Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
Details Leaked On The Upcoming SRT Barracuda

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-srt-barracuda

Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
GrabberB5.Slow

Drives: 2011 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Never was a fan of the old Cuda, always liked the Challenger more. But it will be pretty cool to see what they come out with.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
So, Chrysler Corp. is bringing back Plymouth, huh?

This is the business equivalent of Chevrolet creating a Firebird. It just doesn't make fiscal sense. But hey, if they want to throw R&D money away, they are welcome to do so...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Hardly throwing it away, Cuda has brand cache on it's own, an SRT Cuda will sell just as well as if it said Plymouth on it, and honestly, with what Plymouth had become, probably better.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Hrrm....at "only" 300 lbs less than the current Challenger, that will make the Cuda what today's Challenger is to the Mustang and Camaro. The biggest/heaviest option out of the 3 by far. I was expecting something in the 3,400 to 3,600 lb range.

Next gen Mustang/Camaro will be in the 3,300 - 3,600 lb range depending on whether its the lightest base car all the way up to a top trim GT/SS car....while 300 lbs off the challenger would put it in the 3,700 - 3,800 lb range I believe.

As long as it looks good, and has power though, it will sell. If it doesn't look great, and is the most fat, then SRT will have problems moving these things.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Very interesting, but going to have to lose more than 300 lbs to get me to even consider one.

According to Automobile Mag, the 2013 Challenger SRT-8 weighs 4168 lbs. The R/T weighs 4083.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
I'm glad they are bringing it back. It's kinda like the 60s and the 70s allover again.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Hrrm....at "only" 300 lbs less than the current Challenger, that will make the Cuda what today's Challenger is to the Mustang and Camaro. The biggest/heaviest option out of the 3 by far. I was expecting something in the 3,400 to 3,600 lb range.

Next gen Mustang/Camaro will be in the 3,300 - 3,600 lb range depending on whether its the lightest base car all the way up to a top trim GT/SS car....while 300 lbs off the challenger would put it in the 3,700 - 3,800 lb range I believe.

As long as it looks good, and has power though, it will sell. If it doesn't look great, and is the most fat, then SRT will have problems moving these things.
I think they are assuming it is going to using an even more scaled down version of the LX/LC platform which is not the case. From everything else i have read, it will be built on a new MUCH lighter and smaller platform designed to be used with Alfa. Of course it is all only guesses right now.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
So, Chrysler Corp. is bringing back Plymouth, huh?

This is the business equivalent of Chevrolet creating a Firebird. It just doesn't make fiscal sense. But hey, if they want to throw R&D money away, they are welcome to do so...

Keep in mind that SRT is now a dedicated division of Chrysler, it is no longer part of Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep, it is it's own "brand"

Chrysler
Dodge
Jeep
Ram
SRT

While it will be sold under the respective nameplates, it is in fact it's own entity, so the vehicles will be called:

SRT Challenger
SRT Viper
SRT 300
SRT Charger
SRT Grand Cherokee

Their own badging and separate marketing. They will not be marketed as an upgraded trim level, but as a brand.

so branding an SRT 'Cuda makes sense from that stand point, it is not a Chrysler or a Plymouth, it is an SRT....
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
here are the concept images from Car and Driver on the 2015 SRT-Barracuda.

More on this car here: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...da-future-cars
Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

I think the main problem with the Challenger was that the SRT was $10-15k more than the Mustang and Camaro. And instead of making the SRT more affordable, they made it faster (which is great) but even more unaffordable (which is not great). And then they left the R/T, which is slower than either, basically the same. If they try to make the Cuda a $45-50k car I dont think that's going to work. Ford & Chevy do a really good job of making performance accessible at a great price. I hope Dodge follows their lead.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I think the main problem with the Challenger was that the SRT was $10-15k more than the Mustang and Camaro. And instead of making the SRT more affordable, they made it faster (which is great) but even more unaffordable (which is not great). And then they left the R/T, which is slower than either, basically the same. If they try to make the Cuda a $45-50k car I dont think that's going to work. Ford & Chevy do a really good job of making performance accessible at a great price. I hope Dodge follows their lead.
This.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
They have to turn these high performance cars into high priced boutique models in order to prevent too many of us schlubs from buying too many of them and messing up their CAFE numbers.

You can get the hybrid version or the 4 cylinder. Be glad you get that much.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Hardly throwing it away, Cuda has brand cache on it's own, an SRT Cuda will sell just as well as if it said Plymouth on it, and honestly, with what Plymouth had become, probably better.
Have you seen the production numbers for the Challenger?

This will only rob from those production numbers. And considering the price bracket they're pobably going to end up in, I doubt it's going to be any bigger of a seller than the Challenger.

So, yeah, fiscally doesn't make sense to me...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote