#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-01-2023, 08:16 AM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Cybertruck

I watched the Tesla Cybertruck delivery event. Elon Musk delivered the first 10 Cybertrucks to customers at this event. Nothing about the Cybertruck appeals to me, but it is a very important vehicle, especially when you look at it's capabilities. Tows more than an F350. Faster than most supercars. This video, shown just before the deliveries were made, is quite compelling.

https://youtu.be/k-8HRFetY_Q?si=4wBaiLxA2Yg54gkZ
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:25 AM   #2
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
The Cybertruck is awesome.

A person can hate EV's and a person can hate how it looks, but the Cybertruck is awesome.

Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ugh....I hate that thing.

Nothing about this truck makes it any more important than any other EV truck right now.

I thought when it was initially unveiled years ago that it was a joke and Elon was trolling us all. Turns out, it wasn't. It still looks like a joke to me. They (not surprised) missed the starting launch price by 20 thousand dollars, and even that "cheap" version won't be out until 2025, where, by then, it will actually cost another 10 grand. $80grand starting for the AWD version if you happen to be someone that will actually drive this truck in truck like conditions.

It will sell at first, but once the "look at me" buyers are satisfied, it will fizzle.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:49 AM   #4
Iron Lung Jimmy

Did you watch the video? The truck is freaking amazing.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Some really neat tech and engineering but the looks absolutely destroy this thing. I'm impressed with the what's underneath, and the durability but I can not get onboard with the styling. Plus I'm still not sold on EV as a viable replacement for ICE at this point.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #6
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
It reminds me of a DeLorean on steroids
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:14 AM   #7
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Some really neat tech and engineering but the looks absolutely destroy this thing. I'm impressed with the what's underneath, and the durability but I can not get onboard with the styling. Plus I'm still not sold on EV as a viable replacement for ICE at this point.
I’m right with you on the aesthetics. I’ve had four years to look at this and it has not grown on me one iota. Don’t think it ever will. But the functionality is amazing. And considering it is the first shot out of the box, you have to wonder where additional development will take it.

We’ve had Volts in my family since 2012 and now have a Tesla Model Y. I’ve yet to run into anything our ICE cars can do that our Model Y can’t. And I’ve discovered a number of things the Model Y can do that the other cars in our household can’t and for the most part, none of those things have anything to do with the car being electric.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-01-2023, 09:15 AM   #8
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I don't like anything in the Tesla line-up. Anyone that sees value in their vehicles I wish them well.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
And Tesla really did decide to stay with the solid stainless steel body. One small little fender bender and it's totaled because no repair shop will be able to repair it. And people thought the Rivian's repair cost was expensive due to it's unique design.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:48 AM   #10
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
And Tesla really did decide to stay with the solid stainless steel body. One small little fender bender and it's totaled because no repair shop will be able to repair it. And people thought the Rivian's repair cost was expensive due to it's unique design.
Jason Cammisa’s video review https://youtu.be/L6WDq0V5oBg?si=HW7M-X3URRtTJf0C includes a spot where Randy Pobst hits a stainless steel refrigerator with a sledgehammer, denting it. Then he hits the Cybertruck with the same sledgehammer. Not even a scratch. Fast forward to 17:45 in the video.

Then they show an actual crash sled test where the Cybertruck is struck at 90 degrees (direct broadside) with the equivalent of a small SUV traveling at 33.5 mph. Minimal damage and the glass didn’t shatter. The doors would have to be replaced. That’s about it.

Really impressive.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #11
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Did you watch the video? The truck is freaking amazing.
Yeah I did. There's a lot of impressive stuff going on under the skin of the Cyber truck. It's amazing as a marvel of engineering, or it's amazing because it's so stupid fast (at least, in "Cyberbeast" trim). It's not necessarily "freaking amazing" as a truck. It offers impressive towing and payload. In other areas, I think the Rivian, or regular ICE trucks from the big three are better, when being used for truck stuff.

I can be honest with myself and just say that the thing is butt freaking ugly, and the interior is just as bad. I wish I could understand why Tesla went with this design, when having all of the same features (perhaps minus the "bullet proof" BS) would have resulted in not alienating half or more of potential buyers, just based on the styling alone.

The only people that will buy this thing are 1) "Look at me!" rich boy crowd. 2) I don't care it looks like poo, I just want one (Tesla fanatic or EV fanatic) group 3) the five people in America that actually think it looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Jason Cammisa’s video review https://youtu.be/L6WDq0V5oBg?si=HW7M-X3URRtTJf0C includes a spot where Randy Pobst hits a stainless steel refrigerator with a sledgehammer, denting it. Then he hits the Cybertruck with the same sledgehammer. Not even a scratch. Fast forward to 17:45 in the video.

Then they show an actual crash sled test where the Cybertruck is struck at 90 degrees (direct broadside) with the equivalent of a small SUV traveling at 33.5 mph. Minimal damage and the glass didn’t shatter. The doors would have to be replaced. That’s about it.

Really impressive.
It is impressive.

....and what about when just the doors aren't smashed? What if the rear quarter is hit? It isn't going to do the EV folk any favors in terms of insurance costs, which by the way, appear to be climbing like crazy for many Rivian owners based on a recent thread I read on the Rivian forums. Really cutting into those gas savings. (like that really ever mattered to these buyers)
Old 12-01-2023, 01:05 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Definitely not for me, it looks like something out of an 80s video game, like it's pixelated. I guess it's better looking than all these bland CUVs driving around though.

...ehhhhhhh. I don't know lol.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:21 PM   #14
Iron Lung Jimmy

I think the Cybertruck is so ugly that it is cool. But I'm the guy who thinks it would be great fun to drive an Edsel, so there's that.

But think about it, if at Cars and Coffee you parked your Cybertruck in a row of Ferraris and Lambos is there any doubt around which vehicle the crowd would form?