Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-27-2023, 11:45 AM   #1
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Front plate, or no?

Our state requires a front plate. At least the included bracket from GM doesn't require drilling holes in the SS. But I do worry that the top lip of the bracket will rub the paint on the front bumper over time.

I'm torn. It looks better off, but, not having a front plate is technically illegal. I don't have a front plate on one of my other cars (older Camaro, front bumper was never drilled, and I don't have a bracket). I was pulled over in that car recently (for speeding, fair and square) and the officer didn't notice or didn't care that it didn't have a front plate. In fact he just told me to please slow down, and let me go. I wonder how much front plates actually get enforced (WA).
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
If it's not enforced in your area, just go with out it. Use the ZL1 addons tow hook mount. Use of a front plate is heavily enforced in my area and I quit giving them a reason to jack me about it because it always led in to measuring my tint and getting lectured about shit.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:18 PM   #3
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
My answer
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2023, 12:35 PM   #4
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I don't have one, though it is required. I think they look horrible on the front of most cars. But our cops generally don't hassle people over dumb shit like in most other states. So if you are in a state where cops looks for any reason to stop people, hassle them, and extort money from them, I would probably get one.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:36 PM   #5
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Definitely required in California, that being said I haven't run a front plate in over 15 years.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
I only run a front plate on my daily.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:49 PM   #7
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
I used the factory bracket that requires no drilling. It was in my trunk when I picked the car up. No reason to not run one, especially here in Jersey.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #8
FH-ZL1

Drives: 2021 ZL1
When I lived in Washington State, I was out for a drive one day in my last 68 Camaro which had collector plates on it and was pulled over by this gung-ho cop for no front plate. (The state only issues a rear plate for collector cars) As I tried to explain that to him, he went on to state the statute that made him right. (which he wasn't of course) At the time, I was also the Parts Manager for the local Chevrolet/Cadillac Dealership and drove a Demonstrator for my personal vehicle which also only has a rear plate in Washington State, so I asked him what about those? He had no answer, gave me back my license and wished me a good day.

Typically though, I prefer not to give the local constables any excuse to "visit" with me and if the state had issued a front collector plate, it would have been on the car.

While everyones experiences will be different of course, my 55 years in Washington State taught me that the State as well as local municipalities often view traffic/vehicle laws enforcement as a dependable source of revenue and rarely pass up an opportunity to take advantage of that. As much as I would HATE it, if I still lived there, my ZL1 would have a front plate.

This is just one of many reasons I now live in Arizona. On the first day of ownership of my ZL1 and with the car having a whopping 75 miles on it, I was being a bit over enthusiastic with the throttle and had the opportunity to have a conversation with a local constable. After advising me to take it easy to better preserve what have turned out to be amazingly low insurance rates for me for this car, he wished me a safe day and off I went with a warning that certainly would have gotten me a (admittedly well deserved) ticket in Washington State.

As always...YMMV.
FH-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #9
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Here in BC where I keep the car a front plate is required, but I registered the car in Alberta where they do not issue a front plate so there is nothing to put on the front.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #10
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I really can't speak poorly about Washington State other than the front plate requirement has been eclipsed by the modern world and it feels unfortunate that it still exists or could be enforced. In 3 years of not running a front plate on the other Camaro, I've never been bothered, and my encounter with WSP I mentioned was surprisingly pleasant -- and as a result, i'm more mindful of my speed.

I will probably cave on this one, and put the front plate on the new SS. It doesn't require drilling. I'll take my chances on the other Camaro which rarely gets driven and is very close to qualifying for "collector" status where only a rear plate is required.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:38 PM   #11
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
I'm supposed to but I just am not, as I'm with others in thinking the clip on bracket might scratch the paint. Nice to know there's at least another option if they actually start giving me shit for it (So far nothing)
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 05:03 PM   #12
TransamGTA350

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
Front plate is required in most states, but as stated, enforcement is hit or miss. Connecticut requires one, but doesn't seem to enforce it much. You see lots of cars on the road here with no front plate. I do run a front plate on my daily drivers because I don't want to give any extra reason to be pulled over, but no front plate on the fun cars and haven't ever been hassled for that. It just depends on your state and worst case is you pay the fine. Just make sure the car is legal otherwise.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:21 PM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
It’s required in Ma. but typically not enforced. However, it’s considered a moving violation…here that’s 6 years of an insurance surcharge. While it looks like crap, I hate insurance premiums even more.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 07:52 PM   #14
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Get a Sto N Sho plate mount, I have it and keep my plate in my trunk, I can snap the plate on in 15 seconds if needed...
https://stonsho.com/collections/cama...s-lt1-ls-sns89
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote