Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #29
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
You want to talk about buying a 'new new' first-year model... I bought a 1991 Saturn SC new. A lot of folks warned me about buying such a new first-year model... I mean essentially zero components of the car were shared with any other GM vehicles (except maybe a few things like the Delco battery). I ended up owning the car for nearly 15 years with essentially no major issues until the last year.

Bottom line... If you like the car, go for it.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #30
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
There were some minor kinks in the 2010 Camaro but nothing serious or anything that required more than an hour or two at the dealer. Talk to most any first year 5th gen owner - their cars have been spot on reliable.

This is 2015 and we are almost into 2016. Lets say GM had the design for this car finalized 3 or even 4 years ago, so the 6th gen Camaro design was finalized in 2011. At the earliest, this car will have 2011 engineering, design, and production techniques and technology. Which also means it's one of the first GM cars to go completely from scratch as the new GM. There is a substantial amount of testing and certifying that engineers do at their computers through simulations that work out most of the bugs and flaws of modern cars before they even put the first EVER mule together.

Then these mules go through what amounts to hundreds of thousands of miles of rigorous testing, fine tuning, and adjustments in all climates and road conditions.

Truth is, all modern cars from all first world car companies have refined their engineering and pre-production design so well that there really isn't a "first year" trial period for customers like there was 20 years ago.

By the time the very first full production Camaro comes off the line the car has been tested and tested and tested, and then tested even more.

Don't forget, the chassis is a derivative of the Cadillac ATS coupe which has been in full production for well over a year now.

I would not let the fact this is a new Camaro bother you.
I can honestly say this is one of the best things I have read since I have been on this forum (counting all my time on the C5 forum as well).

Things are so much different (better) today versus our "old" way of thinking. Just look at vehicle oil changes, where we always had the mentality that it just had to be 3 Months or 3,000 miles (whichever came first). Today with cars using Full Synthetic (or Synthetic Blend Oils) you can get your oil changed twice a year (some might only need it once a year depending on the kind of car it is) and you'll be fine.

One of the reasons I would rather get a 2016 Camaro, trading in my 2011, instead of a 2017 is because if I buy a 2016 at the end of the year of 2015 my 2011 will be four model years old, if I wait until 2016 to buy a 2017 it will be five model years old, and I may get a better trade in when it's four model years old.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #31
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
My friend warned me not to buy my 2010 SS first year. I ignored him and bought an early 23xxx vin and I had tons of problems. Transmission was replaced, 2 oil leaks, loose starter, problems with window indexing, and notchy 3rd gear in the replacement trans. I wish I had listened to his advice!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #32
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
I have bought over 30 new cars and many first year models. Back in the day, I think there were more problems than now. Bought an all new Genesis Coupe in 2009 and never had any problem with it. Have a '13 now and no problem and the only recall was to re-program the transmission which I had never had any problem with. You guys will love the new 8 speed auto. I plan on a '16 Camaro as soon as it's available. Oh, I'm 73 and not old enough for a 4 door sedan yet!!!
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #33
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I'm comfortable that there will be no major issues at release....but I'm sure they'll have all the bugs worked out when they produce the "High Horsepower" 6th Gen, that's I'm waiting on!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #34
KINGZ28

Drives: GM
I always have and have no problems????
KINGZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #35
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
People that say that are usually the un-lucky ones when it comes to buying first release models. I've met people that bought the first ones by pre-order and have never had issues. Of course, they don't even bother with online forums because they're more about local scene than what I am, so you'll probably never deal with them old folks.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #36
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
I've had more then 5 years with my car and I haven't had any problems with it
Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #37
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
When I had a 2011 V6 the ECU went bad three days after purchase. Warranty covered it.

Last November I had engine work on my 2014 1SS. Again warranty covered it.

With mass produced vehicles bad parts slip through Quality Control. Or become bad afterwards. It does suck when you buy a car,in the first week, you are back at the Service Center with a problem. It happens. At least the vehicle will be fixed and back on the road soon.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #38
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I wouldn't buy a first model year, not because I think it will have problems, but mostly because there are almost always tweaks and additional options that usually come in the following MY (or 2 MY with the 5th gen). Plus I'm a cheap bastard and like to pick up a car with under 10k miles and save some money, but still be getting something that is basically new.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #39
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Unfortunately, yes. My train of thought is very different from the average Camaro owner, though. I like to buy it second-hand when somebody else has footed the bill on depreciation and dealt with the first years' worth of mechanical gremlins. I also never buy the first model year after a major redesign. My game plan is to possibly grab a 2017 model year Camaro about a year after it's been on the road. I know that sounds nuts, but I'm still pretty happy with my 2011 anyway (which was also second-hand.) Not being in debt feels nice too, I guess.

Can somebody in the Raleigh, NC area order a hyper blue manual SS that's decked out with options in about a year? I will buy it from you later.
Yeah somebody do this also in southern Cali
Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #40
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Not me - Engine is fully vetted (pun intended), so not too worried there. I think that design wise, it's fully tested, the issue will come down to quality control and plant issues. Someone tell me if i'm wrong, 6amaro being built alongside CTS and ATS...this is GM flagship so...take that for what its worth - I'm not concerned.
Make sure you get the stick. I do not trust that GM has the AFM bs and lifters fixed.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #41
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
If you can wait, wait. If not live close to a good dealer and one that will put u in a good ride on any warranty issues. All new to Camaro frame, engine tight fit, 8 spd etc..all could create unsorted issues.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #42
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Not worried about first year of a new car when the drivetrain is at least partially carried over (LT1 & 8L90 from C7). Although inconvenient at times, the warranty is there to take care of any TSBs, issues and recalls.

You can either enjoy the car while it's still fresh/current or wait until all of the bugs are worked out just before a redesign
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote