Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
BigFig15

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
'16 2SS 7000 miles bad steering vibration

I got a problem with my car. I was going through a round about to get on the interstate and all of a sudden the steering wheel started shaking pretty bad like I had a flat tire. So I pulled over quick and checked the tires and they're all good, took off down the on ramp and it started shaking again. The shaking stopped when I applied the brakes. Luckily there was a Chevy dealer near by and I parked it there. I looked at the wheels and noticed a lug nut was missing from the passenger front wheel but everything else looked alright. Anyone have any idea whats going on? Could that one lug nut cause all this?

Thanks for the help
BigFig15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
There is a small chance that the lugnuts are loose on a wheel. If you lost one there is a chance that the remainder are loose. This is unlikely but I have seen it. By any chance has the car been in for service recently?
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
BigFig15

No. I had the stock wheels put on a couple weeks ago. I used a cordless impact and then a torque wrench. 140 ft lbs of torque was used
BigFig15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
gdgraph

Yes, a missing lug nut could have caused the vibration. First thing that came to mind when I saw the title was a bent wheel or a non-balance wheel, but the vibrations usually occur at higher speeds, this sounds like a lug nut came off, others could be loose and the the corner of the wheel with the missing or loose nuts was coming off and on the hub making a heavy vibration, especially on turns when you're exerting more loads.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Balance weights may have fallen off. Assuming you already checked the lugnuts? If not, check those first, replace the missing one. What was the reason to swap the wheels over? How much have you driven on the stock wheels since putting them on? Were they balanced when they were put on, or did you just swap them over yourself?

Did you buy new? Maybe the dealership will check it under warranty if you ask. Shouldn't take long to diagnose for a service department, and better to be safe than guess part by part.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
What did you have on before? Is it possible a hubcentric ring from aftermarket wheels was left on? Also did you switch back to the stock lugs?
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFig15 View Post
No. I had the stock wheels put on a couple weeks ago. I used a cordless impact and then a torque wrench. 140 ft lbs of torque was used
If lugs were put on with a torque wrench how can you explain a missing lug nut?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
What did you have on before? Is it possible a hubcentric ring from aftermarket wheels was left on? Also did you switch back to the stock lugs?
Check for this, if it was left on this would cause a vibration and also could cause lug nuts to back off
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I just had a stearing gear replaced for this exact issue, but only perceived it with my winter tires while turning left. After two balance checks, I took it in for a check and they said it was that and replaced it. Got it back today.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote