Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
My short review of the Camaro

What I've ordered is a 2016 Camaro 1SS in the Garnet Red Metallic, with the 6 speed manual transmission and the dual-mode performance exhaust as the only options. The MSRP was $38585, and the sale price was $37000, while invoice was $37016, so I basically got it for invoice. And I'm happy with that. My final price was right at $34000, after taxes and fees, after taking a $4300 negative equity hit, $3000 in GM Card rewards and the private offer, and then putting in $6000 as a down payment.

I went in mid/late February to get the process started on ordering. My sales guy got the manager to waive the $1000 deposit, then the sales guy got the manager to swap out one of their Camaro orders for one of mine so I would get it quicker! Pretty good service, IMO. I have read some horror stories about people trying to order and the dealership screwing them on their available allocation. I got a TPW, and an estimated delivery date, and they both him them on the nose. Then the wait began...

I wanted to add: the dealer didn't apply their dealer applique nor did they drill the license plate holder! Plus they filled it up with premium. Props!

Exterior:
The outside is gorgeous. Lots of people complained about the rear and the grill when the first pictures hit. I didn't like the rear end in the pictures, but in person it works. The grill looks very...Lexus-y? I like it in any case. The wide fenders give it a very muscular look. The swooping hood with the functional vents also accentuates the masculinity. I do have a gripe about the handles and the roof though. The buttons for the key-less entry are very wobbly. The fitness of them in their hole isn't all that good. And then when you close the doors, you can see the roof vibrate/shudder from the impact. Just in the pursuit of lightness, I suppose, it's very thin metal.

I thought the projection lights were gimmicky back in the day, but wow, they sure do put out a lot of light. Glad they included it standard on the SS cars now. The dual-mode exhaust (NPP is the production code) includes quad tips and the painted rear valence. And it looks awesome. Regular exhaust comes with an unpainted valence.

The fuel door pops open when you push on the edge of it. It does have a capless filler tube. I'm sort of wary about that.

Interior:
The 2016 includes push button start. So futuristic! Press in the brake and the clutch, and then push the button. Hear the fuel pressurize, then hold onto your seat! No, really, hold on. My GF jumps every time I start it up, haha.

The redesigned interior looks a lot better than the '14 I had. The screens in the cluster and the center give it a very upscale touch. Everything is reasonably responsive, and I've not had any problems with using it. There's a lot of options to be displayed, and cycling through them is pretty intuitive using the steering wheel controls. One thing that grinds my gears is that the power button for the radio/infotainment center displays a "volume muted" message when the radio is turned off. When has a power button meant "mute"? Also, I don't think it's possible to have the screen off while listening to music.
Bluetooth comes standard, along with 4G LTE, both of which I doubt I'll really use. There's other stuff to be concentrating on while driving!

Both seats are power adjustable which is nice. I don't know if it was the base 1LS last time or what, but the passenger seat in the old Camaro didn't have the height adjustment, so my GF had to sit on a pillow in order to see out of the car! The seats are supportive, though I sort of wish I had gone with the leather. That would have required going to the 2SS, which is an additional $5000, which I didn't have. It also includes a lot of electronics that I would rather not want to deal with. One thing about the seats. They don't recline all that much! Probably to not interfere with the rear seats. But there will be no gangster leaning while driving in this car. I don't do that anyway. But maybe on long road trips it'll be nice to just lay back at a rest stop. Can't do that in this car.

What you've read about the rear seats is true. Going back to my GF, a petite 5'0 thing, she looked at the rear seats and laughed and said even she wouldn't fit back there. With the seat back in my driving position, there's maybe 6-7" between the seat back and the rear seat cushion. And I'm an average (in height only )guy. 'Tis the life of owning a car like this. It's fine, it's just me and my GF.

Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Yes, it's not the best, but this is a site for the Mazda Miata. There are no visibility issues, when the top is down on the Miata.

Performance:
Here it is. Yes. The performance is there. In spades. Oh my god it's there alright. 455 hp, 455 lb-ft torque. 6.2 liters of Screaming American Muscle. Or we could say 376 cubic inches, since this is America! It'll get up and go, and with it being 200 pounds less than the outgoing model, it'll go faster. Everything you've read is true. It'll push you into the back of the seat. And into the sides of your seat. Can you say lateral acceleration of 1.0g? The engine does require premium fuel.

The stock tires are pretty amazing. I find them to be pretty darn quiet. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. Summer tires. Runflats. They work. The stock wheels weigh in at close to 29 pounds for the front and 32 for the rear. They are 8.5 inches in the front and 9.5 inches in the back. I like the look of the wheels, but not the "unable to rotate them" part.

The noise. If there's one thing that puts a smile on my face, it's this. The v8 engine is amazing. It's the main reason why I bought this car. My previous two Camaros were only the v6. It's time to get the v8. The NPP makes it sound much much better. For a quick video, go here:

https://youtu.be/DbLPKYGzmyQ?t=1m24s

I turned it on the first time and my GF jumped in her seat.

Overall:
This was a pretty rash purchase. 600 dollars a month is pretty crazy, though I read someone has a 950 dollar payment. Now that's crazy. He was $8000 in the hole on his old car, and didn't put a down payment. Not my car, not my problem.

But every time I get into the car and start it, hearing the fuel pump pressurize, then the roar of the car, it makes it a little bit more worth it.

If there's anything else you want to hear about, let me know!
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Good write up, glad you are enjoying your new toy! I know visibility can be limited but my gen5 has only given me trouble with u-turns under the freeways.

Any plans for it performance or appearance wise in the future?
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
enzia35

No mods planned. It's pretty darn good out of the box.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Congrats!

Careful with the "visibility problems is overstated" statement, there are some that swear to all that is holy that the car is a menace to society because of the visibility.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
enzia35

Haha, well I've been driving the Camaro for my whole driving career, and the Miata I have has a completely hazed rear window which I can't see out of, and the side visibility with the top up is terrible too. I guess I'm just used to it.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
enzia35

My gf commented yesterday that she didn't realize the car was going to be this different, she thought it was just a small facelift. Little did she know it was everything!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
My gf commented yesterday that she didn't realize the car was going to be this different, she thought it was just a small facelift. Little did she know it was everything!
It really is amazing that they changed everything but kept the exterior styling so close to the 5th gen's that unless the average person is really paying attention, they might not even know it is not a 5th Gen.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Good writeup and great color choice. Glad you like it. I am also planning on a 1SS, never liked leather even though most do. And most of the reason the 2SS needs the heated and vented seat is because they are leather. I would like the HUD though. I know that HUD could be added to C6 vettes fairly easily as all of them had the electric hookups, don't know if it's that way with the Cameros.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
What I've ordered is a 2016 Camaro 1SS in the Garnet Red Metallic, with the 6 speed manual transmission and the dual-mode performance exhaust as the only options. The MSRP was $38585, and the sale price was $37000, while invoice was $37016, so I basically got it for invoice. And I'm happy with that. My final price was right at $34000, after taxes and fees, after taking a $4300 negative equity hit, $3000 in GM Card rewards and the private offer, and then putting in $6000 as a down payment.

I went in mid/late February to get the process started on ordering. My sales guy got the manager to waive the $1000 deposit, then the sales guy got the manager to swap out one of their Camaro orders for one of mine so I would get it quicker! Pretty good service, IMO. I have read some horror stories about people trying to order and the dealership screwing them on their available allocation. I got a TPW, and an estimated delivery date, and they both him them on the nose. Then the wait began...

I wanted to add: the dealer didn't apply their dealer applique nor did they drill the license plate holder! Plus they filled it up with premium. Props!

Exterior:
The outside is gorgeous. Lots of people complained about the rear and the grill when the first pictures hit. I didn't like the rear end in the pictures, but in person it works. The grill looks very...Lexus-y? I like it in any case. The wide fenders give it a very muscular look. The swooping hood with the functional vents also accentuates the masculinity. I do have a gripe about the handles and the roof though. The buttons for the key-less entry are very wobbly. The fitness of them in their hole isn't all that good. And then when you close the doors, you can see the roof vibrate/shudder from the impact. Just in the pursuit of lightness, I suppose, it's very thin metal.

I thought the projection lights were gimmicky back in the day, but wow, they sure do put out a lot of light. Glad they included it standard on the SS cars now. The dual-mode exhaust (NPP is the production code) includes quad tips and the painted rear valence. And it looks awesome. Regular exhaust comes with an unpainted valence.

The fuel door pops open when you push on the edge of it. It does have a capless filler tube. I'm sort of wary about that.

Interior:
The 2016 includes push button start. So futuristic! Press in the brake and the clutch, and then push the button. Hear the fuel pressurize, then hold onto your seat! No, really, hold on. My GF jumps every time I start it up, haha.

The redesigned interior looks a lot better than the '14 I had. The screens in the cluster and the center give it a very upscale touch. Everything is reasonably responsive, and I've not had any problems with using it. There's a lot of options to be displayed, and cycling through them is pretty intuitive using the steering wheel controls. One thing that grinds my gears is that the power button for the radio/infotainment center displays a "volume muted" message when the radio is turned off. When has a power button meant "mute"? Also, I don't think it's possible to have the screen off while listening to music.
Bluetooth comes standard, along with 4G LTE, both of which I doubt I'll really use. There's other stuff to be concentrating on while driving!

Both seats are power adjustable which is nice. I don't know if it was the base 1LS last time or what, but the passenger seat in the old Camaro didn't have the height adjustment, so my GF had to sit on a pillow in order to see out of the car! The seats are supportive, though I sort of wish I had gone with the leather. That would have required going to the 2SS, which is an additional $5000, which I didn't have. It also includes a lot of electronics that I would rather not want to deal with. One thing about the seats. They don't recline all that much! Probably to not interfere with the rear seats. But there will be no gangster leaning while driving in this car. I don't do that anyway. But maybe on long road trips it'll be nice to just lay back at a rest stop. Can't do that in this car.

What you've read about the rear seats is true. Going back to my GF, a petite 5'0 thing, she looked at the rear seats and laughed and said even she wouldn't fit back there. With the seat back in my driving position, there's maybe 6-7" between the seat back and the rear seat cushion. And I'm an average (in height only )guy. 'Tis the life of owning a car like this. It's fine, it's just me and my GF.

Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Problems with visibility are overstated. Yes, it's not the best, but this is a site for the Mazda Miata. There are no visibility issues, when the top is down on the Miata.

Performance:
Here it is. Yes. The performance is there. In spades. Oh my god it's there alright. 455 hp, 455 lb-ft torque. 6.2 liters of Screaming American Muscle. Or we could say 376 cubic inches, since this is America! It'll get up and go, and with it being 200 pounds less than the outgoing model, it'll go faster. Everything you've read is true. It'll push you into the back of the seat. And into the sides of your seat. Can you say lateral acceleration of 1.0g? The engine does require premium fuel.

The stock tires are pretty amazing. I find them to be pretty darn quiet. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. Summer tires. Runflats. They work. The stock wheels weigh in at close to 29 pounds for the front and 32 for the rear. They are 8.5 inches in the front and 9.5 inches in the back. I like the look of the wheels, but not the "unable to rotate them" part.

The noise. If there's one thing that puts a smile on my face, it's this. The v8 engine is amazing. It's the main reason why I bought this car. My previous two Camaros were only the v6. It's time to get the v8. The NPP makes it sound much much better. For a quick video, go here:

https://youtu.be/DbLPKYGzmyQ?t=1m24s

I turned it on the first time and my GF jumped in her seat.

Overall:
This was a pretty rash purchase. 600 dollars a month is pretty crazy, though I read someone has a 950 dollar payment. Now that's crazy. He was $8000 in the hole on his old car, and didn't put a down payment. Not my car, not my problem.

But every time I get into the car and start it, hearing the fuel pump pressurize, then the roar of the car, it makes it a little bit more worth it.

If there's anything else you want to hear about, let me know!
The 2016 includes push button start. So futuristic!

Actually the 49 dodge and other cars then had push button starters.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
archer1965

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Here's my short review: AWESOME!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
No mods planned. It's pretty darn good out of the box.
Trust me, there will be some mods. There will aways be some mods.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #12
enzia35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Trust me, there will be some mods. There will aways be some mods.
I refuse! Also can't afford!