Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
MrImSoFly

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Sunroof does not close automatically.

Hey Everyone - I have a sunroof for my camaro and for some reason it does not close automatically, but it will open automatically. I read the manual and it does appear to have that option of automatic open/close if you double click the button. I took it to my dealership, but they told me it does not have the option of closing automatically. Has anyone ever experienced this before? I plan to take it back to the dealership after the holidays, but I just wanted to get some opinions before I do so.
MrImSoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It does not close automatically due to safety reasons (or gm legal dept)....It will always require your finger on the button.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
In the 2017 manual it states and explains how to use the express automatic open and close feature on page 22. It also explaines the reversal system on page 49. What year is your car? Not sure about the sixteens.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It does not close automatically due to safety reasons (or gm legal dept)....It will always require your finger on the button.
Safety or lawyers have nothing to do with a car having or not having this feature. I have an 18 right now that does have it. Its about cost. By law they have to include a reversal system if its going to have auto close thus costing more to include. Even across GM's current line some cars have it and some don't.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
MrImSoFly

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
In the 2017 manual it states and explains how to use the express automatic open and close feature on page 22. It also explaines the reversal system on page 49. What year is your car? Not sure about the sixteens.
Mines is a 2017. I will check the manual again this weekend because I do not recall the explanation of the reversal system.
MrImSoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Safety or lawyers have nothing to do with a car having or not having this feature. I have an 18 right now that does have it. Its about cost. By law they have to include a reversal system if its going to have auto close thus costing more to include. Even across GM's current line some cars have it and some don't.
It cost very little to nothing at all, the entire process is controlled by the BCM.

Lawyers do also have a part in it as well, certain laws or regs may be in place for a certain model year car and then drop off for another which then allows a manufacture to make changes in a vehicle.

Also the other thing is the knee jerk reactions from the public and the litigate happiness of people to go after a manufacture. If it wasnt for that we wouldnt have mandated back up cameras and a plethora of other features that all came about from litigation.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 AM   #7
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
It cost very little to nothing at all, the entire process is controlled by the BCM.

Lawyers do also have a part in it as well, certain laws or regs may be in place for a certain model year car and then drop off for another which then allows a manufacture to make changes in a vehicle.

Also the other thing is the knee jerk reactions from the public and the litigate happiness of people to go after a manufacture. If it wasnt for that we wouldnt have mandated back up cameras and a plethora of other features that all came about from litigation.
Calling BS. Ive had cars with that feature for many years. I have three right now with it. They dont make regulations that specific saying a camaro cant have an automatic sunroof but a Cadillac can. Its offered in other 2017 GM cars and trucks, so if it doesnt come in a 2017 Camaro (which the manual says it does) it has be do to the bean counters or an engineer finding some reason to delete it. If you dont think they eliminate things that apprear to not cost much to do just because they don't cost much, I have some cheap property to sell you. Their competition, the need for profit and providing what the customer expects requires them to look at all costs. Its a balancing act for sure.

Last edited by motorhead; 12-13-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #8
Sullie63
CamaroFan63

Drives: '15 1LT Summit White
My 2009 Hhr has auto open and close with one touch.
Hit it once and it does the rest.

Last edited by Sullie63; 12-13-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Sullie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
Brewmaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary
I took my 17 camaro to a local dealer to adresss this exact issue. We reviewed the manual- which clearly states the auto close function, so they agreed to investigate. GM told them the feature was not available on Camaro. The switch seems like it would support it- but the car does not.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
2017 Camaro with European specifications here: no auto-close function, too.

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #11
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
I took my 17 camaro to a local dealer to adresss this exact issue. We reviewed the manual- which clearly states the auto close function, so they agreed to investigate. GM told them the feature was not available on Camaro. The switch seems like it would support it- but the car does not.
They need to fix their owners manual then. Pretty bad when you can't even get that right.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #12
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Did they give you a case number or anything to follow up on?
Old 12-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
Brewmaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary
No- dealer said they called it in and were told the cars don’t have auto close.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post

Every BMW and Mercedes equipped with a moonroof since about 1994 has had full auto one-touch open and close. Every. Single. One.

Every Honda since 2007 equipped with a moonroof has had one touch close.

It has absolutely zero to do with lawyers, model years, drop offs, or whatever other idea you made up. The fact that every moonroof-equipped GM car or truck doesn't have full one-touch open AND close, and hasn't for at least the last 5 years, is strictly and completely GM's fault and GM's fault alone.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote