Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Should they offer the 10 speed auto?
Yes they should do it! More choice = More sales! 84 60.43%
No they shouldn't! This car is about tradition and a pure driving experience! 55 39.57%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #57
brick777

Drives: 1999 SS
Yes Z28 with A10

I too want to drive this to be released incredible road car. All the modern technology should be afforded to the Z28 to make it even faster around a road course. Make it so fast that it holds its own up against the best.
brick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #58
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
I think a A10 should be offered as minimum.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:19 AM   #59
Tractionless

Drives: '03 Silverado
I say yes to the A10. With the amount of power cars are putting out today, manual shifting is getting to be a handful, thus people keep missing shifts, affecting the car's potential. With the A10, track times should be more consistent than with the manual, even for noobs behind the wheel.
Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #60
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Yes, the Z/28 should have the auto option. There is absolutely no good or logical reason to not offer it.

Pros - more sales and quicker drag strip performance (for those who will drag race).

Cons - NONE other than those who will get their panties all in a bunch over some well intentioned but misplaced loyalty to historical precedence.

Offering an auto in the Z28 just allows more people to buy and enjoy the car and increases the GMs bottom line with more sales.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #61
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
If it can get faster lap times and stay cool. Give it an A10 option.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #62
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
If it can get faster lap times and stay cool. Give it an A10 option.
Exactly!! Performance s the name of the game, go for it!
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #63
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Superfly View Post
Personally I think that as long as the 10 speed lives up to the hype and a manual is still available/standard they should do it. There is nothing wrong with having more choice.
I voted no mainly because to allow the A10 into such a limited production car so gives the let's-eventually-have-only-automatics contingent yet another toehold in the struggle to retain any conventional manual transmissions at all.

People who are OK with having automatics in their commuters, SUVs, and what-not can't see the potential for loss of choice as clearly as those of us who still expect to have a MT in our family sedans.

A separate reason is that making the A10 available opens the door for buyers who don't understand what a limited production serious track-intended car is all about - to go from having their transmission preference granted to whining about the absence of all manner of other features. It's a slippery slope . . . and a sad, diluted shell of what the car should be awaits.

I hope that those who keep pointing to automatics typically being capable of better performance - in straight lines, anyway - eventually come to understand that that isn't the be-all, end-all to driving satisfaction. With computers doing everything to get the power to the ground, from shifting to controlling wheelspin, what's left for the driver to ever be good enough at to get any satisfaction from?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-13-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #64
Thor142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I voted no mainly because to allow the A10 into such a limited production car so gives the let's-eventually-have-only-automatics contingent yet another toehold in the struggle to retain any conventional manual transmissions at all.

People who are OK with having automatics in their commuters, SUVs, and what-not can't see the potential for loss of choice as clearly as those of us who still expect to have a MT in our family sedans.

A separate reason is that making the A10 available opens the door for buyers who don't understand what a limited production serious track-intended car is all about - to go from having their transmission preference granted to whining about the absence of all manner of other features. It's a slippery slope . . . and a sad, diluted shell of what the car should be awaits.

I hope that those who keep pointing to automatics typically being capable of better performance - in straight lines, anyway - eventually come to understand that that isn't the be-all, end-all to driving satisfaction. With computers doing everything to get the power to the ground, from shifting to controlling wheelspin, what's left for the driver to ever be good enough at to get any satisfaction from?

Norm
I get what you are trying to say here but it's a road legal race car right? That's the intent right? So if the A10 makes it a better racecar, with faster lap times then the intent is not diluted. Old guys that talk smak about my car wax poetic about the days of solid lifters and carbs, but lets face it faster is faster.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #65
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I really don't understand automatic hate and bias towards manual if it can be proven that the auto is indeed more efficient, quicker shifting and gets the times better.
It's because with an AT it's a matter of most everything except you that's getting better. Thinking that you had much to do with it is to be kidding yourself. Maybe there are people who are OK with that, but I've never understood it and probably never will.

Quote:
Preferring a stick over an auto just because it feels better or keeps the driver more "connected" in the feel-good department over raw performance data is like intentionally choosing an abacus over a computer for doing complex math. It just doesn't make any sense. Sure, you can choose which beads to move when, but I'd rather a computer do my hardcore math. It'll do it faster and more consistently every time.
For a different analogy - suppose you were running the hundred yard dash against a person of comparable ability to yourself. Would you rather beat him on technique or would you be OK with beating him because he was wearing ankle weights?

In longer endurance sessions measured in hours rather than minutes (HPDE) or seconds (drags), the MT is likely to remain a better choice than a conventional automatic. DSGs are another story for a different thread.

Norm
Old 05-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #66
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
I get what you are trying to say here but it's a road legal race car right? That's the intent right? So if the A10 makes it a better racecar, with faster lap times then the intent is not diluted. Old guys that talk smak about my car wax poetic about the days of solid lifters and carbs, but lets face it faster is faster.
See post #65. Sometimes it's about you getting better more than it's about the car becoming mechanically (electronically?) more capable. A 'win' at HPDE is driving your car home in the same condition you drove up in, minus some tire and brake wear. It's knocking a little time off your previous personal best lap time in the same car.

I'm an old guy (retired, even), and what I've found is that there is good tech (that handles the few tasks I can't keep up with) and for lack of a less harsh term "bad tech" that takes tasks that a driver should keeping up with away from him. There is a lot to like about the evolution of engine performance since I started driving 50+ years ago, but I can see no satisfaction coming from driving a car whose transmission shifts near-perfectly every time, might as well be sitting in front of a video game. Yes, I've driven AT cars, and I can even rev-match an AT's forced downshift (how many people even know that this can be done?). But they still aren't much fun to drive.

Norm
Old 05-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #67
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It's because with an AT it's a matter of most everything except you that's getting better. Thinking that you had much to do with it is to be kidding yourself. Maybe there are people who are OK with that, but I've never understood it and probably never will.

Norm
Speaking of not understanding things. I have 0 idea what you're even trying to convey.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #68
Thor142

Quote:
Speaking of not understanding things. I have 0 idea what you're even trying to convey.
I think what he's trying to say is get off my lawn you damn kids.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #69
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

What I believe Norm is trying to say is that an advanced automatic like the 10speed takes away some of the driver skill involved in making the car go fast.

I remember that was a knock on the GTR when it first came back, anyone can drive it fast, but its bc of all the tech in the car is helping you do everything.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #70
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
What I believe Norm is trying to say is that an advanced automatic like the 10speed takes away some of the driver skill involved in making the car go fast.

I remember that was a knock on the GTR when it first came back, anyone can drive it fast, but its bc of all the tech in the car is helping you do everything.
Like computer controlled fuel injection, spark timing, torque vectoring, variable awd control systems (in cars that use it), shift lights, tire temp and pressure monitoring systems, etc.

Those all do the same thing and take away driver skill levels required to make the car go fast because you're allowing a machine to provide you with information as opposed to making the driver directly infer it (or actively adjust it) based on how the car feels or is reacting to situations.

If people so desperately want an analog car, then they should be looking to an older platform or making one from a body in white.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote