Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I thought that Lingenfelter was working on an enlarged intercooler brick for the LSA/LS9 engines a while back? I'll see if I can find the link or info.
This is really a complex engineering issue because the brick constricts the movement of air from the screws to the heads. If you get enough air flow through an efficient motor at high rpms the engine will draw so much air that you may actually lose boost between the top of the brick and the bottom. If you increase the size of the brick you may get more cooling but make less power because the engine will not be able to get air through the restriction. What good is better cooling if you can't make more power than the stock part. I suspect this is why to this point we don't have another choice for bricks. The stock unit is pretty good at passing air.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #30
fourcammer

Drives: 7331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
The best mods right now are heat exchanger, intercooler pump and larger reservoir. This will reduce the temperature before it has a chance to rise. The rise will be reduced slightly, but the "bricks" inefficient nature is still the source of the problem.
i agee .i went with the katech hx and reservoir from roto fab btw does not leak .i like the katech hx it has a bleeder line built on it .the only piece of the puzzle i have missing is a upgraded pump . that's later on .
fourcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I cant believe people are recommending meth for someone that says he wants to drive his car hard on a road course...

Heat exchanger mod, ceramic coat headers, thermostat, bigger radiator, larger reservoir tank, intercooler pump mod and perhaps use some mods to make the car lighter instead of adding more power by means of more boost etc...

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #32
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I'm running the Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, D3PE reservoir, and Methanol Injection - the combination of those 3 has helped a lot with the mods I have.

But I only use it at the drag strip, clearly methanol would be no good for the road course people
Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #33
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
I'm running the Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, D3PE reservoir, and Methanol Injection - the combination of those 3 has helped a lot with the mods I have.

But I only use it at the drag strip, clearly methanol would be no good for the road course people
from what ive seen it barely helps keeps you cool at the strip phil.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Proven Cooling Methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
from what ive seen it barely helps keeps you cool at the strip phil.

It massively helps from where I was

Over 50 degrees cooler than prior.

Before was ridiculous - now it's acceptable

Obviously not down at the chiller levels like you, but still at a point where it's not pulling timing
Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #35
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
So would just getting a chiller than be better than getting the heat exchanger, bigger reservoir. I only use mine for.occasional drag racing and spirited driving. Also I'll be getting a 650+whp package so id like to stay as cool as possible.

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
There are two aluminum heat exchangers, intercoolers, radiators, in the air to water supercharger system using a roots blower, one is directly under the supercharger one is in the front of the car. Different people call them different things and they are advertised with different names. If you do a general search of the internet on intercoolers most of what you see will be the units mounted in the grill. I guess maybe I should have said a ron davis heat exchanger but many call the brick under the supercharger a heat exchanger because it is.... anyway, Bottom line is I have a good system. Any other questions?
I guess the difference is hot air to water vs ambien air to water,but they are all HEX period.WHAT'S in a name..they all remove heat ! I think that's where some people get confused or miss understand..I call my a inter-cooler and or a hex depending on who i am talking to. whatever works best for you sir..
Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
So would just getting a chiller than be better than getting the heat exchanger, bigger reservoir. I only use mine for.occasional drag racing and spirited driving. Also I'll be getting a 650+whp package so id like to stay as cool as possible.
You need to get a bigger hex,and res..most important D3 works really good,largest of all of them...or at least that's what they say..for everyday driving it the best way to go,plus you dont have to worry about the a/c compressor cutting out if your doing any track driving..
Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #38
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
Contact jtulery and check out his ZL1 AI Super Chiller if he is close to you!
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote