Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #15
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
Along with the ever standard Chevy steering wheel which I'm glad I don't have...
Yep... same here.

The Camaro shouldn't be just another run of the mill GM/Chevy product. They should avoid cross-pollination as much as possible with the rest of the fleet to keep them unique, because that's what they are. Chevy has 2 unique builds, the muscle car Camaro, and the sports car Corvette, and they should be playing up the unique aspects of each, not trying to absorb them within the 'brand'.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
As long as the 6th Gen keeps the sexy hips of the 5th gen all will be good Not super stoked about the squished front end but with the right headlight proportions it might turn out ok
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #17
HuJass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
As long as the 6th Gen keeps the sexy hips of the 5th gen all will be good Not super stoked about the squished front end but with the right headlight proportions it might turn out ok
AND it needs to keep it's Coke bottle shape and wasp waist.

It'll just be a regular car if it doesn't retain all 3 of those styling aspects.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Some of those Renders look like a 2015 Impala and a 2004 Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS spawned.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #19
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
I hope the front is a bit different, because I'm not really digging it. The rounded hood looks dumb, and the whole front looks like some sort of fish with puffy cheeks.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
I think it's going to look great but I hope I hate it
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
SteelCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
Yep... same here.

The Camaro shouldn't be just another run of the mill GM/Chevy product. They should avoid cross-pollination as much as possible with the rest of the fleet to keep them unique, because that's what they are. Chevy has 2 unique builds, the muscle car Camaro, and the sports car Corvette, and they should be playing up the unique aspects of each, not trying to absorb them within the 'brand'.
While I agree, you have to consider that the more unique these cars become, taking less parts from the GM parts bin, the more the consumer is going to pay in the end. Sometimes it's not necessarily bad to have a generic steering wheel that still does the job well, which will also keep costs down, in which you can just replace with an aftermarket one later on if you desire.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #22
HuJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
just replace with an aftermarket one later on if you desire.
Does the aftermarket make replacement steering wheels for modern cars?
What with all the steering wheel controls, infotainment, telematics, and airbags, I would think they don't.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #23
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I have a feeling the casual person won't even notice the difference between the 5th and 6th generation.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #24
SteelCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
Does the aftermarket make replacement steering wheels for modern cars?
What with all the steering wheel controls, infotainment, telematics, and airbags, I would think they don't.
You'd be thinking wrong then. It depends on the car and aftermarket support, but there are probably as many choices for steering wheels as there are for catback exhausts. Everything does remain intact if it's a direct OEM replacement, which most are.

Here is just one example:

I've also been thinking about one for my WRX recently. This is just one brand I can choose from:
http://www.gtspec.com/catalog/produc...steering-wheel

Last edited by SteelCamaro; 04-28-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #25
HuJass

I didn't search in-depth, but that one is just a modified original wheel.

I'm talking about a whole new wheel that looks completely different than the stock wheel and still retains all the functionality.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #26
SteelCamaro

Quote:
I didn't search in-depth, but that one is just a modified original wheel.

I'm talking about a whole new wheel that looks completely different than the stock wheel and still retains all the functionality.
Eh, I would go a little further than saying it's just a "modified original wheel." The grip, shape, and feel is entirely different. I don't know what more you want. The steering hub is a certain shape and would require extensive modifications or adapters for a differently-shaped wheel to comfortably fit. Sure, you can buy any competition wheel from Sparco or wherever, but if you're at the point where you need one of those, I'd think you wouldn't be caring about airbags, radio controls, or anything like that.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #27
HuJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
Eh, I would go a little further than saying it's just a "modified original wheel." The grip, shape, and feel is entirely different. I don't know what more you want. The steering hub is a certain shape and would require extensive modifications or adapters for a differently-shaped wheel to comfortably fit. Sure, you can buy any competition wheel from Sparco or wherever, but if you're at the point where you need one of those, I'd think you wouldn't be caring about airbags, radio controls, or anything like that.
Exactly my point.
I don't think completely original design steering wheels, that support all the functionality of the original wheel, exist for modern cars.

Flattening the bottom and re-wrapping does not a new wheel make.
It's a modified original wheel.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
Old 04-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
SteelCamaro

Quote:
Exactly my point.
I don't think completely original design steering wheels, that support all the functionality of the original wheel, exist for modern cars.

Flattening the bottom and re-wrapping does not a new wheel make.
It's a modified original wheel.
It's different enough for the car community to regularly drop $700+ on these across all makes and models, and the last time I checked we all don't drive holding onto the center of the wheel. If the area that we touch 99.9% of the time while driving is completely different (and is noticably different while using it), how does that not constitute a significant enough difference? All wheels/rims are the same then and make little difference, because they all bolt on the same way and are round, right? That's like saying the 5.0 Coyote is only a "slightly modified" version of the LS3 because it's a V8.