Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
Angry Cheap towns, Cheap pothole filling

Its that time of the year when potholes are being filled all over the place. Some towns/cities use asphalt to fill them in, but not one of my neighboring towns. Now, i don't know what goes into deciding what to use or who decides this stuff but this particular town decided to use loose pebbles to fill the potholes and cracks. So far i found them on one road , luckily i was driving my work truck so it didn't bother me as much but you can hear the pebbles hitting the underside of the vehicle. I even road by while they were spraying the pebbles all over the road, not worrying about the excess they left behind. This is terrible for people who take car of their cars, like myself, but also really unsafe for motorcycles and such. Do they even think about these things when they decide to use pebbles instead of asphalt??
Now im little afraid to drive my camaro through random roads and finding pebbles everywhere, and this is supposed to be one of the rich towns in the area too. Hopefully my town doesn't do this.
i really have to look into getting clear bra now.

anyway, be safe out there everyone, i feel like people are out to get us with all these posts with crashed camaros

Julian
Jdelgado92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Welcome to the wonderful world of "chip sealing!" It is cheaper than asphalt which I'm sure doesn't surprise you. They do it a lot out west and made a wealthy celebrity out of one glass guy (Rick Chance, Empire Glass). Every time they do a road cracked windshields all around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of "chip sealing!" It is cheaper than asphalt which I'm sure doesn't surprise you. They do it a lot out west and made a wealthy celebrity out of one glass guy (Rick Chance, Empire Glass). Every time they do a road cracked windshields all around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal
I don't think that's what the OP is talking about if he's saying they literally filled the pothole with pebbles that easily get spread all over the road surface. My apartment's parking lot is chip seal, and although there's a little bit of debris in some areas, most of the surface is stationary and well sealed.

Here's a picture of a typical chip seal road. It's not exactly a loose gravel road, or they wouldn't be able to put lane markers on them.

If there's a really bad pothole and it either isn't being filled properly or even at all, the solution is to buy a cheap can of spray paint and make a quick cock and balls on it. Somebody did this about a year ago, and his local public works filled every pothole pretty quickly. It's amazing the lengths people go to get off their butt so long as it's for the cause of removing something sexually offensive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...-potholes.html
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post
I even road by while they were spraying the pebbles all over the road,...
Do they even think about these things when they decide to use pebbles instead of asphalt??

Julian
Was there a big tanker-like truck spraying down a tar like liquid binder? Sure sounds like they filled the holes and chipsealed the repair from that description. That is exactly how it is done, do some grading to smooth out road, spray binder down, cover the road with pebbles. If you don't use asphalt as he says then what were they using?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

There are concrete roads, asphalt roads, chipsealed roads, and gravel roads. As the op states they were not using asphalt. Obviously not concrete or gravel. So they were using aggregate or pebbles, i.e., chipseal. OP I bet there was a truck like this around spraying down a binder before they spread the aggregate, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post
Some towns/cities use asphalt to fill them in, but not one of my neighboring towns. Now, i don't know what goes into deciding what to use or who decides this stuff but this particular town decided to use loose pebbles to fill the potholes and cracks. I even road by while they were spraying the pebbles all over the road, not worrying about the excess they left behind.

Julian
That sure sound like chipseal to me.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

OK did a little checking:
Maybe "Spray Injection Patching?" Similar to chipseal, but on a smaller scale not doing the entire road surface?

http://asphaltmagazine.com/preventin...vement-cracks/

Spray-injection patching

Spray-injection patching is a method of repairing small pavement defects with semi-permanent repairs, particularly during wet or cold weather. This method requires a truck or trailer-mounted unit that contains an emulsion tank, aggregate tank, heating components, high-volume blower, telescoping boom with injection head and the necessary controls. The operation consists of cleaning the patch area with compressed air to remove loose material and debris, applying a tack coat of hot asphalt emulsion, blowing the combined aggregate and hot emulsion into the patch with forced air, and then placing a dry coat of aggregate on top of the patch to prevent tracking.

The aggregate used in this method is usually a one-size stone similar to a chip-seal aggregate. Compaction is accomplished by the force of the air as the mix is sprayed into the patch in layers. The method is especially effective for pothole patching.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Jdelgado92

I did a little bit of research and found some pics. The correct term try use is "dry spray injetion" or something like that but this is pretty much how it it looks..
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I just ran through some fresh pot hole patch, at least they're trying, sounded like a hail storm! I took the alternate route back. I can just imagine it's all stuck over the felt.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Around here, they grade the old asphalt layer down to a rough graded road surface and then they apply a fresh new coat of asphalt. However, if you happen to be driving on the rough graded road surface, there can be rocks and pebbles that kick up, not including the debris thrown back at you from vehicles in front (especially trucks with no rear mud flaps) as they blast down the road oblivious to any and all road conditions. Luckily, I've been able to avoid most of these areas, though I did have to turn around a few times.

What bothers me the most are those stupid gravel and dirt hauler trucks that you see speeding down the freeways. Those things can really do some damage to your vehicle if you happen get behind them while on the freeway.

I think they should outlaw open top container dump trucks and dirt haulers on the freeways. I have tried to avoid driving on the freeways at all costs due to this problem. That is, until I can devise a surefire method to eliminate damage done to my new car while driving on the freeway from these rigs.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
Jdelgado92

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
Around here, they grade the old asphalt layer down to a rough graded road surface and then they apply a fresh new coat of asphalt. However, if you happen to be driving on the rough graded road surface, there can be rocks and pebbles that kick up, not including the debris thrown back at you from vehicles in front (especially trucks with no rear mud flaps) as they blast down the road oblivious to any and all road conditions. Luckily, I've been able to avoid most of these areas, though I did have to turn around a few times.

What bothers me the most are those stupid gravel and dirt hauler trucks that you see speeding down the freeways. Those things can really do some damage to your vehicle if you happen get behind them while on the freeway.

I think they should outlaw open top container dump trucks and dirt haulers on the freeways. I have tried to avoid driving on the freeways at all costs due to this problem. That is, until I can devise a surefire method to eliminate damage done to my new car while driving on the freeway from these rigs.
they grade the roads around here too but the funny thing is that they do it to roads that are still in decent shape while the roads that really need it only get filled in and poorly at that.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Welcome to the NE. In PA, there's so many state maintained roads everywhere that none of them get repaired correctly. I typically try to avoid any roads that I know are crap in the spring because of all of the "fixed" potholes.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
SharonHampton

Drives: audi
I think hiring professional services would be best to fill potholes effectively. They have relevant knowledge and experience to deal with such situation. Unrepaired potholes will chip away and become more severe pavement issues, therefore always choose paving contractors queens, with many years of experience.
SharonHampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
The same stuff they used in that pothole...Add some sand and road salt to keep it loose...that is what the MT DOT uses on our roads when it snows or it's icy.

During the winter months every car on the road gets bombarded with gravel. We are the land of cracked and chipped windshields.

Once it snows they spread it, then it eventually gets blown to the edges by the traffic. As your passed if the driver decides to pull in quickly, not allow at least several car lengths...You get dusted with sand and gravel. Tough to keep a car "like new" out here if you drive it after the first snow.

Most of the surrounding States do the same thing. Short of the SLC metro area...they SALT everything.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #14
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I don't think that's what the OP is talking about if he's saying they literally filled the pothole with pebbles that easily get spread all over the road surface. My apartment's parking lot is chip seal, and although there's a little bit of debris in some areas, most of the surface is stationary and well sealed.

Here's a picture of a typical chip seal road. It's not exactly a loose gravel road, or they wouldn't be able to put lane markers on them.

If there's a really bad pothole and it either isn't being filled properly or even at all, the solution is to buy a cheap can of spray paint and make a quick cock and balls on it. Somebody did this about a year ago, and his local public works filled every pothole pretty quickly. It's amazing the lengths people go to get off their butt so long as it's for the cause of removing something sexually offensive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...-potholes.html
Ive never seen chip seal that nice haha. Around here if they chip seal you dont use the road for 6 months unless you want a new windshield. I moved back to my hometown after being gone 12 years. Im shocked how bad the roads are. We still even have some brick roads!
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote