Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #57
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
I did something similar, I printed a 3D virtual reality headset for my phone with the insert for my phone being printed out of soft rubber. It fits pretty well, and the rubber doesn't scuff it up, so I'm sure something similar could be done.

That's fantastic!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #58
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
I've tried and the Note 4 does not fit in the wireless charger. Maybe some after market vendors can make something that works for the over size phones.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #59
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Whelp, if your Note 4 doesn't fit, then for sure my Nexus 6 won't. Hooray for 3d printers.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #60
Clarkson

Drives: 2013 volkswagen tiguan
Get a note5, wireless charging pad will be safe with anything basically. It's kinda cool to charge wirelessly but when the curiosity goes off u might use usb cable to charge it again as it's way faaaaster
Clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #61
Clarkson

Drives: 2013 volkswagen tiguan
wireless charging is an option or standard?
Clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #62
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson View Post
wireless charging is an option or standard?
Option on 2LT. Standard on 2SS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #63
pkssauce

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson View Post
Get a note5, wireless charging pad will be safe with anything basically. It's kinda cool to charge wirelessly but when the curiosity goes off u might use usb cable to charge it again as it's way faaaaster
Note 5 too big to fit. I tried with my Note 5 at the find new roads in Seattle.
pkssauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #64
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Wireless charging is a joke in the car. Why you might ask? The best solution I have found are a mount to keep the device at dash/eye level, I use the ProClip mounts. Why would anyone wireless charge, where your device has to be out of reach/site and not all apps will either CarPlay or Android Auto to the center console display?! Non-starter for me.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #65
libertyforall

Thumbs down

Dumb that this is different from the C7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
the My Link screen doesn't even pop open for storage...that would be about the only other area that they could have placed it, but it doesn't even open for just storage.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #66
joemosfet

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Wireless charging is a joke in the car. Why you might ask? The best solution I have found are a mount to keep the device at dash/eye level, I use the ProClip mounts. Why would anyone wireless charge, where your device has to be out of reach/site and not all apps will either CarPlay or Android Auto to the center console display?! Non-starter for me.
Do you know the placement of the wireless charging mat has nothing to do with wireless charging capabilities?

You say "wireless charging is a joke" and then go on to say that its due to location, nothing to do with wireless charging.

Additionally, some of those dash-mounted phone clippy things also include wireless charging, so your argument that "wireless charging sucks because of where GM placed it" is null. It seems that your argument would be better suited as "GM's location of the wireless charging pad isn't going to work for me."

For me, I don't need my phone at eye level, and I think its pretty goofy looking having it on one of those dash mounts or window mounts. Additionally, while I use my phone as a primary source of audio in my vehicle, I never look at the screen (the phone doesn't even come out of it's bag) - everything can be handled from the steering wheel controls.

One of the complaints I've had about my 5th gen is no real spot to store my phone while I'm driving. (I'm not a fan of keeping things in my pockets, uncomfortable.) Either goes in the cupholder or on the passenger seat (eventually flying around and disappearing under a seat). To have a nice dedicated spot to put my cell phone, and, as a passive side effect, wireless charge it while its there (even through the phone case)? Sounds good to me.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
Old 11-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #67
libertyforall

Lightbulb

Ok, I will bite, show me a mount of the quality like Proclip, which does wireless charging? AFAIK, they do not exist.

Next point, I use apps like TrackAddict and others and should have the device in close proximity and with windshield viewing to use for video capture. There are a multitude of apps like the aforementioned which do NOT display on the remote center console display.

With a good mount, there are many places to put your phone:
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...maro/2016.cmsv

Plus there are vent clip and suction cup ones. I have had pretty good results with the vehicle-specific ones keeping at dash level with a charging dock. i.e.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
some of those dash-mounted phone clippy things also include wireless charging

For me, I don't need my phone at eye level, and I think its pretty goofy looking having it on one of those dash mounts or window mounts. Additionally, while I use my phone as a primary source of audio in my vehicle, I never look at the screen (the phone doesn't even come out of it's bag) - everything can be handled from the steering wheel controls.

One of the complaints I've had about my 5th gen is no real spot to store my phone while I'm driving. (I'm not a fan of keeping things in my pockets, uncomfortable.) Either goes in the cupholder or on the passenger seat (eventually flying around and disappearing under a seat). To have a nice dedicated spot to put my cell phone, and, as a passive side effect, wireless charge it while its there (even through the phone case)? Sounds good to me.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #68
joemosfet

You're kinda missing the point of my post.

I have no opinion on differences in quality between various dashboard mounts like your beloved Proclip. Some may have different opinions, that may or may not conflict with yours. What is "top quality" for you may not be for somebody else. Consider the guy with the Samsung phone that has the rubber door covering the USB port (for waterproofedness). He would say that a dash clip with wireless charging is pretty much required, everything else being crap.

But, again, that wasn't my point. My point is, your complaints are not due to any faults with wireless charging tech, and thus "wireless charging is a joke in a car" is a pretty intellectually poor thing to say.

By the way... over at ProClip they have mentioned work on wireless charging, but you're not gonna get one, because wireless charging is a joke in a car, right? I kid!

edit: I checked out those car clip things, those are pretty nifty. The price not so much, but the design is simple enough to recreate and print on a 3D printer, perhaps I'll give it a try in my truck (which likely would benefit from a place to mount my phone.)

Last edited by joemosfet; 11-25-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #69
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Ok, I will bite, show me a mount of the quality like Proclip, which does wireless charging? AFAIK, they do not exist.

Next point, I use apps like TrackAddict and others and should have the device in close proximity and with windshield viewing to use for video capture. There are a multitude of apps like the aforementioned which do NOT display on the remote center console display.

With a good mount, there are many places to put your phone:
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...maro/2016.cmsv

Plus there are vent clip and suction cup ones. I have had pretty good results with the vehicle-specific ones keeping at dash level with a charging dock. i.e.:

I will bite on this and for one with Joe's early comment. I could never mount that thing in my car. I honestly thought only people who were too lazy to look at their phone gps mounted those things. I like the wireless charger idea and wish it was like the corvette and just went behind the radio in a pocket just for your cell phone.

Remember the iplay and andriod play is going to let you use apps on your radio. Not right now but a lot of the sports car app designers are going to take advantage of this shortly.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #70
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
The wireless charging pad in this car infuriates me. Most phones that have built in wireless charging are too big to fit on the holder. Basically if it doesn't fit between all the raised areas your out of luck. Galaxy S6 edge here, not the + version either.
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote