
Location Code
Warranty Type
Repair/Action Code
STM Labor Time
21421-12
Replace part, Depressor
01 (Replace)
Use Published STM Labor Operation Time
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote